• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Curios and Relics Renewal Question form change

jaypap

NES Member
Just got the renewal in the mail.

Okay I have had the license for close to twenty years and I save copies of the renewal form, this year it changed.

Part B.

Hours of Operation used to have a check off box for Collector of Curios or Relics or a box for Gunsmithing activities ONLY.

You do not have to provide hours if you are a Collector or Gunsmith.

The new form says:

B. Hours of Operation and / or Avalibility of Business/Activity (Please provide at least one hour in which you can be contacted by ATF personel.)

Then there is a check off box for Gunsmithing activities only. The box for Collector of Curios and Relics is gone.

The sentence "You do not have to provide hours if you are a Collector or Gunsmith." is also gone.

Has anyone else renewed lately? Did you put a hour down? I know we are not engaged in business but the exemption to list hours seems to be gone.

Thanks

Unsure, but if it were me, I would put down N/A-Collector in that space. If they don't like it, you'll hear from them.

Understand that essentially they use the same form (format) for businesses (01 and 07) FFLs as they do for C&R FFLs, even if the info requested is not applicable to collectors. Attribute it to laziness on their part.

Just got the renewal in the mail.

Okay I have had the license for close to twenty years and I save copies of the renewal form, this year it changed.

Part B.

Hours of Operation used to have a check off box for Collector of Curios or Relics or a box for Gunsmithing activities ONLY.

You do not have to provide hours if you are a Collector or Gunsmith.

The new form says:

B. Hours of Operation and / or Avalibility of Business/Activity (Please provide at least one hour in which you can be contacted by ATF personel.)

Then there is a check off box for Gunsmithing activities only. The box for Collector of Curios and Relics is gone.

The sentence "You do not have to provide hours if you are a Collector or Gunsmith." is also gone.

Has anyone else renewed lately? Did you put a hour down? I know we are not engaged in business but the exemption to list hours seems to be gone.

Thanks

I got my renewal form a month ago or so (first time), and I was a little confused by the choices in that section as well. I ended up putting 1pm to 5pm during the week. Haven't gotten my new license yet, but they cashed my check, so I must be good. right? [laugh]

Please correct me if I'm wrong. However, I was under the impression that for an 03 C&R FFLs, unlike a 01 Dealer FFLs, BATFE does not do unannounced visits. Rather their protocol is to request a meeting to review records and that meeting can be held away from your home or residence and at the local BAFTE field office. Is that correct? If so, I wonder if they might be changing that policy which could explain why they want to know your "hours of operation", i.e. to determine when they can arrive at your home without notice.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. However, I was under the impression that for an 03 C&R FFLs, unlike a 01 Dealer FFLs, BATFE does not do unannounced visits. Rather their protocol is to request a meeting to review records and that meeting can be held away from your home or residence and at the local BAFTE field office. Is that correct? If so, I wonder if they might be changing that policy which could explain why they want to know your "hours of operation", i.e. to determine when they can arrive at your home without notice.

Your first impression is correct per law.

That said, they don't usually audit C&Rs, but a few years ago when they did they pulled a lot of crap just like they were dealers.

I would never post hours for them as I could be out or in depending on what I want to do on any particular day (or work that comes my way) and I'm not going to be "home-sitting" for BATFE as I am not running a firearms business. There can be hell to pay for a dealer who isn't there on their posted hours if BATFE were to arrive, they don't take kindly to excuses for why someone isn't there. I don't care if they did change the form, N/A is all they will get from me on the next renewal.

Back
Top Bottom