• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

court upholds Seattle's gun tax

"King County Superior Court upheld legislation allowing the City of Seattle to tax gun and ammunition sales, according to documents released on Tuesday.

Seattle City Council unanimously approved the "Gun and Violence Tax" in August; it charges $25 for every firearm legally sold in Seattle.

In addition to the 2 to 5 cents added to sales of certain types of ammunition, it would owners require reporting lost or stolen guns within 24 hours of their disappearance.

The City Budget Office estimates the gun violence tax will raise between $300,000 and $500,000 a year to be used for gun violence research and prevention programs."

Understand Washington state has forced registration no when selling a used gun plus sales tax. Now add to it $25 more plus state fees and dealer fees. Shall not be infringed means nothing to liberals.

Good! Fu(k'em! They can always move. Many of us did that when MA got to stupid!

The City Budget Office estimates the gun violence tax will raise between $300,000 and $500,000 a year to be used for gun violence research and prevention programs."

Yeah, I can see that happening! [rofl]

Last edited:
More like local shops will go out of business due to dismal sales, and businesses will move, due to local moonbatery.

I see them losing $300,000 to $500,000, not gaining it.

Then again, Seattle actually thinks 20,000 guns are sold there annually? They've been believing too much of their own BS stories.

I thought Washington State had a state preemption on firearm laws.

"RCW 9.41.290 State Preemption.
The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality.
[1994 sp.s. c 7 § 428; 1985 c 428 § 1; 1983 c 232 § 12.]"

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

Hopefully, they will appeal this ridiculous ruling.

Last edited:
Well this runs counter to Murdock V. Penn.
Page [319 U.S. 105, 113] reads... The privilege in question exists apart from state authority. It is guaranteed the people by the federal constitution. viz., The state cannot and does not have the power to license, nor tax, a Right guaranteed to the people.

There is also a tax of 2 or 5 cents per round of ammunition (lower rate for .22)

Massachusetts charges sales tax on guns and ammo....hmmmmm
That is a lost cause. Maine (and other states) charge a sales tax on newspapers, there are special Federal taxes on firearms and ammo, etc.

At 2¢ or 5¢ a round, maybe they expect a lot of ammo to be sold?

Another article states that are 22 FFLs in Seattle, however the vast majority of Seattle retail firearms sales go through just two dealers, Precise Shooters and Discount Guns, the same dealers who filed the lawsuit (and who expect to leave Seattle if the tax goes into effect). There are already 8 dealers just outside city limits ready to pick up the slack.

Dealers do not need to collect the tax when they process a private sale between two WA state residents.

Last edited:
[bs1]

They just keep taking and taking and taking.

It's easy to say, just move out if you don't like it. What happens when eventually there is NO PLACE to move to?
Loony leftist moonbat Seattle is way beyond help or saving... but then again, so are Boston and a lot of the loony liberal moonbat towns scattered all around Massachusetts. [thinking]

Normally I would comment about people fighting against this type of stuff, but I rather see this through and all the FFL dealers move out of the town.

Normally I would comment about people fighting against this type of stuff, but I rather see this through and all the FFL dealers move out of the town.

Like, JUST out of town. Let them sell the same guns to the same customers, but about 6" beyond the city limits. They aren't going to see any tax revenue increases from this.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/2...enge-from-gun-rights-groups.html?intcmp=hpbt3

"Guns now kill more people in the United States than automobiles,"

What! what a load of Krap.

Dean

I believe that there was another thread on this. The title of the article is pure propaganda. The rate of automobile fatalities has decreased and the the rate of firearm fatalities has remained about the same. The article makes it out to be that firearm-related deaths (which include suicides btw) have increased, which it hasn't.

- - - Updated - - -

More government taxing our rights. The criminal in the WH wants to tax the air we breath for fu(k's sake!

- - - Updated - - -

They will drive out businesses and change nothing.

Yup. Just another anti temper tantrum. In fact violent crime will likely continue to rise in Seattle and every other major city run by Dems, while violent crime will continue to drop nationally.

Back
Top Bottom