• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New CT 'Assault Weapons' registration now open....

So I guess I've been living under a rock this last year and just heard about this law last week. I signed up on the website but when I go to the assault weapon certification mine already say approved and there is no "new certification application" box for my AW. All my other guns have that box which are not "assault weapons". Does this mean I don't need to do anything else?

So I guess I've been living under a rock this last year and just heard about this law last week. I signed up on the website but when I go to the assault weapon certification mine already say approved and there is no "new certification application" box for my AW. All my other guns have that box which are not "assault weapons". Does this mean I don't need to do anything else?
Did you previously registered the firearm as an assault weapon (for example back in 2013 or because you SBR'd it in the past)? If so, you do not need to re-register it as an assault weapon a second time.

Generally if you previously registered a firearm as an assault weapon the web portal registered firearms page should indicate the firearm Status field as "Approved", the Certificate Number field should have a certificate number, and the Issue Date field should have a date.

Did you previously registered the firearm as an assault weapon (for example back in 2013 or because you SBR'd it in the past)? If so, you do not need to re-register it as an assault weapon a second time.

Generally if you previously registered a firearm as an assault weapon the web portal registered firearms page should indicate the firearm Status field as "Approved", the Certificate Number field should have a certificate number, and the Issue Date field should have a date.

Ya, I did back in 2013/2014 when they had that new law and a bunch of 30 rd mags. I do see an approved with a certificate number and issue date so looks like I'm all set at least for this new law. Thanks

Ya, I did back in 2013/2014 when they had that new law and a bunch of 30 rd mags. I do see an approved with a certificate number and issue date so looks like I'm all set at least for this new law. Thanks
Then you're already set, yeah. This is mainly for those who had, say, 'other' versions of these guns or pre-bans that previously didn't need to be registered until this new round of tyranny.

You are fine then. If anyone is interested or still worried about this particular issue/question, here is the language indicating already registered AW's (certificate of possession) do not have to be registered again.

Sec. 53-202d. Certificate of possession of assault weapon. Certificate of transfer of assault weapon to gun dealer. Circumstances where possession of assault weapon authorized.
(a)(3) Any person who obtained a certificate of possession for an assault weapon, as defined in subparagraph (A) of subdivision (1) of section 53-202a, prior to April 5, 2013, that is defined as an assault weapon pursuant to any provision of subparagraphs (B) to (F), inclusive, of subdivision (1) of section 53-202a shall be deemed to have obtained a certificate of possession for such assault weapon for the purposes of sections 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and shall not be required to obtain a subsequent certificate of possession for such assault weapon.
(5) Any person who obtained a certificate of possession for an assault weapon, as defined in any provision of subparagraphs (A) to (F), inclusive, of subdivision (1) of section 53-202a prior to June 6, 2023, that is also a 2023 assault weapon shall be deemed to have obtained a certificate of possession for such assault weapon for the purposes of sections 53-202a to 53-202k, inclusive, and shall not be required to obtain a subsequent certificate of possession for such assault weapon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom