Deer Recovery

If I shoot a deer on my property, or someone's property that I have permission for, and it runs off onto private property before dying, what's the legality of fetching the deer?

If I shoot a deer on my property, or someone's property that I have permission for, and it runs off onto private property before dying, what's the legality of fetching the deer?

Depends on the town and or if the land is posted or not. It the land is posted or the town requires written permission to hunt then you need to get permission to track the animal on their land. If they refuse you can call a warden to intervene and or assist you.

If it is not posted and there is no town law on permission you can continue to track without asking for permission from the landowner.

Depends on the town and or if the land is posted or not. It the land is posted or the town requires written permission to hunt then you need to get permission to track the animal on their land. If they refuse you can call a warden to intervene and or assist you.

If it is not posted and there is no town law on permission you can continue to track without asking for permission from the landowner.

Thanks. I ask because I live in a small town where we are overrun with deer. They eat my bushes ten feet away from me and it would be easy to shoot one with a bow. But my town is filled will the most liberal of liberals and some people wouldn't want to have me fetching a dead one in their back yard.....

Ask nicely and homeowners may help you find it. If they put up a stink, let them know the police and/or game warden will be along very shortly to assist in recovering your quarry. It is your responsibility to find and dispatch any wounded animal.

Ask nicely and homeowners may help you find it. If they put up a stink, let them know the police and/or game warden will be along very shortly to assist in recovering your quarry. It is your responsibility to find and dispatch any wounded animal.

Ok- let me ask this:

Our properties are 2 acres on average and in somewhat of pie shapes. There is a chance that a deer will cross more than one property before expiring. None of the properties are posted. Do I need to knock on the door of each person the blood trail is on on find the deer (crossing each property) and then knock only on the door that the deer is on?

I was told to ask a game warden to assist in retrieval in this case.

Hunting on 2 acre parcels? Be mindful of the following:

"No arrows may be released within 150 feet of, or across any state or hard surfaced highway and hunting is prohibited within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, unless authorized by owner or occupant thereof."

When I took my bow hunter safety course in NH the Fish and Game officer told us a story of a bow hunter shooting a deer and it ran onto posted property. Hunter calls for help and he shows. They find the deer and the land owner says the hunter may not take it that it’s his on his property. Hunter ends up leaving pissed. Officer asks land owner where is your deer tag and owner says he doesn’t have one. Officer says ok then the deer comes home with me and took it.
I also own some land that has deer but not enough room to shoot there legally and with the bow the chance of them ending in a neighbors property pretty good. Figured best to pass on hunting there.

Ok- let me ask this:

Our properties are 2 acres on average and in somewhat of pie shapes. There is a chance that a deer will cross more than one property before expiring. None of the properties are posted. Do I need to knock on the door of each person the blood trail is on on find the deer (crossing each property) and then knock only on the door that the deer is on?

In that situation covert may be the best option to not alarm the sheep. If it is not posted go home, change out of your hunting clothes and tehn go back and track the deer while walking your dog. The dog will most likely help you find it by leading you right to it. This way you just look like any other happy resident taking his dog for a walk. When you find it drag it back to safe ground asap.

I was told to ask a game warden to assist in retrieval in this case.

Hunting on 2 acre parcels? Be mindful of the following:

"No arrows may be released within 150 feet of, or across any state or hard surfaced highway and hunting is prohibited within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, unless authorized by owner or occupant thereof."

I'm glad I asked. I've bee na bird hunter my entire life but did not know the distances for releasing an arrow were the same as firing a gun (500ft). That puts about four places (according to google earth) within the porch I would release from.

Guess the bushes will just have to grow faster than the deer eat.....

Thanks everyone for your responses.

If there is a problem with a legally shot deer you can call up the game warden to help you retrieve the deer. If the homeowner does not want you to take the deer, the game warden will tell you to go get it regardless of what the homeowner wants (if he/she is there). He has the power to do so in any case. Doesn't matter what the property owner wants at that point.

Back
Top Bottom