Crushed By The Mental Breakdown

The mind frequently trumps the body. I'm perfectly capable of hitting a golf ball in the air, relatively straight, for 200 yards. Unless, of course, there's a water hazard beckoning to me.....

Competing at something you enjoy is a sure way to ruin your enjoyment if you let it.

I lettered in golf, and used to play in a few different leagues over the years. Playing on a schedule (at a certain time on a certain course regardless of weather, etc.) , competitively made it less fun than just going out for a round of golf with my buddies when we just felt like it.

Same with bass fishing. I joined a club with about 15 other fishermen when I was getting into fishing. I learned a lot. But then I learned the same thing I did about golf. Having to be at a certain place, at a certain time, fishing in un-fun places, became un-fun quickly. Tournament fishing sucked all the joy of just fishing. Now I go out with my wife or friends, fresh or salt water, when the wind, weather, and our schedule cooperate. We go until my wife stops having fun, then come in. No schedule, ever.

Same reason I didn't join HOG or any other motorcycle club. I prefer to ride when and where I like, when and where I can. Not riding with others, stopping when they want, etc. I detest group think, and could never join a hardcore earn-your-vest "club".

If the competitive aspect is what attracts you, more power to you.

I shoot bullseye at CANN. Third year doing it now. The first time I went to shoot for record I had no idea that you had to shoot one handed. Ha Ha. It is humbling at times.

Mentally, everything must be POSITIVE, POSITIVE, POSITIVE!
NEVER squeeze the trigger when you are thinking anything other than shot process.

Do those 2 things and your score will take care of itself.

Question: in this league, is a match a standard 900? How is a handicap calculated?

Ahhhh. Got it.

Everyone gets a participation trophy. Just like "T" ball.
You can put it that way but a lot of gun games use a handicap system. .... if not, doesn't nake it fun for anyone else. Various gun games have always had s*** like this in them like for example the Lewis system where places 123 get the biggest awards but then 10 11 12 also get a much smaller award etc. It gives you something to look forward to even if you're not really that good. Not to mention it has the added benefit over time of increasing the level of competition because eventually those guys that are sucking are on the bottom some of them will start climbing. If they have no chance at the beginning they're not going to stick around.

For example I used to shoot bowling pins if every pin table only had four pins on it with no handicap pins for the good guys nobody would bother sticking around because the same people would make it to the end of a relay all day long....

Competing at something you enjoy is a sure way to ruin your enjoyment if you let it.

I lettered in golf, and used to play in a few different leagues over the years. Playing on a schedule (at a certain time on a certain course regardless of weather, etc.) , competitively made it less fun than just going out for a round of golf with my buddies when we just felt like it.

Same with bass fishing. I joined a club with about 15 other fishermen when I was getting into fishing. I learned a lot. But then I learned the same thing I did about golf. Having to be at a certain place, at a certain time, fishing in un-fun places, became un-fun quickly. Tournament fishing sucked all the joy of just fishing. Now I go out with my wife or friends, fresh or salt water, when the wind, weather, and our schedule cooperate. We go until my wife stops having fun, then come in. No schedule, ever.

Same reason I didn't join HOG or any other motorcycle club. I prefer to ride when and where I like, when and where I can. Not riding with others, stopping when they want, etc. I detest group think, and could never join a hardcore earn-your-vest "club".

If the competitive aspect is what attracts you, more power to you.

People don't shoot bullsye, smallbore or stuff like that for the hell of it. They do it because they want to win. The action is the juice. Think of it more like climbing a mountain or something.

The OPs issue isn't strictly competition based he has plataued and is frustrated by it. Particularly if he's seen glimpses in his own performance where hes done better etc. Particularly when the competition should be in striking distance etc. He's not ready to settle yet.

Even if you're not competing, things can still get mental wrt plateaus etc.

Last edited:
My buddy almost made it on that show “top gun” or whatever he choked out right before he got on in the preliminary. It was real blow his ego because he’s a decent shot he just absolutely sucked the way I hear it

You can put it that way but a lot of gun games use a handicap system. .... if not, doesn't nake it fun for anyone else. Various gun games have always had s*** like this in them like for example the Lewis system where places 123 get the biggest awards but then 10 11 12 also get a much smaller award etc. It gives you something to look forward to even if you're not really that good. Not to mention it has the added benefit over time of increasing the level of competition because eventually those guys that are sucking are on the bottom some of them will start climbing. If they have no chance at the beginning they're not going to stick around.

For example I used to shoot bowling pins if every pin table only had four pins on it with no handicap pins for the good guys nobody would bother sticking around because the same people would make it to the end of a relay all day long....
It’s not a system I ever shot with. There was a club that we shot at and we knew we didn’t have a prayer of winning at. Ever. We still went and had a good time.
We did however have different levels of teams.

I suppose the NRA classification system is technically a handicap system.

But, shooting against High Masters removes the mental ceiling we shooters impose on ourselves. If you only see 90-95% agg shooters, that is the goal you aim for. But if you regularly shoot against 97-99% shooters, your mental "high score" is now 99%.

I want those top-tier shooters at every match if only for an example of what is possible.

In 2020-2021 I started shooting 22 pistol bullseye again after a 20+ years hiatus. It was very enjoyable to shoot the 2020-2021 season in the Greater Boston Pistol League. I started out slow but improved all season and ended the year on what i considered a roll.

I came back this year and quickly picked up and was shooting far better than last year. So far I have continued to hold that level however the last few weeks I have struggled with the mental aspects of the sport. In other words I have hit the wall but not physically. Last year was nothing. My scores really didn't matter (only the top 4 scores count in a match) and I had no mental investment. This year my scores count, they make a difference. My competitive spirit is at full throttle and I want to win.

Tonight was a big match against MIT who is currently in 1st. place. To beat them and we would be tied at 5-2 each. I let the mental aspects of the whole situation get the better of me and I did not shoot up to my potential. Don't get me wrong, I did not have a complete meltdown and I shot well enough for my score to count but I expected better of myself. My mojo never got going and I never got in the zone.

It has been a long time since I have felt the drive to win in a team shooting sport and after tonight's performance it reminds more than ever about the mental aspects of competitive shooting.
IMO competition shooting is 90% mental.

I coach a youth shooting team, I actually have a really good mental exercise I give to the kids to kind of reset them into the right headspace for competition.
I'll type it out and PM you if you want.

I coach a youth shooting team, I actually have a really good mental exercise I give to the kids to kind of reset them into the right headspace for competition.
I'll type it out and PM you if you want.
Fear_is_the_mindkiller.jpg

Back
Top Bottom