Dillon Precision upgrades

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
The big brown truck just dropped of a box from Dillon Precision. In the box were two quick-change kits for the RL-550B.

I’m not sure when the change was made, but the powder measure has a new failsafe rod assembly. This new rod eliminated the need for the two powder bar springs. It also ensures that the powder bar returns to its closed position.

My old rod will not work with the new powder measure assembly. There is no way to attach the throttle clip.

A quick call to the customer service department cleared things up. They are sending me a new failsafe rod. Therefore, I need to wait a few more days to finish setting up the quick-change kit for my new calibers. The customer service rep told me that the new rod would work with the old powder measures.

I just thought this was something that reloaders might want to keep in mind if they have older powder measures from Dillon and think they might want to start another caliber. Make sure they send you the new rod!

The big brown truck just dropped of a box from Dillon Precision. In the box were two quick-change kits for the RL-550B.

I’m not sure when the change was made, but the powder measure has a new failsafe rod assembly. This new rod eliminated the need for the two powder bar springs. It also ensures that the powder bar returns to its closed position.

My old rod will not work with the new powder measure assembly. There is no way to attach the throttle clip.

A quick call to the customer service department cleared things up. They are sending me a new failsafe rod. Therefore, I need to wait a few more days to finish setting up the quick-change kit for my new calibers. The customer service rep told me that the new rod would work with the old powder measures.

I just thought this was something that reloaders might want to keep in mind if they have older powder measures from Dillon and think they might want to start another caliber. Make sure they send you the new rod!

I had an older powder measure when upgrading my 550 to the 550B this past year and
my powder measure had to be sent back to be replaced as there was no way to retro
it. Another I could upgrade. The one that had the old black lever on the powder slide
was the one that had to be sent back. How old is your Dillon? If it is real old you might
be in the same boat. A lot of the Dillon CSR's are not familiar with the really old 550's.
Mine is an early 550 (now 550B).

Last edited:
Boston Patriot,
The customer service rep told me that the new rod would work with the old powder measure.
I did not say I believed him! [grin]

How old is your Dillon? If it is real old you might
be in the same boat.
I purchased my RL-550B new in 1995. I do not know what constitutes the difference between the 550 and the 550B.
A lot of the Dillon CSR's are not familiar with the really old 550's.
I have had ones that were very helpful and knowledgeable; others not so much.

Boston Patriot,

I did not say I believed him! [grin]

I purchased my RL-550B new in 1995. I do not know what constitutes the difference between the 550 and the 550B.

I have had ones that were very helpful and knowledgeable; others not so much.

I purchased mine in 1986 so you might be OK with your powder measure. Here is a scan
of the old powder measure mechanism that I had on my press that was incompatible with
the new set up and they replaced the entire powder measure at no cost.

RL550PowderSystem.jpg

odd. i'm having a similiar issue with the new collar Dillon sent me for my Square Deal.

(CliffsNotes: Collar on powder measure got stripped out. they sent me a new one. go dillon!)

problem: there is no longer a failsafe. usually, if there's no brass below the hopper, the powder bar wont move. now, every crank of the handle moves the powder bar out at least 75% of the way, even without a piece of brass below it. I've gotta give Dillon a call about it, but the work schedule has been hectic, and i never catch them when they're still open.

Back
Top Bottom