• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crossbreed Supertuck or other holster

strangely enough I just ordered a supertuck about 1 minute ago...when it comes in, if you are still looking for an answer, I will let you know.

I have wasted hundreds of dollars on worthless holsters. Crossbreed's 2 week money back warranty made me take the plunge.

I have the Supertuck Deluxe for my M&P 9c, and I love it. It's pretty simplistic, and takes a bit to get adjusted right, but once you have it the way you want, you'll never know it's there.

I had a crossbreed supertuck for my Sig 245 and I really did
not like it. It was very large and never fit me quite right. I switched
back to conventional IWB holsters (Andrews Leather McDaniel).YMMV.

F

I bought a Super Tuck about 8 months ago.

I only bought it because it was the only tuckable holster for a S&W K frame that did not have a six month long wait.

The concept is good but the execution leave much to be desired.

The clips they were using back then were complete shit. They could not be snapped over the belt. The belt had to be threaded through. And the slots for the belt were narrow enough that my most commonly used belt did not fit. I had to spend more money (and time) to order a set of CTAC clips from Comp Tac before I could use my new holster. Strike one.

The kydex was molded very haphazardly to the contours of the gun, making retention nearly non-existent. I had to spend nearly two hours heating the material up and slowly molding it around the gun to get decent retention. Compared to the molding of my J frame CTAC, the Crossbreed was done very amateurishly. Strike two.

There are several holes for the threaded inserts that you screw the clips to. The have these sharp prongs that are hammered into the leather. It is impossible to move those inserts to another hole and sink the barbs in without whatever tool was used to install them by the maker. This made the holster's "great" adjustability a moot point. Strike three.

I am probably two weeks away from receiving a beatifully handcrafted all leather tuckable from K&D Holsters for both my S&W Model 65 and Model 915. They actually cost the same as the Supertuck ($65) but Kevin Manely's products are in such demand that he has a 16 week backlog. By all accounts his products are well worth the wait:

cochise-brown-bg-2-s.jpg

My recommendation would be to get a leather holster from some of the makers that make quality products but have not gotten so big that their wait times are ridiculous. I see Martlet mentioned Southern Holsters. I haven't seen one in person but if the pictures are any indication, they should be superb. It also looks like his wait time is pretty reasonable.

Another holster maker I have experience with is Jim Murnak from FIST Holsters. I occasionally carry my Model 65 in his #9 Close Cropped Basic:
9.jpg

And just ordered a #20 Adjustable IWB for my J frame:
20.jpg

FIST is currently running a 3 to 5 week lead time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about getting one of these too.

Does anyone know what the "Combat Grip" option is on their ordering page?

I'm thinking about getting one of these too.

Does anyone know what the "Combat Grip" option is on their ordering page?

The "Combat Grip" option is where they cut the leather portion of the holster so that the grip of the handgun is eisier to grab. They say that it will make it less comfortable. I elected to not go with that option. I figure that if I change my mind I can always cut the leather myself.

The "Combat Grip" option is where they cut the leather portion of the holster so that the grip of the handgun is eisier to grab. They say that it will make it less comfortable. I elected to not go with that option. I figure that if I change my mind I can always cut the leather myself.

Yeah, I think I'll pass on that also. Thanks for the info.

Here is my review. Yesterday I received my holster. Had to help a friend move so I quickly placed the holster on and headed out the door. I first placed the holster towards my back...this is where I carry OWB. After the move I had to pick up another friend in Boston. After driving about 45 minutes I thought I was going to die from the pain of this thing sticking me in the back...Day 1...not good.

Day 2...I placed the holster on in the morning with two adjustments. (1) I moved the holster more forward than I did the day before. (2) I adjusted the belt clips to the second lowest setting. After wearing it all day I have to say it is very comfortable. As I sit here and write this I cannot even feel the holster.

About the combat grip...It is definitely a challenge to draw as the leather prevents you from holding the handgun firmly until you actually remove it from the holster. However, with practice I believe I can draw (as illustrated in the pick below). The fact that my handgun is a glock 27 may make drawing a handgun easier. With a larger handgun there may be a need to cut back some of the leather.

supert.jpg

In conclusion...I like the holster. It will enable me to carry without having to resort to an ankle holster (ankle holsters not being the optimal tactical choice). Now for the disclaimer...we all know that no one holster fits everyone. For me, this thing works...and I am thankful for that.

Last edited:
I have 3 of the Crossbreed holsters but they are the regular IWB and I find them to be very comfortable more so than my VM2.

I've been wearing my K&D Cochise Defenders for about a month now. I got one for my S&W Model 65 (which I used to carry in a Supertuck) and one for my S&W Model 915.

I am now more convinced than ever that the Supertuck is a second-rate holster at best. EVERYTHING about a custom boned-in leather holster is simply superior. Comfort, ease of draw, retention, and looks. Everything.

bEpOuuF0+oaKBUx9GYMd-qK6pzbjE-Hj0300.jpg

I have a plastic "Fobus" holster for a Makarov which I despise. I don't even like to wear it at the range. It digs in to my hip something fierce.

How are these working out for everyone?

Anyone using one with a Ruger or Makarov?

Anyone have a "Small Of Back" (S.O.B.) one?

What models do people here like, and why? Combat option? Horsehide? Thanks.

Also, anyone else have a specific answer on whether or not the plastic digs in or not? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the Supertuck Deluxe for my M&P 9c, and it's great. You can't feel the holster at all. No digging in here.

Ok I just got my Supertuck in the mail today for a S&W CS9. I'm wearing it now as I type and I have had it on for about 3 hours. Fed the kids, took out the garbage, and did a few other chores and now I am sitting down. I'll do some drawing and reholstering exercises in a few minutes.

So far so good. As Jose said the belt clips are crap. They feel like they will be break if I open them up more than the thickness of the belt. The wait time was about 3 weeks. Other than that it's supremely comfortable much more than the CTAC I had before. The clips do not dig in.

I don't feel much more than having the weight of the gun pulling me down at my 3:30. I'll report back in a few days.

OK- follow up, Drawing the gun is slow. Seems that I need to use my middle fingers to 'pop' the gun up and then grab and grip. I'll have to practice that.

Last edited:
Well I just got my Supertuck today for my J frame model 60, unfortunately I am pretty disappointed.

First off there is not enough room for the Hiviz sights on my gun, it will "wiggle" into the holster but drawing it is almost impossible. On the website it says "3/4 length full sight channel for clearance with ALL front sights.".[thinking]

Second, new model 60's which mine is, are .357 mag, which means the cylinder is longer then the .38 spl. J frames. So my model 60 will not seat fully into the holster meaning there is no retention (until the gun comes up enough to hit the front sight where it is all but stuck).

Third, the molding of the plastic is not only too small like I said above but when I did try a .38 spl. J frame which would fully seat, the top of the plastic actually has a "lip" which jumps over the back on the cylinder holding the gun in. Drawing the gun is once again all but impossible b/c of this "lip". I am not sure if this is bad molding or intended design.

Fourth, this may just be my problem and not the holster but I cannot conceal with it for the life of me. I am wearing a full size M&P45 right now in a cheap Don Hume IWB and it conceals much better. Maybe their designs work better with autos over revolvers.

Maybe it is just me but I have learned a lesson here, I will only buy all leather holsters from now on. I agree with Jose, they are second rate holsters, too bad the price wasn't.

Now I have to decide what to due with it.

simply return it. We are all different shapes. The good thing about these holsters are that they will take them back anytime within two weeks.

Well I just got my Supertuck today for my J frame model 60, unfortunately I am pretty disappointed.

First off there is not enough room for the Hiviz sights on my gun, it will "wiggle" into the holster but drawing it is almost impossible. On the website it says "3/4 length full sight channel for clearance with ALL front sights.".[thinking]

Second, new model 60's which mine is, are .357 mag, which means the cylinder is longer then the .38 spl. J frames. So my model 60 will not seat fully into the holster meaning there is no retention (until the gun comes up enough to hit the front sight where it is all but stuck).

Third, the molding of the plastic is not only too small like I said above but when I did try a .38 spl. J frame which would fully seat, the top of the plastic actually has a "lip" which jumps over the back on the cylinder holding the gun in. Drawing the gun is once again all but impossible b/c of this "lip". I am not sure if this is bad molding or intended design.

Fourth, this may just be my problem and not the holster but I cannot conceal with it for the life of me. I am wearing a full size M&P45 right now in a cheap Don Hume IWB and it conceals much better. Maybe their designs work better with autos over revolvers.

Maybe it is just me but I have learned a lesson here, I will only buy all leather holsters from now on. I agree with Jose, they are second rate holsters, too bad the price wasn't.

Now I have to decide what to due with it.

Mikey,

Just call or email them. They will want to correct your problems. Everyone I know has had some very dealings with them, and will work with you till the cows come home.

My holster fit like a glove, but it was an M&P9c.

I hope you have better luck after talking with them.

Ive been wearing a Supertuck for two weeks now.
As mentioned, the design seems as though it may be better for pistols rather than revolvers, based on my experience.
I use mine to carry my M&P40C and havent had any concerns about retention and concealment is pretty good. I can insert the pistol in the holster and shake it, upside down, quite a bit before it will fall out, but proper removal when worn is easy enough.
One modification I made was to apply moleskin on the back side, which has made it more comfy for me to wear all day while working. ( For the past two weeks I have been doing carpentry,cutting fish,office work,painting and yard work)
I think I do need to get some new pants which are an inch or so larger to accommodate the holster since wearing it with jeans that fit me well without the holster makes them feel too tight and makes it hard to tuck a shirt in between the holster and beltline.
All in all, I would give the holster an 8 out of ten.
I might spring for a different holster just to try it out but if I had to use only the Supertuck, I would be happy with it.

I have had Supertuck for about 2 weeks now and like it. It holds my Ruger P345 securly and close to my body, though I had to adjust it some to drop it low enough so my gun was correctly concealed. I ordered the extra J hooks with mine, they work much better than the original hooks. In fact, through normal wear in two days, one of the original hooks bent completely out of shape, as if it had no strength to it at all. But no problems whatsoever with the J hooks.

At least with mine, drawing the gun was odd at first. Mine has to be drawn back and up, or it stays firmly attached to the holster, rather than forward and up, as my other holsters have been. I don't know if this is because of where I wear it, how low IWB I wear it, or the gun itself. Overall I am happy with the hoslter and wear it every day.

I have a Glock 30 with rail. A lot of holster websites have drop down menus for their holsters that specifically call out a G30 with rail and a G30 without a rail. Some holster websides just list G30 with no mention of a rail or not. Am I to assume these holsters fit both a G30 with a rail and one without?

Email or call them. They will answer your question(s). I do know that if your gun isn't listed; then the owner will try to get a gun identical to yours to make a mold.

I have completely changed my mind on the Crossbreed Supertuck. I have had a few months now to get used to mine and I hate it more every day. The standard clips that came with it bent and eventually snapped. The extra J hooks I bought almost require a second belt underneath the first belt to hold the holster up.

The holster is still comfortable, but not supportive enough for me to feel confident about it not sliding down so the J hooks show noticably below my belt line.

I will be looking for a replacement as soon as I can afford something of a higher quality for my P345.

my updated review...

I have been wearing this holster for a couple of months and have some new observations.

I wear it all day, every day. I also shoot IDPA so I have had to draw a lot.

The clips are fragile and I already broke one set. I am now using the velcro. It does look like I will eventually have to re-glue the velcro on the clips.

I had to extensively cut back the leather on the holster (even more than the combat grip).

The holster is still very comfortable and very concealable. I remain a very happy customer

Sounds like they have clip problems. Are these plastic clips? Maybe if they switch to metal, they will have better luck.

Back
Top Bottom