• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Curio and Relic Application Question

There is a specific reason I'd prefer to Email it, gets directly to the correct examiner quicker for processing. Just like the online form submittals by NFA folks. But it looks like I'll have to Snail Mail it for lack of Debbie's Email address and nobody answering phones at the Licensing Center.

When I moved I snail-mailed it and had a replacement pretty quickly, like a couple weeks. Is it just replacement time you're concerned about?

Huh... interesting.

I thought they'd changed their policies so gun shipments from *non* FFLs had to be overnight, but FFLs could do second day.

I shipped one on Wednesday and they were willing to take 2nd day, but she said something like, "they usually want them to be overnight because $reasons"
It's possible I got an inexperienced FedEx employee each time? I don't know.

Is it a good idea to send a copy of your LTC in with the application? I figure it can't hurt. I haven't had an 03 for a number of years but am reapplying.

Bad, BAD idea.

I can't tell you why, except with people like these it is wise to give no more info than is required.

Huh... interesting.

I thought they'd changed their policies so gun shipments from *non* FFLs had to be overnight, but FFLs could do second day.

I shipped one on Wednesday and they were willing to take 2nd day, but she said something like, "they usually want them to be overnight because $reasons"

I don’t really give a shit what their “policy” is. It’s not law and I do what I want. Ive shipped handguns to manufacturers for repair by ground more than once.

I have and I've read my share of fellas being audited but, in reality, with all the other diversions with their jobs, currently I haven't heard of an audit. Still you'll want to keep a good record of acquisitions and disposals. Remember, there is no other record of that firearm being purchased other than your book (which is so cool: having all those rifles and handguns without filing any papers with feds or local governments!). Having that info for future reference could be invaluable. BTW, if you already own any C&R eligible firearms when your C&R is issued, you DO NOT enter them into your book. Only enter those firearms you acquire while holding your current license.

This is only partially true. If you live in MA, you MUST file an eFA-10 when you receive your C&R firearm a well as entering it in your bound book. Those are state and federal requirements which are mutually exclusive. One does not substitute for the other. And any C&R firearms you already own don't have to be entered in your book when you get your license UNLESS you dispose of them (sell/trade/lose). Then they have to go in as an acquisition from your collection and a disposition to wherever it went.

I don’t really give a shit what their “policy” is. It’s not law and I do what I want. Ive shipped handguns to manufacturers for repair by ground more than once.

Huh... This is interesting, and counter to my understanding.

This:

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Says you have to inform the carrier that you're shipping a gun.

But when I went to the actual laws and CFRs, I couldn't find any that actually required notification when shipping to an FFL.

I can't actually find the text of 27 CFR 178.31, teh goog keeps pointing me to 27 CFR 478.31, which is pretty clear that you don't need to if you're shipping to an FFL:
27 CFR 478.31 said:

The reference to 178.31 was on gunbroker, so it might be a typo.

FYI - Wife texted me - C&R came in. Check cashed on the 27th. (I forget when I sent it. I thought it was 2 weeks before Christmas.) I'm whole again.

I filed for renewal... the check cashed 12/17/2018...I haven’t received anything back yet.

I received mine 2/05 ish..... I’m glad I have it... they may want to see it for my green card renewal next month

Back
Top Bottom