Deer hunt with an AR-10?

CdP

Got a prize at work, and basically I get a week of a guided deer hunt and a rifle for it (neither to exceed 1250, 2500 total). Thinking about what rifle to get, and it occurred to me I could use an AR-10 in 308 as a possible deer rifle. What say you? Any thoughts pro or con? Should my first deer rifle be more of a traditional bolt or semi?

If you had 1250 to spend on a deer rifle, what would you get?

And... Anyone recommend any good guides in Maine or NH? Or am I better off going to PA where the deer are thick as mosquitoes?

Help appreciated getting this guy his first deer!!

CdP

Awesome score! Do you plan on hunting deer hunting beyond this trip? If so you might want to consider a traditional hunting rifle...that being said, I myself would get and AR-10 and save up for a bolt rifle somewhere down the road. Good luck!

Wait a tick...

You're saying your employer is going to basically buy you a bad ass rifle and pay for you to go on a guided week-long hunt?

Is your company hiring bro? LOL.

I have no recommendations on an AR10 but damn dude, enjoy that stuff!

I know you want an AR 10 and I don't blame you. However, I think you need to choose your hunting location first and based on the demands of the territory, equip with the proper rifle for the job. There is a reason why there are so many different rifles and deer hunting calibers available.

I hunt deer in NH and ME with the AR in 6.8 SPC. That, with a 5.56 spare upper for plinking makes for a good combo. And "limited capacity" magazines are available to meet the F&G laws. Jack.

you can hunt with high capacity mags in NH you just can't load them beyond the limit

Edit: note for migratory birds you would still need to limit shotgun capacity because that's federal law

Last edited:
Wait a tick...

You're saying your employer is going to basically buy you a bad ass rifle and pay for you to go on a guided week-long hunt?

Is your company hiring bro? LOL.

I have no recommendations on an AR10 but damn dude, enjoy that stuff!

I have certainly gotten a good price for my soul. Now, that means I'm a soulless bastard, but at least I get a new rifle and a deer hunt. :)

Ok, sounds like I need advice first about WHERE I want to hunt and then will worry about the rifle. But I think I'll find a place where I can use an AR as I'd love to have them finance a Killy gun! :)

That seems rude to me. His employer is giving him this prize so show some class and at least hunt with the rifle they buy you.

I'd imagine someone at work will want to see the rifle they bought. If it were me I'd not buy a scary black rifle in case someone jumped to the wrong conclusions. I'd buy a nice friendly bolt action rifle with a pretty wood stock and a scope, just what they'd expect to see for deer hunting.

I'd go with the ar10. I believe that's what this guy used for the hog...should take down a deer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 47
I agree with KDK.

How much do you shoot, and is this hunting trip a one time deal, or are you going to take up hunting?

Personally, I'd go with a bolt gun , probably a Savage or a Ruger. They make decent rifles at good prices. The money saved by purchasing one of these you can spend the difference to buy ammo and do some serious practicing before your trip as well as purchasing decent optics. The AR10 limits your caliber, whereas a bolt gun will give you many more caliber options.

I know the AR platform is sexy and all that but I really think you should consider the bolt gun.

Tough to beat a bolt action Savage rifle for low cost high accuracy and dependability. $600 for a rifle, $600 for a Leupold scope and the rest for the hunt

I'd imagine someone at work will want to see the rifle they bought. If it were me I'd not buy a scary black rifle in case someone jumped to the wrong conclusions. I'd buy a nice friendly bolt action rifle with a pretty wood stock and a scope, just what they'd expect to see for deer hunting.

i hope that's sarcasm. An AR is a perfectly fine hunting rifle--depending on what and where you hunt of course (not so good for ducks!). At $1250 you'll probably have to kick in some of your own money to get an AR10 setup though, especially if you want a scope.

I just think it's rude to buy a gun you don't take on the hunt.

One thing is for sure, you can't go wrong choosing a free gun!

I hunted for my first time last year in Maine. I used my S&W M&P10. I had no issues with it. Old timers said it was to heavy to carry around for 8 hours but I didn't think so. I say go ahead. It's 2014 not 1950. AR 10 will do just fine. Just make sure you have a 5 round magazine or modify the 10 round to only except 5 rounds. I got a few scratches from hitting rocks and climbing under trees but I love it. Woods are very thick up there. Most likely won't get a shot over 50 yards unless you find a marsh like I did. Took a shot at 180 yards with a scope sighted for 50 yards. Missed my first buck and it haunts my dreams every night

So you're saying just get the right paint job?

ar10.JPG

This last season while I was hunting, and practicing shouldering my rifle every so often, I was thinking that the ergonomics of an AR platform - with a pistol grip - would actually be really convenient....

- - - Updated - - -

This is some good advice.

That is a good point - decent scopes are expensive, $1000 would probably not cover an AR10 with a scope.

Thanks everyone! Will contact the guide and see what's most appropriate. The savage and Leuoold sounds smart. It'll be a couple of weeks but I'll let you know which way I go!

CdP

A guided trip for a buck is atleast 2000 in some spots. Are the cost of the rifle and trip separate or both under the money limit.

I think a Browning X-Bolt in 30.06 would be nice. You'd blow through most of your allotment on the rifle (no glass), but I find them to be incredibly beautiful rifles.

Minor update - still figuring out guides, but the gun is set. Used Browning BAR. Nice deal on Gunbroker, I hope. $555 plus shipping / transfer.

And, well, I'm also winning an auction currently for a NIB Browning BAR, $890.

Anyone want to buy a gun? :)

30-06, scope not included. Looking now. B&K handling transfer and will have them install scope mounts.

Thinking leupold 50mm (prob 3-9 but care less about very long distance).

Looking for used one to maximize money for the hunt itself. But glad to hear if anyone thinks that's a bad call. Probably willing to spend 300 or so on the scope. Maybe a little more if the difference seems worth it.

Back
Top Bottom