• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Is There A 30 Day Temp Permit? Something New?

yanici

NES Member
Copied below is an answer from a forum member of another forum. It is an attempt to answer a question that was asked about transiting MA and NY, legally, with a firearm. I never heard of the 30 day temporary permit that is described below. Does this really exist?

Copied from other forum:
NY is the problem
Mass is not
if you have a carry permit you cand drive through with no issue but the weapon needs to be secured
if you are going to stay in Mass for a couple of days up to a month, you must stop at the closest State Police office and present your carry permit and they will givevyou ac30 day permit
i did that in 2019
driving through NJ and NY is a issue

I just had mine secured in luggage in the trunk and drove reasonably

MA State Police issuing temporary licenses on the spot for out of state license holders sounds bonkers to me from a logistical standpoint. Can't wait to see the responses in this thread.

20 years ago, there was an option on the non-resident LTC application to check transportation as a reason. They took that option off the table in the mid 2000’s because there was no point. They almost always issue 1 of the following 2 non-resident licenses.

restrictions: None
restrictions: Not For Carry

No such animal. MSP has been known to give out invalid info in the past, so it's possible some Trooper wrote up something, but there is no official 30 day pass form or MGL to allow for such. Also, it takes more than 30 days in MA just to get a resident LTC issued, never mind the many months wait for a NR LTC.

Copied below is an answer from a forum member of another forum. It is an attempt to answer a question that was asked about transiting MA and NY, legally, with a firearm.
Read the thread:
#Nullo

It's a troll from the ag office. More people in ma carrying illegally, more opportunity for cops to bust them. Feed the ma legal system and pad your 'guns are the problem' stats.

Walking into a state police barracks and announcing that you have a gun but no license is the worst idea I’ve heard all year. I’m surprised he didn’t recommend paying for the temporary permit with a bag of drugs.
Meanwhile, back at the barracks...
maxresdefault.jpg

Back
Top Bottom