Dillon 550 primer feed jamming...

So I tried my 550 for the first time yesterday, and primers jammed in the magazine. I disassembled the assembly and found the blue end cap had gotten fairly well crushed and mangled. Any idea why?

So I tried my 550 for the first time yesterday, and primers jammed in the magazine. I disassembled the assembly and found the blue end cap had gotten fairly well crushed and mangled. Any idea why?

Silly question, but are you using the correct primer magazine tube? If you use
the large tube and put smalls in it, bad things will probably happen.

-Mike

Thats one of the parts that I keep extras handy for. If there is one thing that I consider a bit flawed with the 550 is the primer feeding and loading of the primers. Make sure your using both the right tube and even the end feeder on the tube needs to be sized correctly or they will go in wrong.

Here's a likely possibility: The tube was not inserted correctly.

The primer feed tip - that plastic thing on the end - is keyed. The open end faces the machine; the back, which has a rib, faces you.

The feed tube should be inserted carefully - that means NOT just dropped in - and then turned back and forth slightly, to confirm it is in the correct position. Then the feeder cap can be screwed lightly on.

Replace the tip you mangled and start again.

The primer feed tip - that plastic thing on the end - is keyed. The open end faces the machine; the back, which has a rib, faces you.

The feed tube should be inserted carefully - that means NOT just dropped in - and then turned back and forth slightly, to confirm it is in the correct position. Then the feeder cap can be screwed lightly on.

+1 on the primer feed tube alignment. Also, if you have any primer feeding problems, replace the plastic nipple before you try anything else. I once spent an hour trying to adjust the primer slide to cure a feeding problem, only to find it was a worn out nipple.

+1 on the primer feed tube alignment. Also, if you have any primer feeding problems, replace the plastic nipple before you try anything else. I once spent an hour trying to adjust the primer slide to cure a feeding problem, only to find it was a worn out nipple.

While we're on the topic, I thought I would add a hint to improve primer feeding. Take a 1/4-20 thread wing nut and screw it on to the top of the plastic primer follower rod. The extra weight will improve feeding. Since I don't use a low primer warning system on my 550, I replaced the plastic follower with a brass rod to add a little extra weight. Works great.

That is probably it, Scriv. Thanks, I'll be trying it again.

And yes, I'm using the right sized tube.

Back
Top Bottom