CZ 452 range report

The Goose

NES Member
This rifle is a whole new experience for me. I have not been a rifle guy. Most of my rifles are military derivatives that were purchased with some SHTF or home defense scenario in mind and are equipped with either iron sights or some form of red dot. I have had little or no experience with sporting rifles and traditional optics. However, recently I have come to the realization that past 50 yards or so I cannot see shit. On a spur of the moment whim I purchased a CZ 452 .17 Mach 2 and mounted a BSA Sweet 17 scope (6-18X40mm) on it. Just for the hell of it!

Today was my first go with it. My boresight was too big for the .17 bore so I just mounted the scope and had at it. I set up a standard target at 25 yards with a 5.5" Shoot N C on it. I had a good seated bench and rest. I aimed dead center and squeezed off 3 shots. I was bummed that not one shot was on the Shoot N C and without a spotting scope I had to walk out to the target. To my amazement all 3 shots were touching at the very bottom of the paper in a straight line down from dead center. Probably 7 - 8" low. I proceeded to to gradually work my way up in 3 shot groups until I was where I wanted to be. I then did the same thing at 50 yards amd 100 yards. I was in no hurry. I just took my time and enjoyed the experience. Once I felt that I was sighted in I could play a little.

I scattered a few clay pigeons on the 100 yard berm and proceeded to shoot them to dust. The first shot would break up the clay and then I would go after the pieces until there was nothing left to shoot. With the scope all the way up to 18 I could see each piece explode into dust. It was great. I have never experienced anything quite like it. This was just plain fun. The little .17 has almost no recoil and makes very little noise.

I love this rifle and scope. I know it will never hold off a horde of zombies or Commie paratroopers, but damn it is just plain fun to shoot. Highly recommended and a real treat for these old eyes!!!

7407011.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 452 Ultra Lux in .22. I love the thing. The only thing, the Ultra Lux has all that gold trim...but it was the only way to get the 28" barrel.

Congrats on the new rifle...and glad that you like it...

I've been wanting to get a .17...I like that the HM2 is cheaper to shoot than the HMR, but I think that the HMR is a lot faster and flatter... Either way, I've been wanting a .17.

Back
Top Bottom