• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crud in new can of Trail Boss

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
I opened a new can of TB to load some 45-70, working up a load. I filled my RCBS powder measure, I keep it really clean.

As I was weighing each and every load, I suddenly started seeing crud coming out of the measure. Have no idea what that stuff is but it disintegrates when you touch it. It is also heavy.

I am trying to find the customer service link for Horaday Trail Boss powders.

IMG_20160723_100643826_zpsisojdslj.jpg

IMG_20160723_093344394_zpsvr4wr5zg.jpg

IMG_20160723_094048969_zpsgbbk3xf5.jpg

What's the date on the powder?
Almost looks like cakes up graphite to me? I'm going to gander this is a chemical stabilizer that for what ever reason settled out. A shout out to IMR powders is in need .

How does the powder smell?
I had some red dot given to me and when I checked it was clumpy and looked like old rotten cardboard...clips ....it went in the garden.

I will get you the numbers in a bit. I know it was at least a year old but unopened as the price was 18.95 while my most recent "pound" was $35

Since I was weighing each load I caught it, and dumped the bad stuff into a different can. Shot the 40 loads I make up at the range in the afternoon and they ran fine.

the lot number is

Has a black screw on top rather than the red ones the rest of mine have.

Checked the rest of the powder in the can and it was ok, it was 4 loads in about 20 that had the crud

- - - Updated - - -

Collectors in Stoneham. Just last week. I was shocked. I left quite a few.

What did you pay a "pound"?

the lot number is

Has a black screw on top rather than the red ones the rest of mine have.

Checked the rest of the powder in the can and it was ok, it was 4 loads in about 20 that had the crud

- - - Updated - - -

What did you pay a "pound"?

Is your powder actually in a can?

dug mine out and I bought this stuff around 2013ish its IMR trailboss not Hodgdon as it is now. IMR appears to have dropped all but rifle powders from the line up (I know hodgdon owns the Winchester and IMR lines) a large amount of hodgdon powders are made by ADI and bottled and labeled here.
REMEMBER 1lb of Trailboss is only 9oz

16$ for 9oz in 2013 I bought a 5lb jug later that was much cheaper... was about 18$ lb in bulk

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom