• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Deer Decoy

I have a blind set up next to some apple trees on my farm that draw frequent visits from deer. Yesterday a friend brought his 3D buck target over so we could sight in our bows from the blind. When he left he said he wanted to leave the 3D target there to help draw the deer in. Is this a good idea or will the target spook the deer rather than draw them in? The apples do a good job all by themselves.

Last edited:
Why mess with what is working. There is no plus to leaving it out there, especially this time of year. If you are going to use a decoy you need to bring with you when you get there and take it out when you leave. Leaving it there overnight just allows them too much time to investigate it and descipher your scents you have left on it.

Remove the decoy now it is illegal to use a decoy to hunt deer in the state of massachusetts. Technically it is not hunting season right now it opens Monday.
Look in mass hunting abstracts under prohibited it lists DECOYS for Deer Hunting.

Always better to be safe than sorry consult your Abstracts if any doubt , dont trust anyones word or there opinions its not worth losing your hunting priviliges.

Remove the decoy now it is illegal to use a decoy to hunt deer in the state of massachusetts. Technically it is not hunting season right now it opens Monday.
Look in mass hunting abstracts under prohibited it lists DECOYS for Deer Hunting.

Always better to be safe than sorry consult your Abstracts if any doubt , dont trust anyones word or there opinions its not worth losing your hunting priviliges.

+1

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/hunt_fish_abstracts.pdf

Last edited:
It will not be illegal unless they hunt over it. Leaving it there now breaks no laws as long as they remove it before they hunt.

Notice i said the season opens monday.

Monday = Illegal

Plus if mass wildlife dept sees it now your gonna have company on opening day.

Trust me they have no sense of humor .

Is it really worth the hassle especially if you cant use it anyways.

Take it down, there is no need for one near apple trees, deer and other animals are always in them this time of year anyways.

And as Rifleman said, the DFG have NO sense of humor at all. You might as well look for a vehicle like this waiting for you...
eletruck.JPG

Back
Top Bottom