Craigslist

Keep in mind, I have nothing to do with this posting. "Nantucket Whitetail Deer Hunt". 7 days $500. For those who need a place to go this might be a good deal.

Keep in mind, I have nothing to do with this posting. "Nantucket Whitetail Deer Hunt". 7 days $500. For those who need a place to go this might be a good deal.

You can hunt in Nantucket for free. You simply need to find a place to stay.

I've hunted Nantucket. It is infested with deer. The deer runs are actually worn into the ground 6 inches deep. The drawbacks are, ticks, and oh my GOD is that stuff thick! The locals actually crash through the thick brush wearing leather jackets and helmets, banging on pots and pans. They drive the deer out the other side where other guys wait with buckshot. When I first arrived, I laughed my ass off, and the locals laughed at us for using slug guns. By the time I left, I was wishing I had a leather jacket and a couple frying pans.

10 guys and only 27 deer for the week?
LOL. They must only be hunting 1/2 days.

Im a local... we dont use pots and pans although a soda can with a little gravel in it makes lots of noise, or a plastic water bottle that you crinkle while pushing.
I find that a good pair of Grundens helps bust through the scrub which you sometimes dont walk through or under but is so thick you walk ON TOP of it.

Beating yourself up pushing doesnt neccesarily get you more deer here.. Find a good stand in a thick swamp, bring a thermos and a few snacks and you will see plenty of deer.
People think its like shooting fish in a barrel here but the deer are just as wild as anywhere else. They wise up after the first couple days and lay low like anywhere on the mainland.
There are plenty around though. I hunt a few posted private properties where after the first couple of days , it isnt unusual to see 15 deer in a day.
Doubles and triples are not unusual if you have a semi.

I have hunted on Nantucket. It is likely different from the hunting that you have done. If you are intended to still hunt or use a stand, chances are you will not be successful.

As cricco says, the scrub is unbelievably thick. Crawling through 100 yards of that stuff is exhausting. Most of the time in the scrub you can't see more than 10' in any direction. If a deer is bedded down in there, he heard you more than 100 yards away as you tripped, crawled, and cursed your way through the brush. He either high-tailed it out of there, or bedded down and laughed at you as you passed 15' away from him and never saw him.

The folks who are successful typically have large groups and do drives, with a couple shooters and a bunch of drivers. The drivers will sometimes wear full-face hockey helmets painted orange. One of the EPOs told me that the motto of one very successful group of hunters on Nantucket is "if you're not bleeding, you're not hunting."

Not to disagree but I got one tonight,still hunting , on Nantucket.
I dont know how much you have hunted here and granted, my experience is limited as Ive only been hunting here "full time" for going on thirty years .[wink]
Plenty of deer die here on island by both stand and still hunters.
Pushing for deer is a great way to hunt deer down here and in some areas it is the only way but to say stand hunting or still hunting will probably "not be successful" isnt true at all.
Ive shot a lot of deer l on stand, including two bucks last year within 1/2 an hour of each other on the second day of the season.
If someone wanted to come down here and not beat themselves up, there are plenty of places to go and take a stand and if you hunt on stand in a good thicket or swamp, you will see deer.

I have hunted on Nantucket. It is likely different from the hunting that you have done. If you are intended to still hunt or use a stand, chances are you will not be successful.

l group of hunters on Nantucket is "if you're not bleeding, you're not hunting."

As cricco says, the scrub is unbelievably thick. Crawling through 100 yards of that stuff is exhausting. Most of the time in the scrub you can't see more than 10' in any direction. If a deer is bedded down in there, he heard you more than 100 yards away as you tripped, crawled, and cursed your way through the brush. He either high-tailed it out of there, or bedded down and laughed at you as you passed 15' away from him and never saw him.

The folks who are successful typically have large groups and do drives, with a couple shooters and a bunch of drivers. The drivers will sometimes wear full-face hockey helmets painted orange. One of the EPOs told me that the motto of one very successful group of hunters on Nantucket is "if you're not bleeding, you're not hunting."

My friend Dave uses a hockey mask on the Island, he actually cut the right side of it out so he could get the gun up to his cheek. They drive Deer for the week and bring home a ton (almost literally) of venison.

Back
Top Bottom