Daley/Chicago about to get Ow3ned again.

Now get a U.S. District Attorney to enforce that and you might have something there. Nice find.

And the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois, who would be the one in charge of enforcement, is appointed by a president who is a product of the Daley political machine. So I'm sure there's no conflict there!

Case in point - MacDonald...

Lots of hurt feelings reports back and forth, but we got two briefs, two separate legal theories before the high court instead of one.

As it turns out, only Thomas was moved by the POI, because frankly (and I have to admit surprisingly), he was looking at the big picture. The other 4 were looking for Due Process...

We could have been in a situation where only POI was presented and 4 of the 5 didn't have the balls to do what needed to be done...

So Gura got stepped on, no question, but we got the decision we needed right now. Not the best possible one, but one that we needed none-the-less. AND, we got Thomas' comments on POI for the future...

In the end, we got what we needed even if some ego's got bruised (and rightfully so)...

The NRA may be limp members most of the time, but they are not the enemy...

[bow]

Thanks Kevlar. That's a much better definition than M-W, and probably a lot tougher to challenge since it's from the US Code.

No problem, but remember, the Heller decision negated that argument since SCOTUS ruled that it is an individual right, unrelated to service in the militia.

So Gura got stepped on, no question, but we got the decision we needed right now. Not the best possible one, but one that we needed none-the-less. AND, we got Thomas' comments on POI for the future...

In the end, we got what we needed even if some ego's got bruised (and rightfully so)...

The NRA may be limp members most of the time, but they are not the enemy...
Exactly. The NRA's involvement in MacDonald may well have been necessary for its success. I don't always agree with the NRA, but I think we need to stop the demonization of the NRA in the gun community.

Exactly. The NRA's involvement in MacDonald may well have been necessary for its success. I don't always agree with the NRA, but I think we need to stop the demonization of the NRA in the gun community.

It takes two to tango. They have had plenty to say about the new kids on the block too.

It takes two to tango. They have had plenty to say about the new kids on the block too.
Yes, my admonition goes both ways...

NRA needs to come off its high horse. In the world of politics, longevity works against you when historically the "established" parties have always worked against the principles of liberty and self determination.

Yet, if the NRA hadn't been punched in the face during Heller, there would be no incorporation case at all. [thinking]

I think Gura did it this way on purpose, frankly. He knew the NRA would take the "safe" route, so he was free to push the higher risk one on the off chance it would catch.

-Mike

Yet, if the NRA hadn't been punched in the face during Heller, there would be no incorporation case at all. [thinking]
Yes, the NRA was wrong on Heller.

I think Gura did it this way on purpose, frankly. He knew the NRA would take the "safe" route, so he was free to push the higher risk one on the off chance it would catch.
I disagree. He was full of himself after Heller and was overreaching.

I disagree. He was full of himself after Heller and was overreaching.
Believe it or not, there are some/plenty of us who think he was merely correct... [thinking]

That said, most of us who do think he was correct about POI also understood it was a longshot as the court would immediately recognize the fundamental re-write of government for the past 70 years that it would represent (which needs to happen of course, but they aren't willing to do that).

So, as I've said repeatedly, the NRA were obnoxious, but in the end, despite Gura's hurt feelings "we" (the American people) got exactly what we needed. A smack in the face to the anti's. A correct holding that 2A is protected by Due Process. As a cherry on the top, we got the question of POI raised in the highest court for another day to be more deeply explored.

I also keep in mind that POI is potentially a can of worms with a "progressive" government. They start claiming all sorts of things are "rights" (like morning coffee, housing, medical care, food, positive mental attitude, insult free existence, etc...) Then they use this in spite of enumerated powers with the help of POI to destroy our nation once and for all.

POI needs a tightly controlled/respected enumerated powers clause to function IMHO. Without it, it is just another overbroad grant of power to the Federal Government (which should not be a surprise given its origins).

Back
Top Bottom