Dillon to much $$$$ What's next best?

FLHTC

NES Member
Hello everyone, when I figured what the Dillon (550) would cost me with all the extras that I need I was looking at almost $700. I can’t swing that at this time. So what would you guy’s recommend for a beginner, a turret or singe stage press? Any suggestions?

I've done some research here, and it seems most people say that in the long run, getting a dillow is the best way to go as you will not have to "rebuy" stuff down the road if you continue with reloading. Also, it holds its resale value quite well.

I have a Hornady Lock-n-Load and you won't save any money going that route. If you are only reloading one caliber you might try a Dillon Square Deal. Otherwise you're probably looking at a single stage press.

If you don't want to splurge for a quality progressive, consider the Lee Breech Lock single stage. With the quick-change bushings it makes for very speedy die changes. There's no way it can match the speed of a progressive, but if you are using the batch method, you can approach the same production rate as a turret. It's around $60 too, and caliber changes involve buying new dies (~$50) and new bushings (~$5). It comes with it's own priming system, so a balance scale and a decent powder drop will will be all you need to get started. That being said, you really can't go wrong with a Dillon. Hell, considering how well they hold their value, you could probably recoup almost your entire expense if you didn't like it and wanted to sell it right away after trying it out.

Hello everyone, when I figured what the Dillon (550) would cost me with all the extras that I need I was looking at almost $700. I can’t swing that at this time. So what would you guy’s recommend for a beginner, a turret or singe stage press? Any suggestions?

What sort of "extras" do you think you need that will add more than $300 to the cost of a 550B?

I've got an XL-650 and tooling for two calibers and I haven't spent $700 yet (I still want the case feeder attachment).

I sat down with a friend who has a 550 and he suggested that I buy the stand, the ammo tray, the optional handle, case trimmer, primmer tool and the device to check the cases. I would need dies for the .38, .44mag and 45acp.

The Square Deal will save you a bit over 100 bucks compared to the 550 but loads a limited number of handgun calibers and no rifle calibers. I don't know what you shoot but if you're into cowboy shooting, it doesn't come in most of the old blackpowder calibers and if you're a fan of action pistol it doesn't come in .357 Sig. The .327mag isn't listed either but you can probably use the .32/.32mag dies for that one. The 550 is much more versatile and you won't need to buy a second machine later. I didn't see your second post until I had put this in. If you're loading for 3 calibers then the cost savings is not that great because the Square Deal comes with 1 die set. You'll still have to buy 2 more either way.

Last edited:
It appears you intend to load only pistol ammo. You don't need the case trimmer, the primer tool? Do you mean the primer tube filler? You don't need that either. You can get along without the strong mount. Lot's of things are nice additions, but, if you went with a single stage or a Lee product, you wouldn't get them either.

I have a Hornady Lock-n-Load and you won't save any money going that route. If you are only reloading one caliber you might try a Dillon Square Deal. Otherwise you're probably looking at a single stage press.

The real savings with the LnL comes when you add multiple calibers. The incremental cost (adding an additional caliber) of a shell plate and bushings is less than caliber conversion kits and tool heads. The dies are a wash since you can use any die on any machine.

The only problem is the LnL is just about impossible to find in stock right now. I had my heart set on one but lost patience and bought a 550B instead.

It appears you intend to load only pistol ammo. You don't need the case trimmer, the primer tool? Do you mean the primer tube filler? You don't need that either. You can get along without the strong mount. Lot's of things are nice additions, but, if you went with a single stage or a Lee product, you wouldn't get them either.

So based on what you've said here I could get away with just the machine for the time being. I would start with .45ACP and then add calibers as I go?

So based on what you've said here I could get away with just the machine for the time being. I would start with .45ACP and then add calibers as I go?

I've been getting away with just the machine for over a year now. All I got for extras were the primer flip tray and the strong mount. I needed the strong mount because I don't have any overhang on the surface of my bench, so I needed some clearance for the handle. The flip tray was just a convenient extra, not a necessity if money was tight. You really don't need any extras to make full use of the machine.

I picked up an L-N-L when they first came out with the case feeder for about $450 (including the case feeder) - and I didn't have to wait. It was the best money I ever spent. I kept my 550 around with the intention of leaving it set up to load .38 Special, but ended up selling it because caliber changes on the L-N-L ended up being pretty painless.

I just took the Dillon plunge about 3 weeks ago. I went with the 550.
Extras I got were:
  • Primer Flip Tray
  • Alum. Roller Handle
  • Extra pickup tubes
  • Extra die lock rings and bench wrench

I think i spent about $500. I have been 100% satisfied so far.
Should have never started with the lee....

Good luck,
Steve

You definitely do not need the trimmer if you are just reloading pistols(it only works with rifle brass).

You may want to go ahead and get the caliber conversions that you know you want, and dies - but if the budget is real tight start with one and build.

I am a little frightened of the amount of blue in my reloading room (650, 550, and enough toolheads/stands/powder measures to fund a nice retirement....

J

I agree with Dan S, you don't need to start with all the "Bells and Whistles".
I've been using an RL550 for 20+ years and haven't yet found a need for the Strong Mount or Roller Handle. For pistol rounds, you don't need the case trimmer, and you only need a primer pocket swage tool for once-fired military brass. The only extras you'll need right away, that don't come with the press, is a primer flip tray and a powder scale. Adding more calibers later is easy. I started with just 9mm and now I'm up to 18 different calibers from .32ACP to .30-06.

Last edited:
The real savings with the LnL comes when you add multiple calibers. The incremental cost (adding an additional caliber) of a shell plate and bushings is less than caliber conversion kits and tool heads. The dies are a wash since you can use any die on any machine.

The only problem is the LnL is just about impossible to find in stock right now. I had my heart set on one but lost patience and bought a 550B instead.

That's very true, which is why I bought one [grin] But you really won't see any significant savings until you're 3 or 4 calibers deep. If you're doing just .45 and .223 like me the Dillon/Hornady debate is a wash.

Love my LnL btw, had one on backorder at Midway for months and got lucky, found one of the updated models on Amazon, of all places.

what do you shoot the most of? start there. you can get a basic dillon setup (press, dies, and one caliber conversion) for under $500.

get a scale used for $30-50 (i have one i'd be willing to sell ya...RCBS Model 502 beam scale), a case gauge for that caliber (not NEEDED, but highly recommended), and a primer flip tray.

after that, all ya need is components.

i've probably got nearly $2k into my reloading room now....but i bought a little at a time...$40-50 here and there, with my presses (550B and a RockChucker) being the only real "big" investments. start small. you could conceivably spend $700 in components alone for those 3 calibers...

.45acp is a good one to start with too. VERY forgiving (it's a relatively low pressure round, and your brass will last almost indefinitely).

if ya wanna take a peek at my setup, depending on your location, you're more than welcome to come by and give the 550b a try. you REALLY cant go wrong with Dillon.

Back
Top Bottom