Deals and steals

Primary Arms Labor Day sale - not the only thing on sale, but this jumped out at me.

Primary Arms SLx 2.5 Compact 2.5x32 Prism Scope - ACSS-CQB-M1

SLx Prism, 2.5x - $169

PAC2.5X_00.jpg

No budding warlord worthy of the name wouldn't have one of these on each minion's Radical Firearms AR.

Except only 2 per household - pick your favorite minions, I guess.

Primary Arms Labor Day sale - not the only thing on sale, but this jumped out at me.

Primary Arms SLx 2.5 Compact 2.5x32 Prism Scope - ACSS-CQB-M1

SLx Prism, 2.5x - $169

PAC2.5X_00.jpg

No budding warlord worthy of the name wouldn't have one of these on each minion's Radical Firearms AR.

Except only 2 per household - pick your favorite minions, I guess.
it is cheap indeed, but that reticle is crap.
i think i tried it with some other cheap prisms, and the eye box and eye relief were also very subpar.
1661791421968.png

and i definitely remember it now, after looking at this picture below, of how it all appears in the viewfinder. if you zero the central dot to a 100yds on a m855 or m193 - lower dots align with nothing well, really.
1661791892479.png

this prism is way more sensible, and its reticle is also way better. it also appears on sale from time to time.
1661791648709.png

i think i tried it with some other cheap prisms, and the eye box and eye relief were also very subpar.
View attachment 655743

and i definitely remember it now, after looking at this picture below, of how it all appears in the viewfinder. if you zero the central dot to a 100yds on a m855 or m193 - lower dots align with nothing well, really.
View attachment 655750

this prism is way more sensible, and its reticle is also way better. it also appears on sale from time to time.
View attachment 655747

I never really think of a 2.5x as being for something where I care how effective it is at the point where elevation is a concern. For instance at 300 yards, about 10 inches of drop, that's still within a man minute.

I think if I had a choice I'd have an elevation dial for an occasional long shot.

With that said, I own 4 or so of the PAs with the middle reticle you posted - an ACSS CQB-M. Eventually I'm going to start swapping them out, it's not the reticle but rather the glass/quality that bugs me. As the sun sets a bit it's just hard to see, harder than it should be. They are great for 200 bucks, just they sell in that ballpark for a reason.

Just an FYI for others, below is how they claim this reticle works.

16617963598014015937540028091495.jpg

I never really think of a 2.5x as being for something where I care how effective it is at the point where elevation is a concern. For instance at 300 yards, about 10 inches of drop, that's still within a man minute.

I think if I had a choice I'd have an elevation dial for an occasional long shot.

With that said, I own 4 or so of the PAs with the middle reticle you posted - an ACSS CQB-M. Eventually I'm going to start swapping them out, it's not the reticle but rather the glass/quality that bugs me. As the sun sets a bit it's just hard to see, harder than it should be. They are great for 200 bucks, just they sell in that ballpark for a reason.

Just an FYI for others, below is how they claim this reticle works.

View attachment 655781
nah, that set of drops they`ve done is a BS. does not align with nothing.
of course it will still hit into a human size target, may be into a crotch instead of a heart at 300yds, but, it is just also too busy in the middle and i hate it :)

i think i went over this one, the vortex prism in 3x that had even worse eye box, and the prism i posted about from AT3 - all pretty cheap with a comparably cheap glass, it is not an ACOG by any means. but it works fine, and for tavor x95 the prism works very well. at least the 200yds top of the post mark and 100yds dot is right on with m855.

also 50/300 is a BS. the 300 zero and i just looked in the strelok pro - has a 30yds close zero. just hate inaccurate BDC reticles that do no show anything real. the AT3 one is done right.

They're finally cheaper than an SKS? Are these a good choice, then, for a budding warlord?

...asking for a friend
I picked an upper built by them from Primary arms. Was very impressed with the quality for the money. The tolerances are real tight on the take down pins. I am sure after use/break in period it will be much smoother. Too tight pre break-in is ok with me. Too loose would be an issue.

If I lived in a free state, I'd put one of those ARs in my nightstand, one in the bathroom, one in the kitchen, underneath the rug, in my cars glovebox.

Good thinking, then you’ll have something to throw at an intruder in every room of the house as that’ll be a much higher chance of hitting them vs shooting it at them.

Patrol officers med kit from Primary arms. Good deal on a Cat tourniquet and combat gauze. I’m not sure you could buy them separately for the money. $36+ shipping

$349.00 for complete AR15

Interesting enough to see so many sales into extreme low mid $300s. Looks like they are trying to dump the existing merchandise quite bad. Hmm.

Interesting enough to see so many sales into extreme low mid $300s. Looks like they are trying to dump the existing merchandise quite bad. Hmm.

It's probably worth about what it costs for starters :)..

But then, these midterms, they create peace among gun owners, or just generally a saturated AR market after the latest boom, suddenly it may be gun market doldrums again.

They are playing "HOT POTATO" with those rifles to see who gets stuck with them when the Ban Hammer swings...
It's not a "SALE"... It's a "PANIC"

Qclw.gif

I think this is simply that firearms manufacturing far out paces ammo manufacturing capacity. Guns are being built in record numbers in affordable price points but then people cannot afford to shoot them. Most people are still being hurt by gas and food prices so there's no extra income for ammo.

I told everyone we need more ammo manufacturing in this country 3 years ago when I saw the shortage coming and most people thought I was crazy because it was too much of an investment and there'd be no payback. Now it's three years later and primers are still $90-130/k if you can find them.

damn, they got some decent barrels in there at real good prices. too bad i need none now. BA 20" heavy profile .308 for $131, BA 18" premium heavy for $158, BA 20" 6.5CM premium heavy for $161, not bad.
if they would also price those faxon big gunners at $160 level i would get some.

Last edited:
damn, they got some decent barrels in there at real good prices. too bad i need none now. BA 20" heavy profile .308 for $131, BA 18" premium heavy for $158, BA 20" 6.5CM premium heavy for $161, not bad.
if they would also price those faxon big gunners at $160 level i would get some.

Looking at that, am interested in the 20 or 22 inch 6.5 version, as a spare/backup.

Basically I fired up a new 6.5 creedmoor rifle, had 10 rounds through it then was cleaned, then was sighting in. Absolutely could be ammo, break in, something - it has a Criterion on it, 22 inch, but I outshot off the same table with my 7.62/.308 using mil spec PP 7.62 - I expected same or better from the Hornady American Gunner stuff. Just isn't a good sign.

Seeing a good deal, almost think I ought to jump the gun, snag one in case going to good ammo doesn't tighten things up (which mind you 3 boxes of that almost pays for these barrels).

The BA 22 inch has a .936 journal, 76 ounces. The BA 20 inch an .875, 66 ounces. I do not care about weight on this one - it's always gonna be uncomfortable to shoulder and sits on something.

On one hand - I could port my existing gas block from the 22 inch criterion to the 20 inch BA barrel, as the criterion is a .875. On the other hand, seems like that 22 inch version is just a touch heavier all around, not a bad thing, kinda "better", even if there's little advantage beyond 10 ounces holding it put - when/if I did decide to install it, I'd be into a $90 gas block, a $15 tube (not end of the world).. usually I do not move gas blocks around either, prefer to leave them be unless a barrel is really known as bad.

What do you think? 20 or 22 under the circumstances?

Looking at that, am interested in the 20 or 22 inch 6.5 version, as a spare/backup.

Basically I fired up a new 6.5 creedmoor rifle, had 10 rounds through it then was cleaned, then was sighting in. Absolutely could be ammo, break in, something - it has a Criterion on it, 22 inch, but I outshot off the same table with my 7.62/.308 using mil spec PP 7.62 - I expected same or better from the Hornady American Gunner stuff. Just isn't a good sign.

Seeing a good deal, almost think I ought to jump the gun, snag one in case going to good ammo doesn't tighten things up (which mind you 3 boxes of that almost pays for these barrels).

The BA 22 inch has a .936 journal, 76 ounces. The BA 20 inch an .875, 66 ounces. I do not care about weight on this one - it's always gonna be uncomfortable to shoulder and sits on something.

On one hand - I could port my existing gas block from the 22 inch criterion to the 20 inch BA barrel, as the criterion is a .875. On the other hand, seems like that 22 inch version is just a touch heavier all around, not a bad thing, kinda "better", even if there's little advantage beyond 10 ounces holding it put - when/if I did decide to install it, I'd be into a $90 gas block, a $15 tube (not end of the world).. usually I do not move gas blocks around either, prefer to leave them be unless a barrel is really known as bad.

What do you think? 20 or 22 under the circumstances?
i think i have this exact one on my ar10 -

will go check now... looked at it, pictures on their site are inconclusive. i like how 20" long one handles. and i think 22" will feel a bit too long, the bergara i got is 24" and handheld it is not great. the ar10 i can hold up still more or less ok.

dunno wtf, i cannot find it on the BA site neither. it is labeled '6.5 creedmoor 1/8 416R SS MP U1325'. shoots sub moa, no issues.
hmm, it is labeled by aero, that is why... but i think it is a generic 20" one i sent the link for.

Last edited:
it has a Criterion on it, 22 inch, but I outshot off the same table with my 7.62/.308 using mil spec PP 7.62
i would recommend not to give up on it. take it off, then run a lapping tool to sit it properly, and may be try using a bit more torque first, you should find a good setting. i would not think a criterion should be messy with it.

the ammo you shot - was it a 140gr? my AR with usual S&B was doing still a sub - may be 3/4MOA at a 100. with a proper reloads it is half moa. bergara is a 1/4 moa.

View attachment 655743

View attachment 655750

View attachment 655747

what? is any of this based on experience or just expert analysis?

im not a PA optics fan but their 2.5x prism offers excellent clarity and very useable reticle. I’ve easily taken an AR to 300 yards with it. No problem. wind holds are pointless on a 2-3x optic. it just clutters up the reticle. This AT3 optic is bottom barrel Chinese glass. The PA 2.5 is also Chinese but at least didnt get assembled in a wet market.

i would recommend not to give up on it. take it off, then run a lapping tool to sit it properly, and may be try using a bit more torque first, you should find a good setting. i would not think a criterion should be messy with it.

the ammo you shot - was it a 140gr? my AR with usual S&B was doing still a sub - may be 3/4MOA at a 100. with a proper reloads it is half moa. bergara is a 1/4 moa.

Yes, a 140 grain. Bulk box, rounds loose, not ideal either.

Was in the 1 moa ballpark. What bugged me is all that sighting, probably 80 rounds, pretty consistently around there minus a few fliers, but never really a 3 shot group under that. Had a buddy, a better shot than I usually, two targets, nothing tighter produced.

Same conditions, my 7.62, first 3 shots I had 2 touching and it was like that for about half the 3 shot groups. Yeah that rifle is very good for no reason i can cite. Maybe with good ammo and things converge between the rifles with the 7.62 seeing a more marginal change and the 6.5 getting tight. It wasn't sloppy just expected similar results.

Ok - I'll take that advice, hold, save $160, take it apart and re-fit, probably the sensible thing to do. I believe I torqued it on the low end, I want to say 40 lbs. One thing on the M5s, haven't found a good vice block - not happy with versions that basically put all the stress on the lugs. I clamp the reciever in a vice, using a plastic shim to protect it. Feels ok but I'm very anxious to carefully torque them and get them out of the vice. Wish Aero sold a vice block for the larger recievers, for AR15 stuff those clamshell style blocks are great - very positively locked and kept true during the torqueing process.

Back
Top Bottom