• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Decisions, Decisions

I have a bit of a dilemma. I currently carry a Beretta 9000s in .40. Its a great little carry pistol, but I want something a little bigger. I want to remain in the same caliber though. So, I am torn between a Glock & S&W M&P. I owned a Glock 21 in .45 years ago, and found that the full size one didnt fit my hand correctly. It was a first gen one-when they first came out, I believe, sometime in the 90's. I have since shot my brother's Glock, in 9mm, and his is the medium sized one (sorry, I dont recall the model #). It felt a lot better in my hand then I recall mine feeling. However, I like the SA of my Beretta, so I am leaning toward the S&W M&P series for that. I have handled one in the store, but have no experience actually firing it.
Has anyone here owned, or currently own, both? What are the pros & cons of the S&W? I am left handed, so ambi releases & the like are a plus, but not mandatory (except for the safety). I know a new S&W will need a trigger job, and, from what my brother has told me, the only thing he didnt like about the S&W is that it will not fire with the magazine out. I am not overly concerned about that, but it IS something I never considered prior to hearing about that.
What I am looking for I suppose are personal experiences with both-and why you chose one over the other, if you did. It doesnt have to be about the caliber, just the two pistols. Thanks in advance!

Being a lefty as well. Given the choice I will always support the company that takes lefty's into account during their design. This is the same reason I wont buy a sig.

ETA: They are both great guns. I have had both.

I have a FS m&p .40 with trigger fron burrwell in pa. I love this pistol. The mag
Safety can be removed so no worry there. It is ambi by easy adjustments. I carry iwb with
A crossbreed supertuck. Tough with the holidays but maybe we can find a range between us
And you can try it.

I can tell you that my Dad had his G21 sent to Robar for a Grip Reduction, came out perfect and he loves it, he has small hands. I had two G21's done at Robar for a heavy Texture grip, no reduction, the grip is not an issue for me. I would check out www.robar.com if you are interested in the grip reduction, made a big diffrence for my Dad.

Will

Much as I, a lefty, like my G21 SF, I'm going to look into that grip reduction. Otherwise, it's great and I'd recommend one.

I have a bit of a dilemma. I currently carry a Beretta 9000s in .40. Its a great little carry pistol, but I want something a little bigger. I want to remain in the same caliber though. So, I am torn between a Glock & S&W M&P. I owned a Glock 21 in .45 years ago, and found that the full size one didnt fit my hand correctly. It was a first gen one-when they first came out, I believe, sometime in the 90's. I have since shot my brother's Glock, in 9mm, and his is the medium sized one (sorry, I dont recall the model #). It felt a lot better in my hand then I recall mine feeling. However, I like the SA of my Beretta, so I am leaning toward the S&W M&P series for that. I have handled one in the store, but have no experience actually firing it.
Has anyone here owned, or currently own, both? What are the pros & cons of the S&W? I am left handed, so ambi releases & the like are a plus, but not mandatory (except for the safety). I know a new S&W will need a trigger job, and, from what my brother has told me, the only thing he didnt like about the S&W is that it will not fire with the magazine out. I am not overly concerned about that, but it IS something I never considered prior to hearing about that.
What I am looking for I suppose are personal experiences with both-and why you chose one over the other, if you did. It doesnt have to be about the caliber, just the two pistols. Thanks in advance!

i own both as well. there are plenty of parts availalbe for both, conversion barrels, holsters, aftermarket goodies [smile]

Glock 23 - subcompact (mid-size) is .40 cal.
pros:
-its small enough to hide and large enough for me to shoot comfortably
-pre-ban mags to carry 13rd mags (or 15rd mags from a G22)
-easy to take apart and work on

cons:
-muzzle flip takes getting used to [laugh]
-serrated trigger (i replaced mine with a trigger from a glock 22)
-glock sights suck (i had trijicon night sights put on mine)

M&P40 - full size,
pros:
-it's very comfortable to shoot...
-pack straps
-hinged trigger is wide and flat

cons:
-cripple mags are an instant turn off for me.
-trigger weight can vary (i don't mind mine at all)

You should shoot a Springfield XD - can be found used in MA

[devil2][pot]

+1 on the M&P. I'm a lefty as well and got rid of my glocks for the S&W's. I carry the 40c, have a full size in 9mm and the Pro. Love them all. Not all the M&Ps come with the mag disconnect. 2 of mine don't have it. It can easily be removed too if need be. I pried the slide release tab up a bit with a screw driver on all of them and its a whole new world. Incredibly easy to manipulate with the touch of a finger now.

10 rd mags for the commie state, when the firearm can handle and is designed for a higher capacity.

Oh boy, Im gonna get told to read up on my MGL but screw it, is the 10 round thing based on class of LTC or is it for everyone within the commie state?

Oh boy, Im gonna get told to read up on my MGL but screw it, is the 10 round thing based on class of LTC or is it for everyone within the commie state?

You can get pre-ban high caps I think dependent upon the class of your LTC. There's a bunch of threads on this stuff over in the Firearm Laws section of this forum. I'm a NH resident, so I never really bothered to look up the Mass laws. I try to stay away from that state.

You can get pre-ban high caps I think dependent upon the class of your LTC. There's a bunch of threads on this stuff over in the Firearm Laws section of this forum. I'm a NH resident, so I never really bothered to look up the Mass laws. I try to stay away from that state.

Thanks Gonzo, btw, I love your camera work...[smile]

Back
Top Bottom