Curio and Relic Application Question

I have a quick question about the C&R application. Part B of the application asks for info on responsible persons. Given that I am using the license for collecting only, I am the only person for that section, correct?

The shutdown will have backed up the process so I'd expect to wait 2 months, and you may get it a week earlier than that.

My renewal was sent in mid October and received the paperwork in late December. Requested the LOA but never received it and had to call in mid December to ask for it. They can email that but you have to call and ask. Naturally, the check was cashed with lightening efficiency.

I guess this is what I get for letting mine lapse. should have renewed it back when I had one....oh well

I have to do a change of address. Just printed out the instructions and noticed that you can file it electronically . . . but you have to call a number to get the examiner's Email address to send it to. Problem is that they have nobody manning the phones, just a recording and it hangs up.

Anyone know the Email address for Debbie, the NH examiner?

Last edited:
For the cost, a C&R is a no brainer. Mine took about 3 weeks from postage to receiving purchases. However, the shutdown likely will slow things down.

Make sure you make plenty of photocopies of the license once you get it, and sign/use those when you make purchaces!

I filed for renewal... the check cashed 12/17/2018...I haven’t received anything back yet.

I once read that letting your C&R expire means those records you need to keep become null and void. And you can then toss them.

True?

Might be worth letting it expire once in a while - especially since there is so damn little C&R to buy anymore.

I guess this is what I get for letting mine lapse. should have renewed it back when I had one....oh well
Same here. I actually lost mine. Renewed 2 times, lost it the third time. I'm sure it expired already.

I have to do a change of address. Just printed out the instructions and noticed that you can file it electronically . . . but you have to call a number to get the examiner's Email address to send it to. Problem is that they have nobody manning the phones, just a recording and it hangs up.

Anyone know the Email address for Debbie, the NH examiner?

Why not just snail mail it?

A C&R gets you discounts at Brownells (and some other places), the ability to ship a handgun 2nd day instead of overnight at FedEx, in addition to being able to get old guns shipped to your house.

It’s still worth it.

Allowing your licence to expire doesn't require you to do anything with your bound book. You can shred it if you want. Me? I kept mine in my safe for my purposes only so I could review any info about a purchase or disposal although I have a file on every gun I ever owned. If something were to come into the possession of a bad guy or be used in a crime I wanted to have proof that I properly disposed of it.

I lapsed my C&R having had it for a long time but that was back when it was really the "golden age" of Curios and Relics. The internet really made the C&R holders proliferate. Imagine working only with trade magazines and newpaper advertisements or "Shotgun News". Once the 'net took over C&R eligible firearms were showing up almost weekly. Rifles like the SKS or MAS49s would show up by the crate. The same goes for M91/30s. You could buy them in sequential numbers still full of cosmolene. Many importers (and there were quite a few back then) would have buy two, get one free or "Twofers". They were like potato chips: you could not just buy one. Today, that's just about all gone. The C&R still works if you are buying something out of another collector's closet, however. It's just that C&R stuff isn't as prolific as it was a could of decades ago. Have fun!

I once read that letting your C&R expire means those records you need to keep become null and void. And you can then toss them.

True?

Might be worth letting it expire once in a while - especially since there is so damn little C&R to buy anymore.

Yes it's true. Once you let your license lapse you can destroy your bound book. If you then file for a new license you start from that point.
I don't really see the need. I've never personally heard of anyone getting "audited" that has an 03 FFL.

Damn. I just checked. They didn't cash my check until the 27th. Uh oh. LOL

And I've heard of a guy getting audited. It's stupid, but it's happened.

I applied for my 01/07 FFL mid December and they cashed my check within a week. Since then I haven't heard anything and I'm a month and a hall in. I'm betting it'll be three month before I hear anything.

Yes it's true. Once you let your license lapse you can destroy your bound book. If you then file for a new license you start from that point.
I don't really see the need. I've never personally heard of anyone getting "audited" that has an 03 FFL.

I have and I've read my share of fellas being audited but, in reality, with all the other diversions with their jobs, currently I haven't heard of an audit. Still you'll want to keep a good record of acquisitions and disposals. Remember, there is no other record of that firearm being purchased other than your book (which is so cool: having all those rifles and handguns without filing any papers with feds or local governments!). Having that info for future reference could be invaluable. BTW, if you already own any C&R eligible firearms when your C&R is issued, you DO NOT enter them into your book. Only enter those firearms you acquire while holding your current license.

Damn. I just checked. They didn't cash my check until the 27th. Uh oh. LOL

And I've heard of a guy getting audited. It's stupid, but it's happened.

I've "heard"of it happening. I'm saying I don't personally know of anyone it's happened to. It can and will happen, but I'll be willing to bet it's not just a random inspection. It's going to be based on some information.

Is it a good idea to send a copy of your LTC in with the application? I figure it can't hurt. I haven't had an 03 for a number of years but am reapplying.

No. The license has nothing to do with any state licensing. It's Federal and they don't need anything they don't ask for on the form.

I know people who were audited, C-pher in particular was one of them. It seemed to be a one-shot deal where they went after C&Rs across the country over a short period of time and not before or after that. I've had mine for 20 yrs now, no issues.

Why not just snail mail it?
There is a specific reason I'd prefer to Email it, gets directly to the correct examiner quicker for processing. Just like the online form submittals by NFA folks. But it looks like I'll have to Snail Mail it for lack of Debbie's Email address and nobody answering phones at the Licensing Center.

A C&R gets you the ability to ship a handgun 2nd day instead of overnight at FedEx.
I don't believe you HAVE to ship overnight via FedEx. Unless the FedEx people at the Peabody ship center aren't aware of the regs?? I've shipped many handguns through there and they never said it had to be overnighted. I've always done 2nd day.

I don't believe you HAVE to ship overnight via FedEx. Unless the FedEx people at the Peabody ship center aren't aware of the regs?? I've shipped many handguns through there and they never said it had to be overnighted. I've always done 2nd day.

Huh... interesting.

I thought they'd changed their policies so gun shipments from *non* FFLs had to be overnight, but FFLs could do second day.

I shipped one on Wednesday and they were willing to take 2nd day, but she said something like, "they usually want them to be overnight because $reasons"

Back
Top Bottom