Dicks??????.....

[shocked] The Smiley says it all.

Went in to Dick's Plymouth this after. to pick up the Rossi single shot .223 bull barrel with scope for $229.00 that I saw advertised in a flyer + 200 free points........It took 1 hr 40 minutes to walk out the door with it. What a CF that place is.

Thumbs Down for Dick's!!

Went in to Dick's Plymouth this after. to pick up the Rossi single shot .223 bull barrel with scope for $229.00 that I saw advertised in a flyer + 200 free points........It took 1 hr 40 minutes to walk out the door with it. What a CF that place is.

Thumbs Down for Dick's!!

The Store name should have been the hint!

Thumbs Down for Dick's!!
I bought a 10/22 there in the spring. It took about an hour for the salesman and a manger to go over my 4473 about 3 times. They had a template to lay over the form with a checklist. Then they did a FA10.

What flyer was the Rossi in? My Sunday circular doesn't have that rifle in it.

I buy a lot of ammo in that very store and the amount of time even just that can take (waiting for/finding someone at the counter, them finding the ammo you're asking for, the walk up to the front to pay, waiting in the 4-5 person line at the 1 (sometimes 2) register open, etc) I can't imagine what it's like buying a firearm. I have in fact been tempted by some of their lever gun ads though.

Yeah, the extra steps are not just maddening for customers...It really is a PITA. Much of what frustrated me as a customer there does the same as a part-timer. The process has sped up some since we installed MIRCS and at least two of us who are genuinely "gun guys", challenge ourselves and one another to get people out quickly. Simultaneous sales however are hard to get done quickly. The extra steps of the unnecessary Massachusetts paperwork and the go over at the register, make timely exits not so easy. We did however, get someone from "I'll take it" to out the door in 32-minutes - not too shabby considering 10-minutes was spent in line at the register. I don't know if things just run at a different pace out here, but so far - most people I've dealt with are understanding. The extra checks are indeed a hassle for the buyer, (and seller alike), but ensure that DSG keeps it's FFL, which represents millions of dollars in inventory....

I will add that though the drive to Pittsfield may be void of any cost savings, all ammo at DSG in Pittsfield is now organized by caliber, both behind the counter and in the stockroom, (ask me how I know). Weekends seem to be the best time to buy, as we usually have 1-3 staff on in The Lodge after 11AM. We're a smaller store and even so, when I run as a solo act, I can be hard to find. I wish it were because I was slacking in the break room, but I actually pride myself in providing customers with service. Look around - you'll find me...The folks that just stand at the counter tapping their feet and waiting for someone to show up, may not realize that they're not the only customers in the store...

Last edited:
I bought a 10/22 there in the spring. It took about an hour for the salesman and a manger to go over my 4473 about 3 times. They had a template to lay over the form with a checklist. Then they did a FA10.

What flyer was the Rossi in? My Sunday circular doesn't have that rifle in it.

It was in a Cape Cod Times flyer..(yes, I do read That Lib rag sometimes). The f-up'd part of it was the Rossi was listed as on sale for 199 with a 6-24 power scope on it in either .243 or .223. When I got there it was in the rack for 229. When I finally got to the register I find out that I get wacked another 20$ for the plastic rifle case!!
At that point I'm pissed but after almost 2 hrs. I'm walking out with that fuc*-in gun no matter what!

I felt bad for the guy who sold it to me. He was a good egg. Not his fault Dick's system is a major CF.

Beware of that place.

Try going into a Mall Dicks and try to walk back into the mall with the ammo.

Apparently the mall has a rule that the store can't allow any items into the mall that will "exceed the firepower of the security guards". And since the guards don't carry, thats pretty much everything (I guess they think you can throw the rounds at them). They can't even allow air guns or paintballs into the mall. A friend of mine who is a local officer actually got into an semi-argument with the girl at the register about it. He just wound up saying "MA'AM I'm a police officer, I'm taking my ammo, into the mall"

I usually avoid this by buying it at the upstairs register, then I just walk downstairs and go into the mall through that exit.

I've bought two guns, one at Dick's North Attleboro and one at Dick's Natick.

North attleboro was a Mossberg 500 F/D combo, took about 45 minutes to an hour, but 20 minutes of that was the guy hunting frantically for the rebate forms.

Natick was about 30 minutes, for a .22.

All in all, I understand that as a big store, they're going to be much more inflexible on their policies. I haven't walked into a Dick's yet where the Lodge associates didn't spend at least a few minutes ranting about the loss prevention people.

Haven't bought a gun at Dicks yet, but I walked into the Worcester one over lunch last week, bought 200 rounds of .223, showed the Lodge guy my LTC - he hands me the ammo - went to the counter, showed HER my LTC, and rang it up. Longest wait was for the guy getting 12GA in the Lodge in front of me, and waiting for this guy in front of me at the register to get his gym shorts run up. Pretty painless, overall.

At Dick's in Natick my 15 year old son was checking out some airsoft equipment. A sales guy told him to leave the area immediately and he could only return when he had someone 18 years old with him.

Haven't been back since...

I purchased a Mossberg 702 Plinkster .22LR at Dick's in Keene last week. The purchase process was not too too bad, but be aware that all their gun sales are final (at least at Keene). You may get a good deal, but have any issues and you're SOL, all warranty issues must go back to the manufacturer.

Turns out my rifle was messed up right out of the box; the sights were so far off that it shot +4 inches left with centered sights and still ~1" left at 25 yards with the rear sight all the way to the right. I call Mossberg, they said take it back to the dealer and have them ship it back. The "return" process was twice as bad as the purchase process, involving logging it into the store, multiple counter-kids looking at it and saying the rear sights "looked like they needed to move to the left" but not having a boresight tool to actually check it [rolleyes], and finally a triple carbon form to log it back into the store inventory so they could ship it. Hopefully Mossberg will get it reasonably quickly, get it fixed and back to me in a timely manner.

Danvers Dick's has a new policy where they lock ammo in a big ugly clear plastic bin thing at the guns n ammo counter , after checking LTC. it's "tamperproof" or something.

Then at the checkout counter they re-check LTC , unlock the stupid bin and ring you up for sale.

The second time I went through this I was annoyed enough to ask why they went through this nonsense. Answer : " Safety ..."

My reply : " You realize that most of the people buying .45 ammo have a concealed and loaded gun on them ... right now. "

Salesman didn't respond to that .... Almost better off going to Walmart.

The second time I went through this I was annoyed enough to ask why they went through this nonsense. Answer : " Safety ..."
Well, keeping one's hindquarters securely covered with multiple layers is a very safe thing to do. [smile]

I've bought ammo at the ones in Taunton and Brockton. Show ID at counter, carry ammo to register, do it again and go.

I haven't bought a gun there, but bought my wife an upgraded pellet gun at Taunton before and was also simple.

Buying ammo or guns at other than dealers is hit or miss on in MA on who works the counters. Used to buy ammo at some Wal-Marts until they caved in to Libs. Very shaky sometimes whether they even had someone in the store that could sell it.

Dana

Danvers Dick's has a new policy where they lock ammo in a big ugly clear plastic bin thing at the guns n ammo counter , after checking LTC. it's "tamperproof" or something.

Then at the checkout counter they re-check LTC , unlock the stupid bin and ring you up for sale.

My reply : " You realize that most of the people buying .45 ammo have a concealed and loaded gun on them ... right now. "

This must be really new. I picked up 3 cases of .45 last weekend and only the guy at the lodge asked for my license....no clear funky thing either.

The only PITA was standing in line holding 3 cases of .45 for 10 minutes while 2 of the 4 cashiers on duty gabbed it up rather than deal with check outs. [angry]

Nice line about carrying...I'll borrow it if I happen to experience the new safety precautions.[smile]

Last edited:

I feel that a comment like this is just a bad idea. You are asking for a whole lot of potential problems if one of the cashiers is the scared or nervous type. Concealed is concealed, don't attract attention. That line sounds as if you are saying "I have a gun" to a lot of people, and you don't really want to be doing something like that cause it might ruin your day... Freak someone out, police show up, waste of time, maybe a letter goes to your chief... Not worth it, I just wait with a smile...

I feel that a comment like this is just a bad idea. You are asking for a whole lot of potential problems if one of the cashiers is the scared or nervous type. Concealed is concealed, don't attract attention. That line sounds as if you are saying "I have a gun" to a lot of people, and you don't really want to be doing something like that cause it might ruin your day... Freak someone out, police show up, waste of time, maybe a letter goes to your chief... Not worth it, I just wait with a smile...

I agree.

Not worth it.

Logic would suggest that is somebody is buying ammo, they probably have a gun. No need to throw it in their face.

I don't like that its locked, but I could probably make use of a bin when I go. Its hard to carry 3 or 4 cases of ammo. Maybe Dick's needs shopping carts.

Back
Top Bottom