• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CZ 457 Precision Varmint

Does it really need a new trigger? From what I'm reading, the 457s have superb triggers. Like, CZ really nailed it. Unlike the 452 where you either had to play with springs until you got something decent or, as I did, replace with a Rifle Basix... or the 455s where the same thing applied, but the set trigger pull was pretty awesome.
not at all, why new trigger?
well, you can customize it to infinity, of course, replacing parts, but, the stock trigger is very nice. i set it to the 1.5# pull, and i like it this way, i have same pull set on the bergara. some who want less, say, a 1# may want to replace, but, i do not see a practical reason for it, but, i do not compete with it. OOB trigger is set to 4.5#, i think. it is easy to adjust.

link to a trigger guy i gave as he makes a ton of accessories. you will need a rail, to begin with. :)

Last edited:
I was looking for a 457 but settled for a 455. It was doing the one ragged hole thing until I put a suppressor on it and it started shooting wild. Inches left and right. I finally noticed a tiny bit of machining swarf on the threads that kept the suppressor from sealing tight. I filed that off, and back to one ragged hole - very, very quietly. Superb rifles.

Another Spring with tons of squirrels after the great Fall 2020 mast season - which means they’ll all be gone by Fall from the varmint surge 🤨 Really, so many Fisher Cats this year that they’re road kill here in SoNH...never seen such before!

not at all, why new trigger?
well, you can customize it to infinity, of course, replacing parts, but, the stock trigger is very nice. i set it to the 1.5# pull, and i like it this way, i have same pull set on the bergara. some who want less, say, a 1# may want to replace, but, i do not see a practical reason for it, but, i do not compete with it. OOB trigger is set to 4.5#, i think. it is easy to adjust.

link to a trigger guy i gave as he makes a ton of accessories. you will need a rail, to begin with. :)

Ok, good. You had me worried there. ;)

Does it really need a new trigger? From what I'm reading, the 457s have superb triggers. Like, CZ really nailed it. Unlike the 452 where you either had to play with springs until you got something decent or, as I did, replace with a Rifle Basix... or the 455s where the same thing applied, but the set trigger pull was pretty awesome.

The trigger is OK imho. Not bad but not crisp either.

I actually think the trigger on my 452 with Yo Dave kit is better.

I wish the trigger was like the CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange. That is the best trigger I've ever experienced by far.

I hear the Timney 457 trigger is really good.

The trigger is OK imho. Not bad but not crisp either.
ETA: - ah you mean the out-of-box 457. Thanks.
I actually think the trigger on my 452 with Yo Dave kit is better.

I wish the trigger was like the CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange. That is the best trigger I've ever experienced by far.

I hear the Timney 457 trigger is really good.
ETA: And no fitting needed. Hunh! Neat. I'm extremely happy with the Rifle Basix in the 452. It was better than the spring kits, for me, anyhow.

Last edited:
Thanks - I asked in part because people on rimfire boards have been commenting on the Eley-made Wolf Match not being quite as good as the earlier SK-made Wolf Match. Given that, with the SK-made stuff people often saw only marginal difference between the match and match-extra, my gut is SK was testing by lot, and assigning them to match or match-extra, and some of the regular match batches were pretty much match-extra. Eley may be making them with a bigger separation between match and match-extra. DUNNO. I'm surprised the Match Extra isn't about as good, but, it IS a different manufacturer, so it's a different round of sorts, so you may be back to square 1 of "What shoots best in my rifle?"
In the end when you find something that shoots well buy 10k rounds of that lot#
SK is pretty good stuff for the price.
There higher end stuff- $9-12 a box is about where it taps out IIRC. So when SK was packing wolf it was from their higher end of the line.
Look at what eley gets for $9-$12 thats just a tad out of their practice line. Eley top end is what $18-$22 a box?
Eley 10x is extremely consistent, my skills and platforms are not up to deliver that consistent all though I do have 10x in the pile and will occasionally treat myself and my rifles to a few boxes here and there.
Eley edge did well in my rifles also and I ran 100 rounds of that SK pistol match special through my 513t and it held the 3moa 10 ring at 200 yards which is very good for me. That was $11.50 when I,grabbed the 2 boxes on the shelf.
I have a good variety of 22lr left over from 20+ years ago.
Some decent results from that US Army contract stuff from the cmp
Golden Eagle target and match made by Aquila
Of course CCI standard is often pretty darn good for the price point. Again buy a few 100 test them and if at all possible by the same lot# in as much as you feel you need.
My friend shipped off his new to him Anschutz 1911 super match to eley back in 2018. Eley biathlon and tenex where darn near same results in his rifle. So he went with the lot # they had 10k rounds for. He figures that will last him at least 5 years , he also picked up 5k rounds of eley practice while he was at it.
He shoot 50m prone only. Laughs at me shooting at 100-200 his words "thats what center fire is for"

what scopes you are setting your 457 with?
i went with a Diamondback 4-12x40, as i do not want more than a pound of weight added, and did not see anything else with more than 10x magnification that is lighter than that. vipers and tacticals all seem to be in 23-28oz weight. but it lacks parallax adjustment and has no illumination of the reticle.

what scopes you are setting your 457 with?
i went with a Diamondback 4-12x40, as i do not want more than a pound of weight added, and did not see anything else with more than 10x magnification that is lighter than that. vipers and tacticals all seem to be in 23-28oz weight. but it lacks parallax adjustment and has no illumination of the reticle.

I went with the Leupold 3-9 rimfire scope. I have its predecessor on my CZ452 and it's been a really good scope.

ETA: - ah you mean the out-of-box 457. Thanks.
ETA: And no fitting needed. Hunh! Neat. I'm extremely happy with the Rifle Basix in the 452. It was better than the spring kits, for me, anyhow.

Out of the box 457 is not crisp. Certainly not a bad trigger but not what I hoped for.

I've heard great reviews on the Timney 457 trigger. Decisions, decisions.

I may order a CZ 457 MTR so the Precision Varmint is not lonely...

:)

Back
Top Bottom