Customizing a Remington 597

Hey guys. I just finished a project on my 597 and i wanted to share the progress.

I started out with a bone stock Dick's Remington 597 with an Olive Drab Green stock and it was kind of boring to me so here we go:

Here is my "Paint Booth"
project002.jpg

And the supplys for the camo job im planning:
project001.jpg

The important part of the items here is the can of Bulldog Adhesion Promotor on the left reccomended by our own Milsurps 4 Me. The molding process apparently uses oils that seep out over the life of the stock and affect the stick of the paint. Bulldog seals in the oil and gives the paint a good surface to stick to.

I taped off the areas that i did not want to color: I also put in sling mounts for both a sling if i choose and the bipot that will be on the front.
project004.jpg

Here shows two things :1) i removed the bolt and bolt handle and stuffed the reciever with papertowels to avoid getting overspray in there that would affect the action. 2)It also shows the scuffing that i did with the scotch brite pads
project003.jpg

After the Bulldog. Its all clear.
project006.jpg

Here is the first coat: I was really carefull about dusting the paint on to avoid drips and what i call clumping:
project007.jpg

Just for good measure:
project008.jpg

Next step was to make decals out of blue painters tape and wax paper. Peel off the wax paper after you cut them out and there you have it.
project009.jpg

After the decals were removed:
project010.jpg

project011.jpg

Thats it for now. I have to take some more pictures and get them on the computer.

Last edited:
Here is the last stage. I cut out the pattern on paper and laid it over the rifle and sprayed that color on:

1911012.jpg

I also did a few things to accurize it a little. I added a Volquartsen target hammer which lightened the trigger pull by pounds (don't have a gauge for an accurate reading).

I also added a trigger over travel stop using a method i leared at Rimfire Central.

bn005.jpg

bn006.jpg

And here she is finished. I am very happy...

bn002.jpg

Not at all. I think it was like $150? It shoots anything i put in it too. I had a ton of old assorted rounds in a coffee can and it fired them all.

After sighting it in i got a 1 3/4 inch group at 100 yards with the crappy ammo. I mean this stuff had corosion all over them.

It uses the sling mounts. Its got two little nubs that hook into the sling mount then has a thumb screw that you tighten down to clamp it on. I got it from dicks. On my stock i just used studs for a wood stock. Worked like a charm.

Back
Top Bottom