• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Couple of questions on the new AWB

I downloaded Bill 1160 and am reading through it and have a couple of questions.
The version I have has the [] brackets around some sections and underlines around obviously new sections.

After the long list of named firearms line 1225 starts the generic definition of an AW.
1225 [(A)] (i) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least [two] one of the following:
I read this as meaning firearms like the Sig 522 (.22 cal rimfire) are no longer going to be considered AWs.

1257 [(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or]
Is this line from the old law and the [] brackets mean it’s being removed? Someone at work was saying that an M14 will be banned now because there is a full auto version and I think they where referring to this.

Trying to keep the FUD to a minimum

Here you go: AN ACT CONCERNING GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION AND CHILDREN'S SAFETY.

"§§ 25-31 — ASSAULT WEAPONS
Definitions
Current law defines an “assault weapon” as 1. any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic, or burst fire at the user's option; 2. any of a list of named semiautomatic firearms; 3. any unlisted semi-automatic rifle or pistol that can accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of five specified features; 4. any semi-automatic shotgun that has at least two of four specified features; or 5. a part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon if the parts may be rapidly assembled and are in the possession or under the control of the same person (see BACKGROUND for certain exemptions).

Rifles. The bill expands the banned weapons to include the following semiautomatic centerfire rifles, or copies or duplicates with the capability of any such rifles, that were in production before or on the effective date of the bill: AK 47; AK 74, AKM, AKS-74U, ARM, MAADI AK 47, MAK90, MISR, NHM90, NHM91, Norinco 56, 56S, 84S and 86S, Poly Technologies AKS and AK47, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR, WASR-10, WUM, Rock River Arms LAR-47 and Vector Arms AK-47; AR-10; AR-15; Bushmaster Carbon 15, Bushmaster XM15, Bushmaster ACR Rifles, Bushmaster MOE Rifles; Colt Match Target Rifles; Armalite M15; Olympic Arms AR-15, A1, CAR, PCR, K3B, K30R, K16, K48, K8 and K9 Rifles; DPMS Tactical Rifles; Smith and Wesson M&P15 Rifles; Rock River Arms LAR-15; Doublestar AR Rifles; Barrett REC7; Beretta Storm; Calico Liberty 50, 50 Tactical, 100, 100 Tactical, I, I Tactical, II and II Tactical Rifles; Hi-Point Carbine Rifles; HK-PSG-1; Kel-Tec Sub-2000, SU Rifles, and RFB; Remington Tactical Rifle Model 7615; SAR-8, SAR-4800 and SR9; SLG 95; SLR 95 or 96; TNW M230 and M2HB; Vector Arms UZI, Galil and Galil Sporter; Daewoo AR 100 and AR 110C; Fabrique Nationale/FN 308 Match and L1A1 Sporter; HK USC; IZHMASH Saiga AK; SIG Sauer 551-A1, 556, 516, 716 and M400 Rifles; Valmet M62S, M71S and M78S; Wilkinson Arms Linda Carbine; and Barrett M107A1. "

The bill also bans any semiautomatic, centerfire rifle, regardless of the date produced, that can accept a detachable magazine that has at least one of the following features
:
1. a folding or telescoping stock; 2. any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, thumbhole stock, or other stock that would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing; 3. a forward pistol grip; 4. a flash suppressor; or 5. a grenade launcher or flare launcher.
"

Reading this, the Sig 522, as well as my Umarex MP5SD-22, are not banned by name, but do fall under the PREVIOUS bans feature limit as it was only expanded upon, not actually removed.

I love how they re-defined the term "assualt" from anything that goes bang bang bang to bang, bang, bang now (see what I did there with the commas [wink].

I have been reviewing the law as well. I believe the new law mirrors California's AWB in some ways, which does not ban 22LR AR style rifles. The previous law has been superseded. The "expanded" language refers to the firearms banned by name/list, not to all previously banned firearms.

So a dedicated 22LR AR should now be legal, even if it has more than two "banned" features, such as a S&W MP15-22 with a collapsable stock and flash suppressor. I believe a 22LR upper on a "banned" lower would still be banned, though, as it is lower that is serialized.

I also think that grandfathered ARs are now pretty limited as to hunting as they can only be used on your own land, land that the owners gives you specific permission, and at ranges. This is too bad and very frustrating.

I am still waiting to see how the law is finally published.

"The bill also bans any semiautomatic, centerfire rifle, regardless of the date produced, that can accept a detachable magazine that has at least one of the following features: "

Wait... What?

"The bill also bans any semiautomatic, centerfire rifle, regardless of the date produced, that can accept a detachable magazine that has at least one of the following features: "

Wait... What?

Yep, no more such thing as "preban."

1257 [(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or]
Is this line from the old law and the [] brackets mean it’s being removed? Someone at work was saying that an M14 will be banned now because there is a full auto version and I think they where referring to this.

That portion of the law deals with pistols and is one of the "evil" features allowed to us by our overlords.

[(B)] (iv)A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least [two] one of the following:
[(i)] (I)An ability to accept a detachable ammunition magazine that attaches [to the pistol] at some location outside of the pistol grip;
[(ii)] (II)A threaded barrel capable of accepting a [barrel extender,] flash suppressor, forward [handgrip] pistol grip or silencer;
[(iii)] (III)A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to [hold] fire the firearm [with the nontrigger hand] without being burned, [;] except a slide that encloses the barrel; or
[(iv)A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and]
(IV) A second hand grip; or
(v) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the ability to accept more than ten rounds;
[(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or]

The bracketed part means that portion has been superceded by the new bill.

AN ACT CONCERNING GUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION AND CHILDREN'S SAFETY.

If you look at the link, you will find portions of the law that are in red and blue. The blue is the new added stuff, the red is superseded, the black stays the same. Looking at the link you'll see that full auto copy crap was been deleted.

As I've said before, this bill is not "solveable" like the CA ban. There are no work arounds. All center fire ARs are banned unless you owned one before Thursday.

There's a reason we're uprooting our family and moving to NH immediately.

But then what about this a few lines down in the same law?

"Legal Possession. Under the bill, anyone who legally possessed one of the newly banned weapons on the day before the bill's effective date and who is eligible for a certificate of possession may continue to do so by applying to DESPP for this certificate by January 1, 2014 and otherwise complying with the bill. A member of the U. S. Military or Navy who is unable to apply by January 1, 2014 because he or she is out of state on official duty has 90 days after returning to Connecticut to apply for a certificate. The certificate must contain a description of the firearm that identifies it uniquely, including all identification marks; the owner's full name, address, date of birth and thumbprint; and any other information DESPP deems appropriate. "

- - - Updated - - -

Unless "Otherwise complying with the bill" means neutering your rifle?

But then what about this a few lines down in the same law?

- - - Updated - - -

Unless "Otherwise complying with the bill" means neutering your rifle?

The part about date not mattering is solely meant to apply to banning transfers. You may not transfer any AW in CT ever again unless it is to a dealer or you're surrendering it to the police. Managers of estates may take possession of registered AWs upon death of the owners, but there's no clear path for inheritance that I see.

The registration of existing owned rifles is how they got around outright confiscation.

So a dedicated 22LR AR should now be legal, even if it has more than two "banned" features, such as a S&W MP15-22 with a collapsable stock and flash suppressor. I believe a 22LR upper on a "banned" lower would still be banned, though, as it is lower that is serialized./QUOTE]

Not a good example. Technically, the M&P15-22 is now banned by name: Smith and Wesson M&P15 Series.

You can still sell a lower.

You just can't build it up into an AR type rifle.

A lower that is sold without a caliber designation could be built into a .22 and be legal.
It could also be built into a single shot .50 bolt gun and be legal.

Remember, a bare lower is not an AR15. It is not a copy or duplicate, because there is no action attached to duplicate.

Per the law, a new lower without any caliber markings or previous transfers with associated calibers should be legal to buy and sell on the presumption that it will be built into a compliant firearm, not an AW.

So a dedicated 22LR AR should now be legal, even if it has more than two "banned" features, such as a S&W MP15-22 with a collapsable stock and flash suppressor. I believe a 22LR upper on a "banned" lower would still be banned, though, as it is lower that is serialized./QUOTE]

Not a good example. Technically, the M&P15-22 is now banned by name: Smith and Wesson M&P15 Series.

The M&P15-22 is not a center fire rifle right? The ban states center fire's.....

It being 22LR does not exempt it from being banned by name. It's a no go.

The semiautomatic centerfire feature banning is separate from the named list.

They are different parts of the bill, not interconnected. The entire MP15 family is banned, this include the 15-22

Its not a no go. A .22 rifle built on an Aeroprecision lower, with the model X15 is not named and since its a .22, its not affected.

This has been the crux of my argument that AR style lowers can STILL be sold in CT. It is however up to the buyer to build it into a compliant firearm and not an AW from this point forward. Semi-auto .22s and bolt action guns come immediately to mind since there are now a handful of bolt action uppers for the AR style lower.

Re the M&P 15-22 being banned. This was not the legislative intent here. The intent was clearly to ban all centerfire variants of the M&P 15.
The M&P15-22 is grey at worst.

Don

p_100005532_1.jpg

Last edited:
Its not a no go. A .22 rifle built on an Aeroprecision lower, with the model X15 is not named and since its a .22, its not affected.

This has been the crux of my argument that AR style lowers can STILL be sold in CT. It is however up to the buyer to build it into a compliant firearm and not an AW from this point forward. Semi-auto .22s and bolt action guns come immediately to mind since there are now a handful of bolt action uppers for the AR style lower.

Re the M&P 15-22 being banned. This was not the legislative intent here. The intent was clearly to ban all centerfire variants of the M&P 15.
The M&P15-22 is grey at worst.

Don

That may not have been the intent, but they did state M&P15 Series, which would include the M&P15-22. Things such as the Umarex HK416-22 would not be banned in this case.

Thanks all,Interesting range of replies.I think the only bone they threw us was letting us have toy .22's.Just moved here from NH, not regretting it, but would not have happened if this law was in place then.Let the FUD continue...

Yep, no more such thing as "preban."

That portion of the law deals with pistols and is one of the "evil" features allowed to us by our overlords.

[(B)] (iv)A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least [two] one of the following:
[(i)] (I)An ability to accept a detachable ammunition magazine that attaches [to the pistol] at some location outside of the pistol grip;
[(ii)] (II)A threaded barrel capable of accepting a [barrel extender,] flash suppressor, forward [handgrip] pistol grip or silencer;
[(iii)] (III)A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to [hold] fire the firearm [with the nontrigger hand] without being burned, [;] except a slide that encloses the barrel; or
[(iv)A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and]
(IV) A second hand grip; or
(v) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the ability to accept more than ten rounds;
[(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or]

The bracketed part means that portion has been superceded by the new bill.

So are you saying that the M14/M1A's would still be legal under this new law?

Assuming you live in CT. So what if you are 80% there on a new AR build? What do you do? (well, I know what I would do) but what do you do to "comply"

And if you knew this was coming a week ago would you file the FA-10 on the build and you would be ok?

Assuming you live in CT. So what if you are 80% there on a new AR build? What do you do? (well, I know what I would do) but what do you do to "comply"

And if you knew this was coming a week ago would you file the FA-10 on the build and you would be ok?

CT doesn't have FA10s. Before now if you owned a rifle no one knew about it.

Barrel shrouds only apply to pistols. The only M1A you could have now would be the CA compliant version which has a compensator instead of a flash hider.

Not even. It still has a threaded barrel which is the one feature plus detachable mag. As I read it, banned.

Unless we're still allowed to permanently attach a compensator as a work around, but I'm not sure yet.

That is correct. A "permanently affixed" anything over the threads other than a flash hider is legal.

The other thing to remember is that on a rifle a handguard is an evil feature and on a pistol a barrel shroud is an evil feature. They are the same thing.

Don

Back
Top Bottom