Day 76

1:13 PM - Day 76

BPD licensing office calls back.

Them: Yes, Mr. [last name], you're application is still in process. We're waiting to get some information back from the state. Call back at the end of the week, could you?

Needless to say, I'll be calling the office of Colonel Thomas Robbins, of the Massachusetts State Police, to see if there is anything I can do on my end to "help the process along".

I doubt that MSP cares.

I'll bet it is DMH that is the hangup. Some personnel changed there and they have always dragged their feet about searching their 16th century database system (boxes of records searched by hand).

DMH got no money when the law required the PD to query them, so they never "bought into" this system and have no interest in helping out.

Have you changed names at all in the past? There really isnt anything that should hold it up at the state.

derek said:
Have you changed names at all in the past? There really isnt anything that should hold it up at the state.

They don't need a reason, Derek. It took Ed (hubby) 138 days for his renewal, and no, I didn't have a type-o - 138 days. All I can say is thank heavens I've got a class A.

Maybe, when my background check came out as a blank sheet of paper, they figured something had to be wrong with the system, and they're re-running it until something, anything, comes out.

That would serve me write for staying on the straight and narrow all my life.

mAss Backwards said:
Maybe, when my background check came out as a blank sheet of paper, they figured something had to be wrong with the system, and they're re-running it until something, anything, comes out.

That would serve me write for staying on the straight and narrow all my life.

Well if you were a criminal at least the state would consider you a victim of society and they would process it faster.

All is not lost

Hey! They haven't lost it! Who-hoo!

And, according to Lynne, you're just past the half-way mark!

Wow, good news all over.

Ill willing to bet a case of *insert favorite beer* that its the Department of Mental Health.

Im friendly with the LEO that does licensing in my town. At 60 days, I called saying "wtf". He said that he's waiting for the Department of Mental Health to get back to him, and that all other agencies are having problems with them too.

I guess they have a forum with the new computer system to talk to one another, like here, and they're all complaining about them not getting stuff back in a timely manor.

Dont worry. The state has 6 weeks to deny you. It could get fun if it goes past 6, then DMS says no-go, and you get denyed.

I was 73 days, I applied early January.

I don't understand

It took me almost five months and I live in Concord. Maybe I'm way simpler than I think I am, but isn't it taking everyone a lot longer than they say?

In any event, the important thing is that you get it.. Good luck!

Republic of Mass said:
Ill willing to bet a case of *insert favorite beer* that its the Department of Mental Health.

Im friendly with the LEO that does licensing in my town. At 60 days, I called saying "wtf". He said that he's waiting for the Department of Mental Health to get back to him, and that all other agencies are having problems with them too.

I guess they have a forum with the new computer system to talk to one another, like here, and they're all complaining about them not getting stuff back in a timely manor.

Dont worry. The state has 6 weeks to deny you. It could get fun if it goes past 6, then DMS says no-go, and you get denyed.

I was 73 days, I applied early January.

Your assumptions are correct!

I assume you mean DMH, I don't know what DMS is.

The state (DMH in particular) is the source of the problem, but the local licensing authority could fix the problem realy easily if they were motivated to do so. There's nothing (except for bureaucratic CYA) that reauires them to wait for a Mother-may-I from DMH before issuing a license. A couple of chiefs have been sending their own UDO letters to the state, saying in effect that unless they receive notice of some reason not to issue the license by a particular date (e.g., 40 days after application) the license will be issued. No problems as a result; I don't know whether the state manages to get quicker turn-around, but it really doesn't matter.

Ken

Ken,

Yes, that is an old trick that I learned in my first professional job as a nuclear engineer working at GD/EB. We used to send letters to Adm. Rickover's group all the time that way. If we didn't hear back, we went forward with their tacit approval.

I've used it over the years very effectively when dealing with bureaucrats.

Back
Top Bottom