CT river tournament

We fished out of the Chicopee ramp on the CT river on Sunday. Nice day, we thought the ramp would be loaded with shad and striper fishermen. It was not. Water was 64 at launch and it was partly cloudy all day. It did get quite muggy and warm in the afternoon. The cotton woods were just starting to shed the fluff into the river.

Ran to spot 1 and started seeing a few fish here and there cruising. Then found a couple on beds. I had to work them quite a bit to get them to take the bait good. Switching up baits was the key. If one thing aggrevated them but they would not eat it good show them something else. I was using tubes, a Yum Crawbug and a shakeyhead. Most fish I had to work 10-15 minutes to get a good hook in them. Several I hooked 2 or three times and lost them before I got them hooked good enough to get them to the boat.

Worked up and down the bank all day searching for more bedding fish, throwing search baits in between. I hooked up with a nice Largemouth in a laydown tree but the hook pulled on me, probably a 4+ lb fish. Both myself and my non boater got a good look at it and agreed it was probably over 4. It ended up costing me the tournament. I later caught a 2 lb largemouth off the same tree on a jig and pig.

I ended up with 4 smallies and one largie for 9.36 lbs and the winner had 10.86 lbs. All in all a good day though! I fished in Mass and CT waters.

Next one at Otis Res in two weeks.

http://baystatebassanglers.org/Ct River Chicopee2009.htm

You know I only understood about 2/3 of what you just said. But my father-in-law would understand all that, he loves to do fly-fishing. [smile] Sounds like you had a real nice trip!!

Q: Why is it the big one always breaks off...especially during the tournament! You weren't far from the winning catch...good day anyway. If it helps ease the pain, my hook slipped out of a 4 lb. smallie a few weeks ago at the Quabbin.(can't get that fish out of my mind).

I've had good luck this time of year on the Connecticut River using 6" black/gold Culprit worms on either a 1/4 ounce black slider hook or 1/4 ounce black head wide-gap hook dropped close to the beds(always casting upsteam and let it fall into the zone).

Im Headin' out the Quabbin again this Friday for smallies. Hope to have a few pics for the forum posted if the fish coooperate.

Back
Top Bottom