CZ75b matte stainless or polished? Preban mags?

i found another dealer with 15 round mags that look exactly like the preban mags Andrew grabbed for us ( my mag does lock the slide back, i got lucky too). talked to the guy and he says these are direct from CZ usa, and he believes they are new manufacture. i could not find anyone else selling these 15 rounders.

Jeez I grabbed the wrong 3 for myself [wink] . I hope it's just the mag springs that are the issue and not the followers. But I'll just have to order some new followers from CZ if the springs don't fix it.

Those mags look a lot like the ones we bought. I'm curious if they have any markings (like MecGar for example) on them? I don't 'think CZ makes any new 15 round mags? For the compact models maybe? I'll have to message the seller. Good catch.

I tried them last night and they held the slide back. Thanks for following the group buy man!

(Heh, sorry)

Just my luck! lol. 2 of the 3 mags I have will only lock back if I really slam/rack the slide back forcefully but that's not how it should be obviously. Just spent $27 on 3 new mag springs.

Last edited:
Jeez I grabbed the wrong 3 for myself [wink] . I hope it's just the mag springs that are the issue and not the followers. But I'll just have to order some new followers from CZ if the springs don't fix it.

Those mags look a lot like the ones we bought. I'm curious if they have any markings (like MecGar for example) on them? I don't 'think CZ makes any new 15 round mags? For the compact models maybe? I'll have to message the seller. Good catch.

i messaged the seller already, he says they are new, and won't ship to MA.

i messaged the seller already, he says they are new, and won't ship to MA.

Darn. Well if they weren't "new" I could buy them and ship them to my mom's house in Manchester. She commutes from Manchester to Gloucester (where I live) for work and can drop them off at my house. Been using her address for ammo shipments from Midway, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Cheaperthandirt for a while lol.

But not worth it if they aren't true prebans of course. Did he say if they were MecGar mags? Any markings?

Just my luck! lol. 2 of the 3 mags I have will only lock back if I really slam/rack the slide back forcefully but that's not how it should be obviously. Just spent $27 on 3 new mag springs.

you probably need to replace the follower too, I spoke to the guy at CZC he highly recommended to replace both.

Darn. Well if they weren't "new" I could buy them and ship them to my mom's house in Manchester. She commutes from Manchester to Gloucester (where I live) for work and can drop them off at my house. Been using her address for ammo shipments from Midway, Cabelas, Bass Pro, Cheaperthandirt for a while lol.

But not worth it if they aren't true prebans of course. Did he say if they were MecGar mags? Any markings?

Good luck determining this. [rofl] Even the mags CZ sells new with their guns don't have much in the way of markings, just witness holes on the side and a finish that pretty much wears like a lot of the older mags. (you start using CZ mags at all and they look like they've been through hell and back pretty quickly. I had a variety of mags that I was -reasonably- certain were pre-ban but in all honesty they don't look much different from every other CZ mag out there. It's like trying to identify a BHP or Beretta 92 mag... when there are probably a half dozen manufacturers for each. Further muddying the waters is the fact that a bunch of CZ75 clones have
mags that work (mostly) fine in CZ-75 based pistols, with the follower upgrade I mentioned earlier.

Wonder how well some blasted/refinsihed w/cerakote preban mags would look/hold up under use...

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck determining this. [rofl] Even the mags CZ sells new with their guns don't have much in the way of markings, just witness holes on the side and a finish that pretty much wears like a lot of the older mags. (you start using CZ mags at all and they look like they've been through hell and back pretty quickly. I had a variety of mags that I was -reasonably- certain were pre-ban but in all honesty they don't look much different from every other CZ mag out there. It's like trying to identify a BHP or Beretta 92 mag... when there are probably a half dozen manufacturers for each. Further muddying the waters is the fact that a bunch of CZ75 clones have
mags that work (mostly) fine in CZ-75 based pistols, with the follower upgrade I mentioned earlier.

Wonder how well some blasted/refinsihed w/cerakote preban mags would look/hold up under use...

-Mike

But I think the new mags are marked "MecGar" on the side? But yeah it's a crapshoot determining if they're preban or not. As long as they don't have any markings on them, I'll gamble and buy em up. Ya you did say when I first started this thread that the followers might need to be changed. Looks like I'll order those. I assume it's these

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0420374005_Magazine-Follower-9mm40sandw

Might have to confirm with CZ.

Last edited by a moderator:
But I think the new mags are marked "MecGar" on the side? But yeah it's a crapshoot determining if they're preban or not. As long as they don't have any markings on them, I'll gamble and buy em up. Ya you did say when I first started this thread that the followers might need to be changed. Looks like I'll order those. I assume it's these

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/0420374005_Magazine-Follower-9mm40sandw

Might have to confirm with CZ.

New CZ mags don't say MecGar on them at all, at least the ones that I've seen. MecGar does sell nice mags but they are different from the CZ mags and I think some of them even have different colored followers and different basepads. The parts might not even be compatible.

-Mike

Well, we still got them for about half what a preban sells for these days, so no biggie.
I noticed that Wolff has three packs of mag springs for $17-something, not too pricey.

ETA: the Wolff springs are +10% BTW.

Jack

Ya that's true. I almost bought those from Wolff but Then ordered from CZC. Wolff was $4 cheaper when you include shipping so I'm not sure why I didn't go that route.

New CZ mags don't say MecGar on them at all, at least the ones that I've seen. MecGar does sell nice mags but they are different from the CZ mags and I think some of them even have different colored followers and different basepads. The parts might not even be compatible.

-Mike

cz rep just told me that new 15 round mags ( made for select states that can have 15 but not 16)are made and marked megar, with blue follower, and plastic base pad. new 16 round mags, are true cz, and have no markings, and metal base pad. so that just adds to the confusion

cz rep just told me that new 15 round mags ( made for select states that can have 15 but not 16) are made and marked megar, with blue follower, and plastic base pad. new 16 round mags, are true cz, and have no markings, and metal base pad. so that just adds to the confusion

Probably 15s for NJ. (they have a 15 round limit for some reason, maybe something to do with the bill ruger sr. thing, who the hell knows).

The mags that came with my Shadow (which I don't have anymore) I think were 18 rounds, no markings other than the CZ logo on the baseplate.

-Mike

-Mike

Yep, I have both and they looked totally different. The MecGar have a blue color follower.

-Mike

I agree. The new 16 round CZ magazines that come with a new '75B are painted gloss black and have metal base plates. I have three 10 round mags that have plastic base plates...these must be MecGar.

i picked one up, and then moved it to a new owner this week. it was nice, but didnt feel as nice as the 75 in my hand. then a 375 supermag showed up on GB, so decided to move it. there was another 97b in the classified this week too.

thanks but I've decided to go with the 75 if I can find one

Well I guess I should have tested the preban mags befote buying new springs and followers. I'm at the range now and all 3 mags function flawlessly and do lock open the slide on the last round. Oh well, probably not a bad idea to have spares.

All I can say is WOW this gun is just scary accurate! New sights are dead on and I had no issues hitting my 10" steel plate at 50 yards offhand. Unreal! This was well worth the money and wait time for sure.

Like I said before, all the preban mags functioned great and locked the slide back. Too late to cancel my order for the springs and followers.

Also tried out the CZ Kadet 22 conversion and it worked flawlessly except for a few light primer strikes. It was very accurate for a conversion kit. This is probably my favorite pistol next to the Coonan. I think this would beat out my pro series 1911 9mm in accuracy too. The trigger is just phenomenal - I love it! CZ has me hooked.

Back
Top Bottom