• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dafruck happened to 7.62x54r ammo?

It's going for .30/round now!?

According to ammoseek.com, 34 cents is the lowest price per round (doesn't include shipping, I suspect).
30 cents per round for a high-power round sounds like a deal to me. What prices used to be simply aren't relevant today.
Although I don't shoot this caliber, I do reload it. Unless I steal components, it's pretty hard to compete with 30 cents per round. I must add that I did acquire some Albanian surplus (.217" diameter berdan-primed brass case) for 25 cents a round recently.
If you're in SECT, I can probably get you more at this price...

yep. the cheapo train has left.
think, war in Ukraine, war in Syria. Russians need their ammo to supply their proxies. No more sales to big bad US. anti-US feelings in Russian Reich are at all-times high since 1950-60s. Thought is: "we need to nuke Pindostan (USA) before they nuke us". And this is not a hyperbole i just used. Russians are totally brainwashed by Putler's propaganda machine. His approval ratings are 86%. The whole thing will implode eventually, no doubt. Question is how much damage to the world they will cause before Putler's pahanat regime is out.

Last edited:
I noticed this over the past year or so. All the suppliers I use to order from have been out of stock for a while now. All I can find now is match/sniper 182 gr ammo for 60 cents a round (for vendors who ship to MA anyway). There are a few free state vendors who have Wolf for ~40 cents/round shipped.

Posted about it back in July in the "trouble finding x54r" thread:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/253515-Trouble-finding-7-62x54r/page18?

I have 5 spam cans plus a bunch of yugo, czech, MFS, and PPU ammo but I got one spam can in the classifieds now that I'm selling to someone on Saturday. I haven't shot much x54r since last year so I figured I could sell of a can. What I have now should last a little while. Needed to make some room for 7.5 swiss ammo anyway.

Last edited:
If you bought a mosin because it was cheap or cheap to shoot and you didn't stack that shit deep .....shame on you.

If you like to shoot you should be buying 2x as much as you think you will use each range trip.

Basically you should buy 2 boxes on the way home Friday put it on the shelf and shoot 1 box (the actual amount doesn't matter) at the range....yeah I know there has been a little ammo shortage and you new guys are at a disadvantage but head the words what ever you think is cheap now buy as much as you can afford often.
if spam cans hit 50 cents per round I will have some to sell!

supply and demand is a factor as well, look at all the finn rifles that just hit the market. Gotta feed them something

So, I guess I should grab the rest of that Albanian surplus fodder, huh?
Anyone know if primers from Murom Apparatus are restricted for export to the USA? That would kind of put the brakes on reloading these empties.

I emailed the vendor I usually buy from. I told him I hadn't seen any on the website since earlier this year and I do check the site every few days it seemed. Just got back to me this morning.

We have had it listed Andrew, The last case was actually sold off thru the web site on Monday of this week.

There have not been any imports received in country in over 6 months. The Russian powers that be have decided not to release any more surplus 54R at this time. Unknown when this status will change.

I do have (1) pallet arriving next week of the Silver Tip 7.62x54R, It is no longer under $100 a tin of 440 as we have had to pay more than that to acquire it. We will not be able to determine the new price till it is here and we factor in freight charges.

I have placed your E/mail address in our notification list so you will know when it is available.

Regards

Also said in another email just now:

That last pallet only was on line for 36 hours, It is getting to be a tuff one

Last edited:
For anyone considering what is usually referred to as "sniper" ammo for their PSL/Romak rifles... remember, they were designed for 148/150 grain ammo. Anything higher ends up damaging internals.

For anyone considering what is usually referred to as "sniper" ammo for their PSL/Romak rifles... remember, they were designed for 148/150 grain ammo. Anything higher ends up damaging internals.

Thanks, good advice. I'll need to look into what's GTG for VEPR's.

Do any of you Mosin shooters that reload have any experience with the 123ish grain bullets (typical .310" 7.62x39mm fodder) in 7.62x54R. Seems as though these bullets would make for economical reloads.

Granted, it's still tough to compete with Norm's 200gr coated bullets...

From Hodgdon website:

Case: Norma Twist: 1:10" Primer: Federal 210M, Large Rifle Match Barrel Length: 24" Trim Length: 2.104"
BULLET WEIGHT 125 GR. SIE SP Starting Loads Maximum Loads
Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure
Hodgdon Varget .308" 2.715" 51.0 2,967 37,400 CUP 55.0C 3,139 45,700 CUP
IMR IMR 4166 .308" 2.715" 48.8 2,922 38,600 CUP 52.5 3,126 46,200 CUP
Hodgdon BL-C(2) .308" 2.715" 56.0 3,094 37,500 CUP 60.0 3,298 45,100 CUP
Hodgdon H335 .308" 2.715" 50.0 2,997 36,500 CUP 53.0 3,193 45,100 CUP
Hodgdon H4895 .308" 2.715" 50.0 3,036 36,700 CUP 54.0C 3,236 45,700 CUP

Last edited:
Got out of work early today and took a ride to SO and Rileys. SO had 6-8 780 round cases of Czech silvertip for $270. Not terrible for Czech x54r which is suppose to be real nice stuff.

In my mosin only surplus or some other random Russian stuff I got is accurate with the iron sights... all new stuff I have tried has been off, like 8 in high or low at 100yrds depending on brand. I need more spam cans

you mean 880 rounds?

Im like 95% sure they had them labeled as 780 but now that you mention it. Probably makes more sense if they were 880. I wasn't sure since I've never seen cases of Czech silvertip, only the 20 round cardboard boxes.

Last edited:
Nope you were right all along Andrew! I did some research and that is 780rds in one tin inside the crate. Supposed to be made by S&B and good stuff, though still corrosive.

Nope you were right all along Andrew! I did some research and that is 780rds in one tin inside the crate. Supposed to be made by S&B and good stuff, though still corrosive.

Interesting. At 34 cents, might be a decent deal?

They were in green wooden crates.

Tell me more, praytell. I don't shoot anything in 54R, but is this stuff in steel or brass cases and berdan-primed with .217" diameter or is it the typical 6.47mm diameter berdan-primed stuff?

FWIW, and if anyone really cares, S&B is part of CBC Group (also owns Magtech, MEN, CBC).
http://www.magtechammunition.com/corporate/about-us/history/

Last edited:

I thought it was more of a myth based around the problems some of there earlier American recivers cracking on the rear, when they where made with out the reinforcement plates.

Back
Top Bottom