Deleted

What's the troll face for? Because a green member with 2,500 posts read your post and disagrees with the fact that a club imposes more restrictions than the Commonwealth of Massachusetts does on it's LTC-A holders, and would have no interest it seeking membership because of that?

You made your point. We know you don't want to look or join. So now you want to beat it to death in your usual style. I'm done. You can have the floor and bleat on ad nauseam.

Hello,

(NO WEIRD QUIRK - a true Sportsmen's club)

Check out Harvard Sportsmen's Club.....on the web

24/7 indoor range

Archery has 8 ranges

Over 10 hand gun ranges....many have steel set up

100 yard rifle

200 yard rifle

300 yard rifle

Informal shot gun

Many more ranges, not listed.

HSC, has over 250 acres...family club....youth NRA RIFLE programs...lots of great stuff
(camperships, fun shoot, monthly breakfast,MULTY gun groups, pheasant hunting program,ect)
FAMILY orientated Club

Regards,
J.L.B.

J.L.B. I agree that HSC has more and less restrictions. I would be a member if I lived closer. It is a super club.

The Andover club has a really nice indoor range setup where you aren't restricted to setting targets at the backstop, but you can move them in and out as you wish. It's heated and cooled in the Summer too.

So if you want to test a >10 round mag you get another club membership?
You could probably load dummy rounds below the 5 or 10 live ones.

BUT... it's a silly requirement, and plays right into the "no honest man needs a high capo magazine" (to quote Bill Ruger)

You could probably load dummy rounds below the 5 or 10 live ones.

BUT... it's a silly requirement, and plays right into the "no honest man needs a high capo magazine" (to quote Bill Ruger)

I'm sure the BOD will tell you it's a safety issue, to guard against a hand gun malfunctioning and going full auto. It's a lame excuse for not allowing full mags. I would hope that they come around soon and realize this.

It's still a nice club with a lot to offer.

This club is looking good to me, I realized it's right off my backroad commute to work.

Other than the 5-round handgun (and 10 round rifle) limit, what other 'onerous' restrictions are there? I like that there is steel pistol and rifle targets, and the facilities look nice. Sure, $250 is steep and I know as soon as I pay that I'll get laid off and have to move to Cleveland.

So I ended up visiting both ASC and MRA yesterday with my friend. Someone gave us a tour of both clubs. At the end of the day though, even though we liked what MRA had to offer too, we ended up mailing out applications to ASC today. So hopefully by the end of Jan or Feb we should be all set.

ASC seemed a little more laid back, its closer to my buddies house, whom I normally go shooting with as well. I'm interested to see what they end up doing with the new outdoor pistol range and the guy pointed out a lot of work is going on in the club house too.

Primarily we are going to be looking to use the indoor pistol range and the outdoor pistol/rifle range but if it the club turns out to be a good fit I'd like to get a shot gun to shoot trap. I didn't ask if they did sport clays or just trap, both are fun.

Last edited:
So I ended up visiting both ASC and MRA yesterday with my friend. Someone gave us a tour of both clubs. At the end of the day though, even though we liked what MRA had to offer too, we ended up mailing out applications to ASC today. So hopefully by the end of Jan or Feb we should be all set.

ASC seemed a little more laid back, its closer to my buddies house, whom I normally go shooting with as well. I'm interested to see what they end up doing with the new outdoor pistol range and the guy pointed out a lot of work is going on in the club house too.

Primarily we are going to be looking to use the indoor pistol range and the outdoor pistol/rifle range but if it the club turns out to be a good fit I'd like to get a shot gun to shoot trap. I didn't ask if they did sport clays or just trap, both are fun.

Cool, i think I will do the same in January. Still considering WSA since my job is next door, but i don't trust my job, and ASC is close to home.

I didn't ask if they did sport clays or just trap, both are fun.

They do both. And you can take an intro to trap class for free to try it and they supply both the gun AND ammo to you for nothing.

Thanks - i read that and didn't see any onerous rules besides the mag limit, that's why i was curious, but don't want to bring up another fight.

Not sure what you'd consider 'onerous' so its hard to say, I don't think the mag limit is onerous just a slight inconvenience at worst. Other than that, you can't use AP or incendiary/tracer ammo or anything bigger than 50 cal.

Not sure what you'd consider 'onerous' so its hard to say, I don't think the mag limit is onerous just a slight inconvenience at worst. Other than that, you can't use AP or incendiary/tracer ammo or anything bigger than 50 cal.

From the rules it appears that point shooting or drawing from a holster is prohibited. "Quick Draw?" WTF is that?

Also 5 rounds in a semi is kind of absurd on the indoor range. (If their concern is a 1911 going full retard, well guess what, depending on who is holding it, you could still send rounds over the berm if they're not very strong person... so I'm not even sure what the point of this rule is. )

Then if you read into the rules about full auto its obvious that someone called them out on a full auto ban at one point, so they allowed it, but someone made up a bunch of retarded rules coming out of the byzantine empire, and by the time you get done reading them you won't even bother trying to bring a machine gun there. ETA: If I was going to make a WAG, I would guess that section of the rules was invented by the same "cabal/clique" or "well known immovable individual" that made up the 5 round rule. [laugh]

This is another one of those clubs that the only thing going for it is it's location. You're paying top tier club rates (IMHO) for a club that doesn't have top tier facilities. I can easily think of 3 other clubs in MA that offer more for the same or less amount of money, and the rules at all 3 places are a lot more reasonable. I'm not going to name drop them because I don't wanna contaminate the thread.

The one time I was there as a guest, I was on the indoor range, and occasionally I'd do a 5 round mag dump (all rounds WELL on paper) and I got the stink eye from some guy 2 lanes over, I could tell he wanted to whine but couldn't because I wasn't actually breaking any rules. I could tell it was burning him up from the inside. [laugh] I went back to slow fire, I didn't want the guy to have a stroke. That pretty much sealed it, though. While it might be fine for others (because it's convenient) I can't really enjoy myself under those kinds of conditions. Someone else's mileage may vary.

-Mike

Last edited:
People do mag dumps on the outdoor range all the time, rifle and pistol, and nobody gives them a second look.

I agree the 5 round limit is silly but I don't think its onerous. 1 round limit would be onerous. I know of another club in the area that has no mag limits at all but your shots must be at a rate of no more than 5 rounds in a 20 second timeframe, aka 1 every 4 seconds. To me that seems more inconvenient than a 5 round pistol/10 round rifle, no time limit. And their facilities suck as well so I'll take ASC over that any time.

Last edited:
Yeah, that would get even more annoying.

A friend of mine in CA used a pay range that had a similarly shitty rule. Guy came out and bitched at him for "rapid firing". Only supposed to be one shot every 3 seconds. So then he did exactly that, and the guy still came out and bitched at him. [laugh]

-Mike

Mike, I am sure several clubs do not allow quick draw for safety reasons, on the other hand when a club holds a cowboy shoot, or IDPA match, you draw from holster as the range is set up for that. Personally I would not want to be next to a yahoo who just bought his first gun and knows everything doing quick draw next to me on a range. Automatic weapons are allowed but it has to be done by the rules, a slide fire or tac con trigger can be used with an RSO present. Everything else is on your honor and just respect the rules that are in place, many clubs require a RSO present during ALL shooting, ASC does not. If a member wants to change a rule, make a case for it and present it to the board, there has to be 7 out of 13 votes to pass something. There is NO perfect club, and you are free to join any one of them that you like, and have an enjoyable experience.
Have a Safe, Happy & Healthy New Year. Steve

Mike, I am sure several clubs do not allow quick draw for safety reasons, on the other hand when a club holds a cowboy shoot, or IDPA match, you draw from holster as the range is set up for that.

Oh I know there are plenty of clubs that don't allow it, that doesn't make banning it right. It just makes it unusable for anyone who actually wants to practice their skills. If a club won't allow me to do something like timed draws with a shot timer (without a babysitter present) I have no use for a membership there.

Over the years I've also witnessed plenty of safety issues on ranges (muzzle sweeps, people dicking around with guns while someone was downrange, other stupid shit like that. ) but only rarely, if ever, have I seen safety issues involving someone doing holster work. Obviously some things aren't going to work very well (for example a shoulder holster usually violates a bunch of safety rules) but that's not really the norm anyways.

-Mike

I found a lot of clubs had a quirk I didn't like. With ASC its the 5rd limit, with MRA its the 1rd limit on the 100/200yd range.

Other clubs I have visited also had quirks. The few times I have gone to MRA and during the tour I got the impression they seem more concerned with policing their members. I really wanted to like it though since its only 2 minutes from my work. Cape Ann was a possible with with lead ammo only indoors I ruled that out. Danvers seemed ok, but absolute horrible hours. Harvard is just too far away to be practical. I've been to ipswich and Lynn ranges too. Ipswich is very small. I may still join lynn too. Lynn isnt exactly the nicest range it's kind of a dungeon but only 5 min from my house. It would be good to plink at sometimes. I could go on and on about the different clubs. Maybe I missed a few. I only named ones I have visited within the last few years.

It was about time I joined some place though. I'm not saying I agree with everything ASC does but at least I am no longer dependent on Bob's or MFL. I went to MFL over the weekend with the same friend I visited each range with. I will never go there again. The place was packed and had a 2-1/2 hour wait. I wasn't so upset with the wait as I was the service. The guy behind the counter was extremely rude. We didn't even end up staying. We were forced to turn in our release forms even tho we never stepped foot on the range which pissed me off too.

Either way like I said, I figure I'll try ASC for a year and if I find it's not a good fit then I will join another club but as a whole looking past the 5rd limit seemed nice.

Last edited:
Careful Mike, don't say anything bad about this club lest you incur the wrath of the author of post#31 [rofl]

Careful Mike, don't say anything bad about this club lest you incur the wrath of the author of post#31 [rofl]

He's entitled to have his opinion. I have lots of friends who are members at places like ASC, BRP, MRA, Angle Tree, and other places that have rules which make my mind almost go into a coma. If these facilities work great for them then so be it, it's another place for (some) people to shoot and that's a good thing. At least they are up front about their rules. There are some other clubs in MA that seemed to have "Secret Rules" and that would really piss me off.

-Mike

He's entitled to have his opinion. I have lots of friends who are members at places like ASC, BRP, MRA, Angle Tree, and other places that have rules which make my mind almost go into a coma. If these facilities work great for them then so be it, it's another place for (some) people to shoot and that's a good thing. At least they are up front about their rules. There are some other clubs in MA that seemed to have "Secret Rules" and that would really piss me off.

-Mike

Well said!

I'm a member of ASC as well. Yes the 5 round rule and no drawing from holster are annoying. But again for the drive time it can't be be beat locally. I've done rapid fire while taking a pistol accuracy course there. The instructor was not pleased. Funny thing was every shot was not only on paper but was by far my best grouping. I went back to slow fire and was not as accurate. i did the same thing during the intro to highpower course at Nashua. Once I dialed the first shot I let it rip and did fairly well. The instructor there commented on it but was ok because again all the shots were on paper. Rumor is ASC will soon have a 200 yard range as well. My brother just joined Pelham. I cant wait to visit there but it's another 1/2 hour +- driving past ASC.

Rumor is correct about the 200 yard range. The swath being cut on the existing pistol side will be the 200 yard section. The new pistol range is supposed to be able to handle interactive shooting. Te pallets outside the rifle range are the special material that will be used to build berms on the new pistol range. The one thing about ASC is that it is a progressive club that relies on member input to the board and member help to work with the individual range directors to work on ideas that will make the club experience both SAFE and enjoyable. Remember most of the range and club directors work a normal job and donate a lot of their time to make their function work for all the others. If the rifle guys want a special shoot, they work with the range director and help put on a great shoot, same with the trap range, there are lots of good fun member shoots, and Archery has a great group that works on their part of the club. A great club is what the members do to make it great, nothing is perfect but it can get pretty close. Going up during the week is an experience like having your own private club. Steve

The 5 round limit is annoying, but was only truly troublesome for me recently. I purchased a M&P45C and while shooting it with aluminum Blazer ammo at Manchester Firing Line, I was experiencing consistent FTF while using full mags. I live closer to ASC and wanted to try running the gun with brass ammo to see if I could replicate the problem, but since it only happened with full mags, I could not test fire at ASC. Certainly not the end of the world, but it made the 5 round rule look like a solution in search of a problem.

Trying to visualize this. So you have the existing 100yd rifle range on the far left, existing pistol range to the right of that, new 200yd rifle to the right of that (yes?) Where is the new pistol going?

HeadNorth New pistol range going to right of existing rifle/pistol where the trees have been cleared out and the excavator is chomping up the dirt and stumps. 200 yard going where existing pistol range is now, there has been a swath of trees cut out to start, more dirt work needed. As long as winter is good they will work, most will have to wait til spring probably. G nite!

HeadNorth New pistol range going to right of existing rifle/pistol where the trees have been cleared out and the excavator is chomping up the dirt and stumps. 200 yard going where existing pistol range is now, there has been a swath of trees cut out to start, more dirt work needed. As long as winter is good they will work, most will have to wait til spring probably. G nite!

Ah, got it, thanks. Havnt been there in a few. Looking forward to shooting at 200.

This x 100 ad ex LEO that enforces it....yeah screw that like I want to show up there with my pre bans.

I shoot there with my pre bans all the time as do a few other people I know. No one has said a thing. I have gotten a few side ways glances from some fudds target shooting with a 22 but most are more curious about shooting 5.56 and what is the recoil like. Some times all it takes is a smile and a few rounds and you just converted a fudd to a new AR owner.

Back
Top Bottom