Did I screw up?

So, when taking my .223 brass out of my tumbler, I was tapping it (imho lightly) against the side of the plastic tumbler. I noticed after taking out nearly 1500 rounds(over multiple tumbles) that the brass was getting "dinged" when I was tapping it against the side of the tumbler. Will this be taken care of during the resizing process or did I screw up and have to throw out all the brass?

So, when taking my .223 brass out of my tumbler, I was tapping it (imho lightly) against the side of the plastic tumbler. I noticed after taking out nearly 1500 rounds(over multiple tumbles) that the brass was getting "dinged" when I was tapping it against the side of the tumbler. Will this be taken care of during the resizing process or did I screw up and have to throw out all the brass?

Are you sure it wasn't from being extracted from the rifle. You would have to tap it pretty hard to ding it. As long as it isn't dented too bad you will be fine. Iv'e loaded plenty of dinged cases.

It is always best to ask when it comes to reloading. You have to use your own judgment when it comes to brass. 45 brass will last until you lose it 223 you need to keep track of how many times it has been loaded and keep an eye on it especially by the case head for signs of cracking. You should carry a broken case extractor if you are loading rifle calibers just in case.

brass

I have 1000 rds of dont fire dont sell.I pull the bullets and weight the powder.
resized cases and reloaded.they work fine.this was military range pickup.jams crushed,some cut.the bad became 7.62 x 25.the rest reloaded.they blow out like new.

Small dents are OK, as long as the dents don't get mashed in the sizing die. I doubt that you dented them while tapping.

Instead of tappin, get yourself a media seperator (tumble basket), or a metal colander. I use a metal colander, and flip the brass over and over. It gets the media out pretty easily. It's the fastest way to deal with thousands of brass pieces.

Small dents are OK, as long as the dents don't get mashed in the sizing die. I doubt that you dented them while tapping.

Instead of tappin, get yourself a media seperator (tumble basket), or a metal colander. I use a metal colander, and flip the brass over and over. It gets the media out pretty easily. It's the fastest way to deal with thousands of brass pieces.

I seperate out most of the media....just the media thats inside some of the brass pieces is left over. I grab em out by the handful, shake for 3 seconds and they're empty of all media.

Leo, If your going to Cabela's (in E. Hartford), they sell I nice media separator for ~$25. I have one and it really made things easier when I started tumbling rifle brass.

The problem that I keep hearing about with those cheap plastic tumblers is that most people overload them, and then the plastic handle BREAKS off. If you get one of those, don't overload it.
i214213sn01.jpg

Leo, If your going to Cabela's (in E. Hartford), they sell I nice media separator for ~$25. I have one and it really made things easier when I started tumbling rifle brass.

Back
Top Bottom