Customs & Border Protection Calling Pocket Knife a Switchblade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Customs and Border Protection Agency is pulling a fast one. they submitted a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) on May 26th that would change the definition of a switchblade to include ANY assisted opening knife, which is about 80% of all pocket knives. (You know the nice knives almost all of us have that we can open with one hand.) They are doing this rather underhandely by limiting the comment period to 30 days (They denied an extension from kniferights.org) and get this, THEY WILL ONLY ACCEPT COMMENTS VIA SNAIL MAIL they are purposely trying to cram this through without any opposition.

Everyone needs to go to www.kniferights.org and get the information(they have form letters for the CBA and your elected officials and all the contact info) and a stink needs to be made. This is gov. run amock at the extreme!!

This isn't just about importing or exporting, this will essentially ban all of those knives. you can read the NPRM here http://www.kniferights.org/U S Customs Proposed Ruling - Assisted Opening Knives.pdf

Really, time is of the essence here. Letters need to be mailed this week in order for them to make it to CBPA before the comment period ends. OH yes, and unlike your taxes, the letters have to be delivered before June 21, not postmarked. Call your congressmen and make them aware and follow up with letters.

Lets just take away every right we have and make everything illegal. Isn't that what freedom and democracy are all about?

Seriously, this cannot pass. We do need to write some letters and stop this before it takes effect.

I'm sure making assisted opening knives illegal will make us all safer, all they are good for is criminal intent.[rolleyes] What is this world coming to when a pocket knife is considered unsafe or a danger to society because it's easy to open? I guess we should do the same to fixed blades as well, as they are always ready to go.

Again, don't think that because this is being pursued by the US Customs and Border Protection Agency that this will not affect you. As noted from Kniferights.org

"Note, please, that CBP's interpretation of the Federal Switchblade Act forms the basis for national, state and even local law and judicial rulings in many cases. This ruling by CBP is NOT limited to just imports. This WILL affect virtually everyone who carries a pocket knife, no matter the type!"

WE NEED TO MAKE A STAND ON THIS ONE!!!

Just called my NH Senators and Reps. and not one of them seemed to be aware of the Customs & Border Protections sleazy move. If you can't write your elected officials at least call their office so they will realize this is something that needs to be addressed. Yes it does make a difference! If they get a dozen calls on one subjet they really do take notice. I focused more on the underhanded tactics taken by the CBP and they seemed to perk up when they heard that. Most were quite surprised that the CBP was not accepting e-mail as a means to comment on the NPRM.

For those in NH
202-224-3324 Senator Judd Gregg
202-224-2841 Senator Jean Shahean
202-225-5206 Rep. Hodes
202-225-5822 Rep. Carol Shea-Porter

For those in MA
202-224-4543 Senator Ted Kennedy
202-224-2742 Senator John Kerry
202-225-5335 Rep. John Olver (D-MA 1st District)
202-225-8112 Rep. Richard Neal (D-MA 2nd District)
202-225-6101 Rep. James McGovern (D-MA 3rd District)
202-225-5931 Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA 4th District)
202-225-3411 Rep. Niki Tsongas (D-MA 5th District)
202-225-8020 Rep. John Tierney (D-MA 6th District)
202-225-2836 Rep. Edward Markey (D-MA 7th District)
202-225-5111 Rep. Michael Capuano (D-MA 8th District)
202-225-8273 Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-MA 9th District)
202-225-3111 Rep. William Delahunt (D-MA 10th District)

Just pick up the phone and call them. I called all three of my elected officials and the call was answered immediately. Even if you don't think your Rep will be sympathetic to your cause, they will definitely be interested in the underhanded way the CBP is trying to get this through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom