• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dead Mans Concealed Gun Fires Off Inside Cremation Chamber

The only words I can come up with is wow and how TF is that even possible?! (Not them missing it but the even getting it in there part). Yikes.

So the Commonwealth of Mass. charges $200 to sign off on a cremation?
A spokesperson said: “The OCME’s role in authorizing a cremation is to verify the decedent’s identity and visually confirm that their physical appearance is consistent with the assigned manner of death...🙄

So the Commonwealth of Mass. charges $200 to sign off on a cremation?
It's not for cremation, but authorization for the funeral home to dispose of the body by any lawful means.

It's to give the ME a chance to look to see if the death qualifies for an episode of a "true crime" TV show. There is also a two day waiting person before the corpse can be disposed of. I don't think the ME comes out in all cases, but the two days is to hive him/her/it a chance. Attended deaths in medical facilities don't get as much interest as FORD deaths (found on road dead).

I don't think you have to pay the $250 unless you are claiming the body - let the state dispose of it and you don't pay. But remember, this is offset by the $255 Social Security death benefit.

It's not for cremation, but authorization for the funeral home to dispose of the body by any lawful means.

It's to give the ME a chance to look to see if the death qualifies for an episode of a "true crime" TV show. There is also a two day waiting person before the corpse can be disposed of. I don't think the ME comes out in all cases, but the two days is to hive him/her/it a chance. Attended deaths in medical facilities don't get as much interest as FORD deaths (found on road dead).

I don't think you have to pay the $250 unless you are claiming the body - let the state dispose of it and you don't pay. But remember, this is offset by the $255 Social Security death benefit

The $200 is paid to the Massachusetts Medical Examiner's Office strictly for an authorization for cremation. They send out a medical examiner or M.E. Investigator to
The $200 is paid to the Massachusetts Medical Examiner's Office for an authorization for cremation. They send out a medical examiner or M.E. Investigator to the funeral home or crematory to personally view and sign off on any body to be cremated.

The family even has to pay this $200 fee if the ME's office already did an complete investigation and autopsy. New Hampshire only charges $60.

The disposition permit is a separate permit issued by the city or town of death for any form of disposition. Boston charges $31 for this, some towns don't charge anything for the disposition permit.

In their defense, the crematory staff would have no reason to check a body or even open the container or casket. This is first the responsibility of the hospital to inventory belongings, then the funeral home to double check the hospital.

I have buried many firearms over the years. Thankfully, I've never cremated one.

Wheeler686

Matarese funeral home in Ashland received a live one quite a few years ago.

Much to his credit, the owner of the funeral home called 911 instead of using an alternative procedure to avoid the loss of a customer. I believe the non deceased decedent made it to the hospital alive, but died within a few hours or days.
If it was the woman that was found dead in the bathtub, but "got better" (Monty Python reference for you kids), she stayed alive for at least a while, but had some psych issues, IIRC.

ETA: that was in 2001, not sure if she's still around.

When the funeral home came to collect my dad, I sent him off with the hunting coat he used to wear on the marsh. "Oh, wait!" I told the undertaker, and checked the pockets. Yep, there were a few duck loads in it.

Back
Top Bottom