Coyotes kill Canadian woman

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/091028/topstories/canada_novascotia_ns_coyote_attack_died

Wed Oct 28, 6:19 AM

ST..JOHNS (CBC) - A 19-year-old woman has died after being attacked by two coyotes in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.
ADVERTISEMENT

The RCMP confirm the woman died overnight at the QEII Health Sciences Centre in Halifax.

The woman was hiking on the Skyline Trail when she was attacked Tuesday afternoon. She was taken to the hospital in Cheticamp, then airlifted to Halifax in critical condition.

Park superintendent Helene Robichaud said the victim, believed to be from the Toronto area, was walking the trail alone.

She said other hikers managed to scare off the coyotes and call 911.

An RCMP officer shot at one of the animals, but couldn't find the body. Robichaud said park staff put down a coyote overnight and were looking for a second one.

"We're continuing our exercise on the trail," she told CBC News Wednesday morning.

Wildlife biologist Bob Bancroft said this kind of attack is extremely rare and he's never heard of such a serious case in Nova Scotia.

He said coyotes, which are normally up to 50 pounds, are usually very shy, though they can be bold.

"In situations like a national park [where] usually there's no hunting and no trapping allowed, they can get used to a human presence and not have much fear of any retribution," Bancroft told CBC News.

Robichaud said park workers are puzzled.

"It could be protecting a sick animal protecting a food source or something of that nature. But that's what we're trying to determine right now and we've been doing that since the start of this," she said.

It's unclear what happened in the woods on Tuesday.

Bancroft said coyotes team up to take down deer. He said it's possible the hiker didn't even realize what was happening.

"They may have snuck up on her and knocked her over before she even knew what happened," he said. "They may have been youngsters. They just may not have had a lot of experience or they may have just capitalized on a situation where a young person was acting vulnerable and very frightened by their presence."

He said there's a slight possibility that the animals had rabies.

Bancroft had his own run-in with a coyote several years ago when he was alone in the woods.

"A coyote came straight at me. It happened very, very quickly. It stopped and I just stood my ground, I didn't act," he said. "It actually regrouped and charged again. And I think the fact that I didn't act like a prey item convinced it to leave me alone."

Bancroft advises hikers to be alert and leave their iPods at home. He also suggests carrying a knife.

The Skyline Trail, one of the most popular trails in the park, has been closed and barricaded.

If they put up giant electrified fencing I doubt there will be any problems in the future.

she should have had a gun!

Pistol in NS ? Nope... Rifle ? well yes, if it has been registered and you have completed the proper licensing course to possess it. But then again, carrying it in a national park that is closed to hunting would get you in hot water as well...

I've been hunting up there for 30 years and have only heard coyotes in the woods, never seen them. It can be a bit unnerving walking out after dark and hearing a pack of them howling behind you....

The Coyotes here in western Mass I have been noticing seem to becoming more and more brazen. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more stories like this.

Actually the coyotes have been breeding with wolves lately.

Discovery News Sept. 22, 2009 -- New DNA evidence reveals that coyotes have bred with wolves in the the northeastern United States, turning mice-eating coyotes into much larger animals with a hunger for big prey, such as deer.

"They may have snuck up on her and knocked her over before she even knew what happened," he said. "They may have been youngsters. They just may not have had a lot of experience or they may have just capitalized on a situation where a young person was acting vulnerable and very frightened by their presence."

Does that mean they'll get time in reform school until they turn adult and then be let loose with clean criminal records?

Pistol in NS ? Nope... Rifle ? well yes, if it has been registered and you have completed the proper licensing course to possess it. But then again, carrying it in a national park that is closed to hunting would get you in hot water as well...

I've been hunting up there for 30 years and have only heard coyotes in the woods, never seen them. It can be a bit unnerving walking out after dark and hearing a pack of them howling behind you....

sorry don't know the laws up there, i have a hard enough time with the ones down here! [frown]

Back
Top Bottom