• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DHS: First the Ammo, Now the Tanks

The more I read about this, the less impressed I am.

If the DHS really is gearing up for "massive civil unrest", and this is the best they can do they need to hire some frigging consultants. MRAP's are a tactical joke against organized resistance. They are only designed to get you "off the X", not as assault vehicles. This just seems like one hell of a waste of money... then again, guess we had to do something with them.

Maybe I should start offering classes for $300 on anti-armor ambushes and asymmetrical warfare. Then again, maybe DHS would send their super-scary-stealth-assault-MRAPs after me.

Indeed. MRAPs are garbage for the most part. Despite their ridiculous height, they have almost no ground clearance. The whole point of them, the v-hull, is what makes them worthless in most situations off road. I've seen them get stuck going over a slightly tall curb that my Jeep Wrangler could handle. Oh, and due to their mass, have fun getting them out of the mud.

I would say they're good for IED protection on paved roads, but not really. Get them up to over suburban street speeds, and they'll flip over at the drop of a hat.

Oh, there are powerlines across the street? Can't go down that road when you add the turret height onto the monstrosity.

Need to dismount troops rapidly? Hold on a minute... the ramp is lowering... yup, keep holding on... the ramp is still lowering.

They were such an incredible waste of money and just shows that politicians will do anything to LOOK like they're supporting "the troops". They pushed that crap on the military when the money would have been better spent on more ammo to train with and implementing a different camo than ACUs. Of course the ACUs were another waste of money. Okay, that's a whole other cluster that I'll stop talking about now.

I have a cop friend in a large southeast MA town, we got to talking about govt money, and I asked him if his dept had ever gotten one of those Bearcats. He said sure, and showed me a pic on his phone. I remarked that it probably came in handy during the blizzard, and he laughed & said it was too heavy. not only that, the bulletproof glass doesn't have a defroster. he said the guys who ride around in that thing rain-X the hell out of the windows.

don't know if it's true, but it's an interesting factoid nontheless....

I really hope you're right. If one cops house got burnt down, I bet most will quit the Rambo act.

In my sleepy NH town the local PD would be fighting beside the town folk. I can't speak for the entire area, but it's estimated that close to 90% of the residents in this town are well armed. I think that DHS would be more concerned with concentrated easier targets.

In my sleepy NH town the local PD would be fighting beside the town folk. I can't speak for the entire area, but it's estimated that close to 90% of the residents in this town are well armed. I think that DHS would be more concerned with concentrated easier targets.

Where do you live? I plan on moving to NH in June and I'm looking for some sanity ;)

Yes, what general area of NH? I imagine you have to go somewhat far up to be clear of the MA liberal spillover...

- - - Updated - - -

Where do you live? I plan on moving to NH in June and I'm looking for some sanity ;)

I too have aspirations to get the hell out of dodge into the land of the free. I'm clueless on where to start looking though! And a job in NH would also help...

They should all be sold to citizens, not to government departments.

Also remember, if you're already shooting at it they can't get out, and fire is your friend and an engine intake's enemy.

Sell them to citizens?!

WE ALREADY OWN THEM!!!! There should be a damn sign up sheet "Sign up here for your day with your MRAP"

I'm just a little sad that the government can afford primo LAVs for DHS (for what, patrolling the suburbs?) but our troops had to police insurgent Iraq in Humvees with whatever crappy homemade armor they could scrounge together.

How can they, in this week of huge budget cuts, say with a straight face that they are going to do this and a drone base in Malibu? How do we fight this? My "representative" is McGovern, for Pete's sake. He has GOVERN right in his name!

The Mc in McGovern is a derogatory term like in McMansions etc.

- - - Updated - - -

right on, Nazi collaborators and "local aid" got what was coming to them and more.

Can't wait to shave Pelosi's head.

Yes, what general area of NH? I imagine you have to go somewhat far up to be clear of the MA liberal spillover...

- - - Updated - - -

I too have aspirations to get the hell out of dodge into the land of the free. I'm clueless on where to start looking though! And a job in NH would also help...

Not far up at all, just a smaller town with mostly good folks. I travel to MA daily for work. I'm over near Hampstead Freemont area.

How can they, in this week of huge budget cuts, say with a straight face that they are going to do this and a drone base in Malibu? How do we fight this? My "representative" is McGovern, for Pete's sake. He has GOVERN right in his name!

McGovern is a POS , fits right in with the vast majority of pols in Ma. . Actually far exceeds most in his liberal bent .

McGovern is a POS , fits right in with the vast majority of pols in Ma. . Actually far exceeds most in his liberal bent .

This. McGovern's voting record in the House is deplorable.

- - - Updated - - -

Is McGovern going to Hugo's funeral to eulogize him together with the other scumbags Penn, Kennedy and the other democrat commies.

Probably. McGovern is an authoritarian commie. His love of Chavez surprises me little.

History repeating itself bit by bit, DHS with enough ammo for a 20 year war?
Everything is normal, relax, your .gov just wants to protect you and keep you safe...
I am choking on my own sarcasm. [sad2]

Mother if God! It has "low recoil" and you can get it with a front handguard.LMAO I wonder how much the ammo is. Is it an NFA item?

Good luck finding a Lahti or a Solothurn.

But there is a modern day equivalent:

MAG-FED 20MM RIFLE - Anzio Ironworks

20mm022standingatangle-FP.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Nope.

Definitely not the ammo since it cannot be used during war as it is banned by the Geneva convention. HP ammo can only be shot at Americans.

Can anyone come up with some reasonable non-civil war/internment reasons that the government would be buying these? Honestly, I can't brainstorm any myself right now. [tinfoil]

Spending money needlessly to reward Unions and Democrat Donors ?

With a bonus of removing ammunition from the market, just to piss off us Bitter Clingers ?

Quite likely.

Now let's try to connect the dots with this: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/13/h...-of-bioterror-attack.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The 1918 pandemic virtually brought society to a halt with far less concentrated and population (especially in densely populated urban areas). Can one imagine the anarchy in New York? Looks like a need for bullets, tanks and unarmed citizens. It's for the children. (where is my tin foil hat emote>)

Back
Top Bottom