• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Crossbow string failure?

So, I found a crossbow recently that is missing it's string. The owner told me that the string snapped because he had left it strung up and dry, and then it snapped. Is the crossbow still functional? Anything to be concerned about after the string snapped?

Exactly what these two gents said... Even the slightest stress fracture on a limb, and at some point it will blow up in your face ruining your day.

So, I found a crossbow recently that is missing it's string. The owner told me that the string snapped because he had left it strung up and dry, and then it snapped. Is the crossbow still functional? Anything to be concerned about after the string snapped?

What brand and model of crossbow?? Crossbow, like regular bow strings, strings don't generally snap because it is left strung.

Bob

I am willing to bet the string snapped from a dry fire or multiple dry fires. I had a crossbow hanging in my garage for years and it never snapped. I would pass. If you are still considering it, have it checked out at an archery shop like others have said.

I am willing to bet the string snapped from a dry fire or multiple dry fires. I had a crossbow hanging in my garage for years and it never snapped. I would pass. If you are still considering it, have it checked out at an archery shop like others have said.

I popped one a couple of weeks ago. It was 6-7 years old and I had re-served it 3 or 4 times so I can't complain.

If it is a compound Xbow it is probably time to walk away. If it is a recurve it is likely fine. An easy way to check the limbs for splinters is to run a cotton ball over them; any splinter will show up.

Keep in mind that the vast majority of bow and Xbow manufacturers warranty only covers the original owner.

Bob

I'm late to the party but if it is a Horton you better run as Horton went out of buisness and there are no parts to be had

Dave

Horton has been bought by Tenpoint. Who knows what the future holds for them now.

Bob
Ten point bought the name but not the liabilities, warranty claims or any remaining stock and parts. If you got a Horton you best hope it don't break as it has become a throw away bow. Ten point owners I believe are the original owners of Horton and by buying just the name they have effectively eliminated competition from another company producing bows under the Horton name and riding on the reputation of the name. Personally I wish ten point was adding Horton to their line as I own a Horton but for all practical purposes Horton is gone.
Dave

Ten point bought the name but not the liabilities, warranty claims or any remaining stock and parts. If you got a Horton you best hope it don't break as it has become a throw away bow. Ten point owners I believe are the original owners of Horton and by buying just the name they have effectively eliminated competition from another company producing bows under the Horton name and riding on the reputation of the name. Personally I wish ten point was adding Horton to their line as I own a Horton but for all practical purposes Horton is gone.
Dave

I didn't know the details. You are correct. Dead and gone.

In announcing the sale, CEO Rick Bednar of TenPoint said in a press release the Horton crossbow operation no longer exists and TenPoint will not make or service any previous Horton crossbows. For Bednar, the purchase was vindication for quitting as chief operating officer of Horton Crossbow in 1991, which he helped create six years earlier. Bednar debuted TenPoint Crossbows in 1994, followed in recent years by the less expensive Wicked Ridge line of crossbows.

TenPoint Crossbow Technologies buys Ohio rival Horton Archery: Outdoors Insider | cleveland.com

Bob

Would it be worth picking one up on super sale? I don't know anything about diy repairs btw.

Sent from the cheap skating rink using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Bob, you are right!
Folks, I have 2 horton bows at the no haggling price of full retail plus 300.
Kidding, waiting for my LTC and just practicing for when I sell ammo and glocks in the used section.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Bob, you are right!
Folks, I have 2 horton bows at the no haggling price of full retail plus 300.
Kidding, waiting for my LTC and just practicing for when I sell ammo and glocks in the used section.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Natchez has them at at 50% off retail on average right now to clear them out but at least they are stating no warranty with the sale. Midway was selling them and saying nothing and getting retail.

Reguarding Glocks your going to need a destructive device license to sell those grenades!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom