Court upholds police pointing gun at lawful carrier

Mods, please feel free to move this thread, but I didn't post it in Gun Laws b/c although it is a discussion of a recent legal decision, it really isn't a focused analysis of any particular NE law.

Anyhoo, down in N Georgia, this decision is generating a lot of discussion among members of the carry community. The author of the story is the president of Georgia's premier grassroots IIA organization and the outcome has some painful implications for us given a similar, stunning decision that came out of the 11th Circuit involving one of our members accosted by police while carrying. I fully expected to find a thread at NES with lots of postings on the matter from which I could learn some of the finer details of the arrest since it occurred to a LTC holder. To my surprise, there isn't one that was found by using the search feature, so let this post start the discussion. If I missed a previously established thread, accept my apologies for the dupe. BTW, the full text of the First Circuit's decision can be found by a link at the bottom of the Examiner story.

Moga

Court upholds police pointing gun at lawful carrier

It's open season on gun carriers.

A case out of the First Circuit has some painful lessons for gun carriers in Georgia. A United States Circuit Court of Appeals last week upheld the constitutionality of pointing a gun at any citizen daring to carry, lawfully, a concealed weapon in public.

The First Circuit Court of Appeals is the Court just below the United States Supreme Court in the New England states. The case stems from a lawyer who sued a police officer after he was detained for lawfully carrying a concealed weapon while in possession of a license to carry concealed. According to the case opinion, the lawyer, Greg Schubert, had a pistol concealed under his suit coat, and Mr. Schubert was walking in what the court described as a "high crime area." At some point a police officer, J.B. Stern, who lived up to his last name, caught a glimpse of the attorney's pistol, and he leapt out of his patrol car "in a dynamic and explosive manner" with his gun drawn, pointing it at the attorney's face.

Officer Stern "executed a pat-frisk," and Mr. Schubert produced his license to carry a concealed weapon. He was disarmed and ordered to stand in front of the patrol car in the hot sun. At some point, the officer locked him in the back seat of the police car and delivered a lecture. Officer Stern "partially Mirandized Schubert, mentioned the possibility of a criminal charge, and told Schubert that he (Stern) was the only person allowed to carry a weapon on his beat."

For most people, this would be enough to conclude that they were being harassed for the exercise of a constitutional right, but the officer went further, seizing the attorney's pistol and leaving with it. Officer Stern reasoned that because he could not confirm the "facially valid" license to carry, he would not permit the attorney to carry. Officer Stern drove away with the license and the firearm, leaving the attorney unarmed, dressed in a suit, and alone in what the officer himself argued was a high crime area.

The attorney sued in federal court, but the District Court threw out his suit, ruling that Officer Stern's behavior is the proper way to treat people who lawfully carry concealed pistols. Mr. Schubert appealed, and the First Circuit upheld the District Court's ruling. The court held that the stop was lawful and that Officer Stern "was permitted to take actions to ensure his own safety."

The court further held that the officer was entitled to confirm the validity of a "facially valid" license to carry a concealed weapon. The problem for Officer Stern was that there is no way to do so in Massachusetts, where this incident occurred. As a result, the court held that Officer Stern "sensibly opted to terminate the stop and release Schubert, but retain the weapon."

Georgia is not in the First Circuit, but this case holds some harsh lessons for Georgians who exercise their right to bear arms. Recall that in the MARTA case here in Georgia, the court held that the officer was entitled to take measures to protect himself, including disarming the person carrying, and entitled to investigate further for a half hour even after Mr. Raissi produced a Georgia firearms license. Although the officers in that case did not actually point a gun at Mr. Raissi's face, as Officer Stern did to attorney Schubert, it is a logical conclusion that the court would have upheld the constitutionality of them doing so. The vast majority of the cases MARTA cited in its briefs to the federal court included an officer pointing a gun at the person stopped. In addition, carrying a concealed weapon onto the MARTA system is a felony, and no court is going to hold that an officer violated any constitutional right by pointing a gun at an armed felon.

Furthermore, it must be recalled that Georgia, like Massachussetts and the vast majority of states, has no system to confirm the validity of a Georgia firearms license. The similarities between the MARTA federal opinion and the First Circuit opinion are startling, and the implications for Georgia are clear.

This First Circuit case is a logical extension of the MARTA case here in Georgia, and it shows what armed Georgians can expect if the General Assembly does not take action soon to correct the presumption of criminality that federal judge Thomas Thrash attached to the exercise of the right to bear arms.

Welcome to the new "right" to bear arms.

http://www.examiner.com/x-5619-Atla...pholds-police-pointing-gun-at-lawful-carriers

Ugh.

The cynic in me is awaiting the case where an undercover cop does not announce his presence, pulls a gun on a lawfull carrier, the carrier draws his (fearing for his life) and a shootout ensues.

A read of the decision shows this happened in Springfield, MA. It was a federal issue and the plaintiff did not appear to raise Commonwealth v. Couture.

If the cop saw it from his car it doesn't sound like the gun was very well concealed, I would expect a cop in a hot neighborhood to be a little less forgiving. I'm not saying he did not get carried away but if the perp had a truly hidden weapon it would be a non issue.

I did not see where this occurred. Was this a Georgia article about a Massachusetts thing and its implications on Georgia? If so, what town in MA, and when? This was kind of confusing.

OK, I just read Rob's reply above, which said Springfield. No mention of when.

"He (Stern) was the only person allowed to carry a weapon on his beat."

WTF is that? This cop is making up his own laws? Someone like that is dangerous.

If the cop saw it from his car it doesn't sound like the gun was very well concealed, I would expect a cop in a hot neighborhood to be a little less forgiving. I'm not saying he did not get carried away but if the perp had a truly hidden weapon it would be a non issue.

That isn't the case, his weapon, that he had a valid license for, was seized because officer Tackleberry didn't want anyone but him carrying on his beat.

The man's rights were trampled all over.

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. Gestapo is the only word that comes to mind.

From the facts noted in the article, it sounds that the officer behaved oddly. With that said, and 2nd ammendment aside, please realize that MOST rational police officers, at least the ones I've met in 10 years on the job, rightfully WELCOME law abiding citizens to carry their firearms. Afterall, for the most part, licensed, legal gun owners are not the ones committing crimes, and putting officers and the public at risk. The few morons that think noone should be carrying guns, are irrational at best.

I'll get off my soapbox now, thanks [smile]

I did not see where this occurred. Was this a Georgia article about a Massachusetts thing and its implications on Georgia? If so, what town in MA, and when? This was kind of confusing.

OK, I just read Rob's reply above, which said Springfield. No mention of when.

July 21st, 2006

Thank you for posting this.

As a result, the court held that Officer Stern "sensibly opted to terminate the stop and release Schubert, but retain the weapon."

This is particularly disturbing. If the officer felt that he had sufficient right to retain the weapon (thinking that it might be an illegally-carried weapon and that Schubert was carrying illegally, thereby committing a crime) then why did he not arrest Schubert?

Absent any indication that this was the case, it sounds more like intimidation than anything else.

That isn't the case, his weapon, that he had a valid license for, was seized because officer Tackleberry didn't want anyone but him carrying on his beat.

The man's rights were trampled all over.

"At some point a police officer, J.B. Stern, who lived up to his last name, caught a glimpse of the attorney's pistol, and he leapt out of his patrol car."

I just thought if officer asshat did not see said gun nothing would have happened. That being said I don't agree that was a proper way of treating the man after he identified himself.

Last edited:
From the facts noted in the article, it sounds that the officer behaved oddly. With that said, and 2nd ammendment aside, please realize that MOST rational police officers, at least the ones I've met in 10 years on the job, rightfully WELCOME law abiding citizens to carry their firearms. Afterall, for the most part, licensed, legal gun owners are not the ones committing crimes, and putting officers and the public at risk. The few morons that think noone should be carrying guns, are irrational at best.

I'll get off my soapbox now, thanks [smile]

I agree. However, I hope this guy isn't a LEO anymore. This guy should be stripped of his job, pension, and thrown out into the cold. When someone starts making up their own laws due to their personal beliefs, it is VERY dangerous. Does this guy think he is Judge Dread or something?

For me, the most disturbing facet of the entire case is not the behavior of the officer, as reprehensible as that is, but the activist nature of the 1st Circuit which led them to uphold the lower courts decision...Absolutely surreal that any custodian of the law could rule against the appellant given the facts of the interaction.

For me, the most disturbing facet of the entire case is not the behavior of the officer, as reprehensible as that is, but the activist nature of the 1st Circuit which led them to uphold the lower courts decision...Absolutely surreal that any custodian of the law could rule against the appellant given the facts of the interaction.

But... but... it involved guns. And guns are bad. They kill puppies and kittens and drink the blood of small children when you aren't looking!

"At some point a police officer, J.B. Stern, who lived up to his last name, caught a glimpse of the attorney's pistol, and he leapt out of his patrol car."

I just thought if officer asshat did not see said gun nothing would have happened. That being said I don't agree that was a proper way of treating the man after he identified himself.

I agree, but upon seeing said weapon all he had to do was ask to see his license and send him on his way, this cop made up law whole clothe.

I can see your point of view, but some times things happen, even when ccw, just some one catching a glimpse of a ccw doesn't mean he broke the law.

BTW, in case any one is confused, MARTA is the Atlanta equivalent of MBTA. Just like the T, MARTA has a police force of uniformed officers which are POST certified and have full arrest powers on MARTA property.

This is from the court document (bold added by myself):
When asked if he had a weapon, Schubert
responded that he did and that he had a license to carry. While
still pointing his gun at Schubert, Stern reached inside Schubert's
jacket and removed the weapon from its holster. Stern then walked
backward toward his cruiser, set his gun down, and removed the clip
and chambered round from Schubert's gun. Schubert replied in the
negative when Stern asked if he was carrying any other weapons.
Stern then frisked Schubert and asked him for his license to carry.
Schubert produced his "Class A" gun license, which also indicated
that Schubert was an attorney.
He also handed over his driver's
license.

My LTC doesn't indicate my profession. Anyone have a clue what that's about?

I think that the lawsuit was ill directed.

Here's what I would have sued for:

Illegal taking of the weapon and license, to wit.... theft of said items.

Tackleberry had no right to TAKE those items from the citizen, and drive off with them. Citizen had the RIGHT to possess (carefully chosen word, possess) both the license and the gun.

Didn't OJ Simpson just get put into prison for TAKING stuff in a similar way?

Rather than fight about being detained in the hot sun, the lawsuit should have involved the illegal taking of the gun and license.

I am very sure of this: After Tackleberry took the gun and license, and drove off with them..... had the citizen been assaulted in that high crime neighborhood, the outcome of this case would have been much, much different! And, had the citizen been killed after being disarmed, there would have been riots in the streets.

I want to know IF citizen got his gun and license back.

As long as the officer went home safe, nothing to see here, rare incident

- Halfcocked

I believe that this has implications for any case that comes to the 1st Court of Appeal involving lawful carriers being threatened with deadly force and having their property unlawfully seized for legally exercising their 2A rights. The First has just sanctioned LEAs in their jurisdiction to treat lawful, peaceable citizens worse than criminals...more like subjects of a tyrannical king. I'd say that fact warrants a lot of implications to be seen and digested before moving along. YMMV.

Thank you for posting this.

This is particularly disturbing. If the officer felt that he had sufficient right to retain the weapon (thinking that it might be an illegally-carried weapon and that Schubert was carrying illegally, thereby committing a crime) then why did he not arrest Schubert?

Absent any indication that this was the case, it sounds more like intimidation than anything else.

Yes, it is disturbing. I can understand (to a degree) the officer detaining Schubert while he attempted to verify the license. (I'm not agreeing with it, just saying I understand it.) However, at some point, Schubert was released from the cruiser, and the officer left.

Officer Stern drove away with the license and the firearm, leaving the attorney unarmed, dressed in a suit, and alone in what the officer himself argued was a high crime area.

At that point I would assume that the officer didn't have sufficient cause to further detain or arrest Mr. Schubert, so he correctly released him, but he kept his property? That sounds very similar to some of the actions by police in the wake of hurricane Katrina. It does sound more like intimidation than law enforcement.

As far as determining the legitimacy of Schubert's license, let's turn the tables a little. Suppose Schubert had refused to comply with the officer, stating that he couldn't immediately verify whether the officer's badge and uniform were "authentic?" Would the court have held that a citizen was justified in ignoring the officer until it was proved that the officer was legit? I know it sounds like an absurd position to take, but think about it. The fact is that Schubert had an apparently valid license, just as the officer appeared to apparently be a legitimate LEO.

We seem to be reaching the next level of problems with licensing. It's no longer enough to be legally licensed, you now have to prove that your license is valid. Doesn't sound to me like government is treating the bearing of arms as a basic right; it sounds like they're still treating it as a privilege.

Perhaps the real problem is requiring a license at all? [wink]

Illegal taking of the weapon and license, to wit.... theft of said items.

He did also sue for conversion, however the federal court dismissed all of the state tort claims (without prejudice) following the dismissal of the 1983 and 4th amendment claims.

and the plaintiff did not appear to raise Commonwealth v. Couture.

Nor Com. v. Toole. However, those cases stated the officers had no probable cause, where as here a Terry stop only requires reasonable suspicion. Still, as suggested, both cases from the SJC tend to support Schubert. But see Commonwealth v. DePeiza, holding that:

Although the question is a close one, we conclude that by the time the officers announced the patfrisk, they reasonably suspected that the defendant was committing the crime of carrying an illegal firearm, and the stop was therefore justified. This conclusion follows from the combination of the many factors found by the motion judge. The police encountered the defendant shortly after midnight in a high crime neighborhood with increasing incidences of firearm violence. He was walking with his right arm held stiff and straight against his body, which, based on the officers' training at the police academy, suggested he was carrying a concealed firearm. While speaking with the officers the defendant appeared nervous, looking from left to right and shifting his feet, as if ready to run. Finally, and most significantly, throughout the encounter the defendant repeatedly hid his right side from the officers' view, and when the officers *372 finally glimpsed that side they noticed that his right jacket pocket appeared to hold a heavy object.

It appears MA courts would have ruled the same way.

Last edited by a moderator:
The confiscation law that GOAL proposed last year that got shot down...that would have covered this perhaps? Anyway, pot, boiling water, frog.....*ribbit*

On second thought, the 4th amendment would have covered this. I miss that thing.

Sounds like this particular "officer" had lots of Pride, Integrity, and Guts.

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Clever.

...The case stems from a lawyer who sued a police officer after he was detained for lawfully carrying a concealed weapon while in possession of a license to carry concealed. ...

Officer Stern "executed a pat-frisk," and Mr. Schubert produced his license to carry a concealed weapon. .... At some point, the officer locked him in the back seat of the police car and delivered a lecture. Officer Stern "partially Mirandized Schubert, mentioned the possibility of a criminal charge, and told Schubert that he (Stern) was the only person allowed to carry a weapon on his beat."

... seizing the attorney's pistol and leaving with it. Officer Stern reasoned that because he could not confirm the "facially valid" license to carry, he would not permit the attorney to carry. Officer Stern drove away with the license and the firearm, ...

The attorney sued in federal court, but the District Court threw out his suit, ruling that Officer Stern's behavior is the proper way to treat people who lawfully carry concealed pistols. Mr. Schubert appealed, and the First Circuit upheld the District Court's ruling. The court held that the stop was lawful and that Officer Stern "was permitted to take actions to ensure his own safety."

The court further held that the officer was entitled to confirm the validity of a "facially valid" license to carry a concealed weapon. The problem for Officer Stern was that there is no way to do so in Massachusetts, where this incident occurred. As a result, the court held that Officer Stern "sensibly opted to terminate the stop and release Schubert, but retain the weapon."

This is almost incredulous. Unbelievable!

No kidding.

...Illegal taking of the weapon and license, to wit.... theft of said items.

Tackleberry had no right to TAKE those items from the citizen, and drive off with them. Citizen had the RIGHT to possess (carefully chosen word, possess) both the license and the gun.

Didn't OJ Simpson just get put into prison for TAKING stuff in a similar way?...

I want to know IF citizen got his gun and license back.

Good points, and good question.

The confiscation law that GOAL proposed last year that got shot down...that would have covered this perhaps? Anyway, pot, boiling water, frog.....*ribbit*

On second thought, the 4th amendment would have covered this. I miss that thing.

Good point on the 4th. Whatever happened with the Katrina legislation? I thought it was changed and resubmitted.

Back
Top Bottom