• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Denied LTC for 1995 DUI

Live in Saugus, Ma and was denied a LTC for my 1 and only conviction a DUI liquor in 1995. Officer said any alcohol or drug related conviction in Ma post 1994 is grounds for disqualification. Should I appeal?

Live in Saugus, Ma and was denied a LTC for my 1 and only conviction a DUI liquor in 1995. Officer said any alcohol or drug related conviction in Ma post 1994 is grounds for disqualification. Should I appeal?

After May 27, 1994 the law changed and anyone getting an MA based DUI conviction after that date was rendered a federally prohibited person.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're pretty much ****ed unless you can get the conviction overturned somehow or get a pardon.

-Mike

After May 27, 1994 the law changed and anyone getting an MA based DUI conviction after that date was rendered a federally prohibited person.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're pretty much ****ed unless you can get the conviction overturned somehow or get a pardon.

-Mike

Can he get an FID?

He specifically said "conviction." He just didn't say where.

I don't live in MA nor ever charged with anything, so this doesn't affect me. However, I am confused by an MA DUI being a federal thing. Also, is this typical in other states?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

I don't live in MA nor ever charged with anything, so this doesn't affect me. However, I am confused by an MA DUI being a federal thing. Also, is this typical in other states?

It is not typical, and MA may be the only state.

1. As of the date in 1994, a first offense DUI in MA has a maxmium penalty of 2.5 years

2. Under 18 USC 922(g), a felony for the purposes of firearms disability is any crime characterized by the state as a felony, or misdemeanors punishable by more than 2 years imprisonment, with the exception of violation of anti-trust and restraint of trade laws.

And yes, I am certain that not only is it a federal DQ, but it is reported to NICS as a disqualifier, and the feds will not recognize a MA FLRB restoration of rights, since you are not having your "civil right to vote" restored.

The 2.5 year misdemeanor is very common in MA, and is sometimes referred to as a misdafelony.

ps: There is no time limit on when one may apply to the FLRB for review. A successful FLRB petition is not a licensing appeal, but a restoration of rights under MA law. Pay attention to the interaction with the federal law to understand how limited the FLRB relief actually is.

In 1994 the potential sentence for DUI became 2 1/2 years. Even though no one has probably done any jail time for a first offense dui, the potential sentance is there.
Question 11C on the form 4473 asks:
Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation?
If you have a MA dui after May 27, 1994, answer is yes, and you are federally prohibited.

spread the word...make sure everyone you know understands this.....one DUI conviction and not only is your LTC in MA gone, you could move to NH and still be a prohibited person !!

And don't drink and drive in MA.

Just gonna point out that it doesn't take you actually drinking for a cop to charge you with it.

Is that alcohol I smell sir?....

Hell, plenty of diabetics with low sugar have been mistaken for drunk drivers.

There's a lesson here. Never live in MA.
No.

And don't drink and drive in MA.
This. The problem is even more pronounced for non-Mass residents who are are convicted of OUI in MA. At least a MA resident has available to them the fig leaf of rights restoration through the FLRB. A non-resident does not.

This. The problem is even more pronounced for non-Mass residents who are are convicted of OUI in MA. At least a MA resident has available to them the fig leaf of rights restoration through the FLRB. A non-resident does not.
My understanding is that FLRB may restore rights to LTC but not with NICS, hence still prohibited person.

The federal government does not recognize the restoration of 2A rights by the FLRB. There are people in Massachusetts who have post '94 OUI convictions, have sought and received FRLB relief, have an LTC and are still federally prohibited. They cannot pass a NICS check, even after having pursued the UPIN and VAF routes. We know this to be true and have fully tested it.

From this thread:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/comm2a/176964-dui-oui-deal-breaker-4.html

Back
Top Bottom