Coyote Hunting in Massachusetts - The Laws and Folly

"IF" that coyote is posing a threat to the children, Livestock or crops, Then MGL Chapter 131 section 37 applies. You "Shouldn't" have a problem with regards to your LTC. If you do choose to dispose of that critter, The three S's apply. Shoot, Shovel and SHUT UP. Mostly the shut up.

I don't see a carve out from the 150 feet from the road / 500 feet from an occupied dwelling in there? Could limit your ability to act under that section depending on where you are?

Anyone willing to weigh in on the .22LR rule in regards to .17WSM?

Or should I delete this and just act like it was never brought up? haha

They can use a .22LR just make it a head shot.

Not in that regard.

The law as it was written states "no larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire". Now since that is open to interpretation one could argue .17 caliber rimfire is smaller than .22 caliber rimfire.

What are they going to do, pull out a ruler and say look this ones longer than that one?

.17WSM

I think that you should read post number 33 as to his location. Also he is not taking about hunting, but about wildlife depredation.

i know he's not hunting but am not sure how the local PD would respond if let's say you shot a coyote threatening chickens 400 feet from a neighbor's house (without permission from neighbor). I think it's a gray area.

I spoke with someone from the Fish & Game department at the Boxborough Sportsman's show last winter. Then followed up with a call to the name they gave me (which escapes me now). The answer was the same - .17 HMR is considered 'larger' than .22 LR because the parent cartridge is the .22 magnum. I can agree with 'longer' but 'larger' is not the first description I would give the .17 HMR.

Based on these conversations, I would say the .17 Mach 2 is the only .17 you can use at night. To an early poster in this thread, I don't think I would use .357 magnum with the way the regs limit handguns to .38 caliber. Same reasonable Massachusetts logic applied. The 9mm might fly if you're approached by a warden. However, I'd say the .17 mach 2 & the 9 mm are marginal cartridges to use.

You need to read what the law actually says. There is no prohibition on hunting with a rifle larger .22LR in that state except for waterfowl, Turkey and Deer. Of Course you can not use a rifle to hunt squirrels east of the Eastern Worcester County line. The not greater than .22LR is for hunting at night for Raccoon and Opossum.

I would have to agree with you the 17WSM adds a new dimension, Further that round was not even constructed when that law was written.

I think that is for ANY night hunting.

That section in Chapter 131 that you refer to says, on the property of another.

Really? Good to know, thanks. Is that only kids and livestock, or does it also include pets?

Again you are referring to hunting at night with a handgun. Guess what, No where in that statute does it say 38 Special, only .38 in caliber. So .357 is smaller than .38.

I think you'd need a good lawyer and lax judge on this one.

Read the statute. From beginning to end, stopping to pause at the commas and periods and then let it sink in and read it again. This the only way to digest some of these laws.

Clear as mud. I see myself shooting the coyotes lurking around my chicken coop and then in a court room explaining my interpretation of MGL.

So, nothing has changed and another season is fast approaching. Who is ready to go hunting and what is your plan? I think for me, it is a toss up between my .221 XP-100 with a 10X Burris and my .308 model 700 varmint with a Burris 6-24X and 150 grain Barnes RRLP bullets. But not at night cause it is too dark...

I spoke with someone from the Fish & Game department at the Boxborough Sportsman's show last winter. Then followed up with a call to the name they gave me (which escapes me now). The answer was the same - .17 HMR is considered 'larger' than .22 LR because the parent cartridge is the .22 magnum. I can agree with 'longer' but 'larger' is not the first description I would give the .17 HMR.

Based on the parent cartridge huh? That's some b.s. So how does that fall in the case of the .17WSM where it isn't a wildcat and there is no parent cartridge? The list the bear regs pretty clear, by bullet diameter.

Not saying im going to run out and buy one, but the law is NOT clear at all and in my opinion leaves this open to interpretation. I'm sure in court they would nail you someway though.

I've been sticking with the shotgun for the past few years. .22LR is not enough for our coyotes.

Bumping this...

Anyone shooting 17wsm at night? Wondering if anyone has called the state regarding this round.

Physically yes it's larger but the rule doesn't read "longer than" it reads "chambered in larger than .22 caliber long rifle rimfire." Therefore any .17 caliber rimfire should constitute as "smaller than" a .22 caliber long rifle rimfire. We all know the intention is to restrict to .22LR only but it's really open to interpretation weather it be "rimfire then caliber" or "physical length" that makes the determination.

Someone else mentioned the parent case, which the 17wsm is exempt from since it isn't a necked down "firearm" case.

I don't care that much because i'm using muzzleloader at night, further range and more knockdown just interested to hear what people have to say.

I forget, is the .22LR at night thing a law, or a regulation? If so, where can it be found? If a law, then that is it. If a regulation, who controls that? Thank you.

I forget, is the .22LR at night thing a law, or a regulation? If so, where can it be found? If a law, then that is it. If a regulation, who controls that? Thank you.
It's a regulation.
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/laws-regulations/coyote-hunting-regulations.html

...restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle
The way I read that, it's talking about the size (volume) of the chamber. So I would say the 17HMR is a no-go in court.

Last edited:
This does make sense, so your're saying it's more focus on the chamber than the round itself....
Well, that's what I'm saying. Who knows what the blithering idiots who wrote the law were thinking. What really matters is how today's "authorities" choose to interpret what the idiots wrote.

What really matters is how today's "authorities" choose to interpret what the idiots wrote.

That's really the key part, depends who you're dealing with.

I've read elsewhere people have called Boston and they claimed 17HMR was legal? I've also read elsewhere people called and they said .17HMR was illegal.

Most of the ammo laws have to do with the Yote and Deer season overlap. So you can't carry a .338 during deer season and claim you're hunting yotes. Vice versa you can't use 00Buck off season and jack deer.

ETA: When both animals are open they make the ammo match for both. It kinda makes sense as you could shoot both without changing loads and there is no chance of someone shooting a deer with BB's

Last edited:
Well, that's what I'm saying. Who knows what the blithering idiots who wrote the law were thinking. What really matters is how today's "authorities" choose to interpret what the idiots wrote.

Is there any way of telling when this regulation went into the books, and who wrote it, and maybe even see the argument they made at the time for imposing it?

Perhaps it is time for a "hearing", to revisit this topic. At the very least, it should be amended to include all rimfire cartridges. Next step is to have it based on cartridge capacity and projectile size (eg: "no greater than .224 in caliber, no more than 33 grains of smokeless powder", etc.). This is short of stroking it out of the books entirely, which is what should be the initial proposal.

Is there any way of telling when this regulation went into the books, and who wrote it, and maybe even see the argument they made at the time for imposing it?

Perhaps it is time for a "hearing", to revisit this topic. At the very least, it should be amended to include all rimfire cartridges. Next step is to have it based on cartridge capacity and projectile size (eg: "no greater than .224 in caliber, no more than 33 grains of smokeless powder", etc.). This is short of stroking it out of the books entirely, which is what should be the initial proposal.

how about they just legalize lights for coyote at night and let me shoot whatever rifle round I want.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section67

"Section 67. A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year."

If the CHAMBER of a .22LR is larger than that of a 17WSM, I must not be looking at them correctly.

Last edited:
I'm reading this as concerning the compatibility of 22 Short in rifles chambered for 22LR and 22LR compatibility with rifles chambered for 22Mag.

Then there is the question of 204 Ruger, etc... The statute is anything but clear.

You quoted a regulation, calling it a statute.

Clear as mud.

;-)

I'm reading this as concerning the compatibility of 22 Short in rifles chambered for 22LR and 22LR compatibility with rifles chambered for 22Mag.

Then there is the question of 204 Ruger, etc... The statute is anything but clear.

If the round fully chambers into a rifle chambered for .22LR, it's exempt from the restriction. Simple. You might want to have a cleaning rod handy for the conclusion of that go/no-go test.

You could always use a muzzleloader, if you need something larger than .22LR?

So, if one can use a handgun to hunt coyotes at night as long as it meets the caliber restriction, I'm still not sure what the caliber restriction allows. Can one use a .380 auto, a 9mm, or a .357 Mag?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom