• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Coyote Hunting in Massachusetts - The Laws and Folly

As many gun owners and hunters in Massachusetts know, we are governed by gun and game laws which can defy any theory of logic contemplated by the great mathematicians or philosophers of Western History. As a coyote hunter here in the Bay State, I want to critically opine on the game laws currently regulating coyote hunting here in this very dark blue state.

I have four issues sticking deepest into my sense of reason. I queried Masswildlife about each affront to my most common of sense, and I will share with you their responses (written by a state furbearer biologist), along with my thoughts on each matter.

1) Why is there a published coyote season in Massachusetts?

Many states across America, have no closed hunting seasons on coyote, including Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, and Rhode Island (on private land). There’s no concern for maintenance of coyote populations, in fact, coyotes are now prominent members of this State’s suburban wildlife.

The response I received from Masswildlife provided, the coyote season coincides with “coyote pelt primeness (sic)”, when the pelts are most valuable. This makes no sense to me. Perhaps if we were talking about trapping, this reason would have validity. But this is hunting. I know of no hunters who pursue game for purpose of profit. Of course it would be nice to come home with a marketable pelt, or two; but that’s not why we’re out there.

My point here is, a published coyote season benefits no one but the usual cabal of anti-hunters who would start whining and crying the moment changing this stupid law was considered.

2) Except during the Deer Shotgun season, why is it illegal to hunt coyotes with a shotgun using shot larger than FF, (during the day)?

Considering, according to current law, one could legally take to the field in pursuit of coyote with a .338 Winchester Magnum, why is it not legal to shoot at a coyote (exclusive of Deer Shotgun) with ammo commonly used to kill deer? This law is particularly perplexing since the shotgun for deer mandate is due to the general population density of Massachusetts, and rifles for deer are considered unsafe.

Masswildlife’s response: this law is a matter of statute, and can be changed only by an act of the Legislature.

Translation: “We have no idea.”

Since the State’s response to my next two questions, is exactly the same as you've just read above, going forward, I will not repeat this pathetic answer.

3) Why is night hunting for coyote limited to rifles no larger than 22 LR, when this round is generally considered too small for clean, consistent kills?

For a clean, fast kill, a .22 bullet will require perfect placement, at night, at a judged range, and most likely, really fast. This is a wounded coyote looking for a place to bleed.

Someone tell me, what will a .338 Winchester Magnum do during the night, it won’t do during the day? If someone doesn’t like us hunters lighting off Grizzly Bear rounds, night or day, let us use slugs and buckshot.

Masswildlife Response: See Above

4) Why is it illegal to use artificial lights when hunting at night?

Again, we have a law probably written by someone who knows absolutely nothing about hunting, and perhaps had some twisted idea artificial lights gave hunters some kind of unfair advantage. Never mind the fact, the use of artificial lights will allow hunters to more easily and reliably identify their target, and
facilitate more precise aiming. With our .22’s , we need to use lights.

Maybe, when these laws were written, there was some sort of valid reasoning for them. As a lifelong resident of this Commonwealth, I’m thinking these laws were as stupid then, as they are now.

Back
Top Bottom