Crow hunting

What are the potential repercussions of popping off a few turkey shells for patterning purposes while out crow hunting? I was thinking of scoping out future turkey hunting areas while crow hunting this coming weekend but don't want to put myself in any huge risks if I bring along a few turkey shells and targets. I'm in a similar position to the OP with no current home range...

i don't think pattering on a moving target is the way to go. I think you will have a hard time gauging if you hit the bird or not cause lots of times you pelt that crow hard and it flies off and dies somewhere else.

i don't think pattering on a moving target is the way to go. I think you will have a hard time gauging if you hit the bird or not cause lots of times you pelt that crow hard and it flies off and dies somewhere else.

I plan to only shoot stationary birds. Mostly, it's about practicing with my shotgun, load, and choke, to see if I can hit what I'm aiming at. I may bring some paper targets with me too. It really is silly that shooting a paper target in the woods isn't allowed, but shooting an otherwise innocent bird is perfectly legal. Sucks to be a crow, I guess.

Things went fine yesterday. Headed into Harold Parker for some crow/red squirrel/chipmunk hunting. Is a 3.5" magnum hevi-13 turkey load overkill for a chipmunk 10 yards away? You betcha! Is my gun sighted in? Yes.

No crows in sight...but I am ready for turkey season.

Did not realize quite how brutal recoil is on these 3.5's with a tight .660 choke and a light gun like the mossberg 535. My shoulder was feeling it this morning...

Back
Top Bottom