• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Digital Powder Scale and dispenser

Knob Creek

NES Member
I'm looking for a Digital Powder Scale and dispenser.
Anyone have experience with the Lyman 1200 DPS, or RCBS Chargemaster 1500, or the PACT High Speed Digital?

I have an old PACT (about 10 years old) that has been upgraded. It works well, but I'd get the RCBS.

6mmbr.com has a review of all of them all and the RCBS came out on top.

B

I have a Pact since they first came out. Never had a problem.
I like the seperate dispenser/ scale idea because I can invert the dispeser to dump the last of the powder. You can't do that with the other unit's without risking damage to the strain gauges on the scale.

I have been reloading for about 30 years and I am a gadget freak. I have replaced all of my equipment many times over, except the cheapo beam scale I got with my first Lyman press. Why, because the cheapo scale works too well. Ammo prepared using this scale has almost always performed well on the chrono, and when it didn't, it wasn't the scale (last time it was a faulty powder measure). Save your money.

I have been reloading for about 30 years and I am a gadget freak. I have replaced all of my equipment many times over, except the cheapo beam scale I got with my first Lyman press. Why, because the cheapo scale works too well. Ammo prepared using this scale has almost always performed well on the chrono, and when it didn't, it wasn't the scale (last time it was a faulty powder measure). Save your money.

I concur 100%.

Knob Creek,
What are you trying to do?

Respectfully,

jkelly

For some good reviews check out www.Midway.com and look at the product you are considering and you will be able to check reviews submitted by others. I was considering the Pact and Lyman digital scales and I opted to spend a few bucks more and go with the Dillon. Also check out www.reloadbench.com for some really good product info.

Hope that helps

I have the pact dispenser ( infered (spelling ) ) goes with a pact infered scale. I would give you a good price on the dispenser if you are interested.

Do you still drive a model A Ford? My Ohaus 10-10 has not been used in years. The digital scales are not only fast, but accurate.
They were originally made for use in weighing gold, silver, and other precious metals.

Knob Creek,
What are you trying to do?

Respectfully,

jkelly
Well I've got my two Dillon 550's for pistol. One set up for large primers and one for small. I've been loading rifle calibers on my Lyman Orange Crusher using Lee dippers droping onto a Dillon beam scale for a lot of years. Was looking for something to speed up that powder measuring piece.

Well I've got my two Dillon 550's for pistol. One set up for large primers and one for small. I've been loading rifle calibers on my Lyman Orange Crusher using Lee dippers droping onto a Dillon beam scale for a lot of years. Was looking for something to speed up that powder measuring piece.--- Knob Creek
Here’s what I think about throwing and measuring powder.

1. Beam scales are more accurate then electronic* scales.
2. Electronic* scales are faster to use then beam scales.
3. Electronic* scales can be used to load all but the most accurate ammo.

I think you are looking to speed up loading your rifle calibers, while still measuring each load, as compared to using the Lee dippers and a beam scale (and while not trying to load beach rest quality ammo).

You can do that by switching to a stand alone powder drop similar to the one in your Dillon 550’s, like the Lyman 55 or the Reading 3BR, an electronic scale and a powder dribbler. If you use a proper technique you can load accurate rifle ammo.

The technique goes something like this. You throw powder from the powder drop into the electronics scale’s pan (the pan is held under and touching powder drop). The pan is placed on the calibrated scale and powder is dribbled into the pan until the proper amount is reached.

Keys to speed are adjusting the powder drop, to drop 0.1 to 0.2 grains less then desired weight and dribbling powder from a battery powdered dribbler. The closer to the desired throw weight with out going over and the faster the dribbler, the faster you will load.

Keys to accuracy are using the electronic scale in a draft free room. Place a ferrite on the scale’s power cord to reduce power line noise. Repeat each reloading step as exactly as possible. Always approach the desired powder weight from below so that you can dribble the last couple 10ths of a grain of powder thus removing some electronic scale inaccuracies.

*In very expensive units the difference would be so small that you wouldn’t notice it, but you will not be using a very expensive unit (most likely).

Respectfully,

jkelly

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom