Counting loaded rds

PatMcD

NES Member
Is there any kind of "counter" for when you are loading rds on a press?
For instance: I want to load only enough to fill a 50rd box. I'm half a retard with a short attention span, so I'll always lose count in my head. I want a mechanical, re-settable rig to add to my 550 that will tell me how many I've loaded.

Dillon makes one for the 550.
Edit: Looks like they don't sell them any more. If you google "dillon round counter" there are a couple of threads on the Brian Enos site where guys made their own with some redneck engineering.

Last edited:
About once a month I come within a few clicks of ordering the Brian Enos RL 550B "NR - Top Notch" package.

So you have both ADD and OCD??

JimB posted one solid method. Another is to get one of the holders for ammo (once run through the press) and just place a round in it as they come off the press. You can also get boxes, that are divided, that hold 50 rounds that you can fill as they come off the press.

If you have enough spare case to get the item from Enos, then do that.
Or rig one up yourself. If you're just looking to count handle actions, that should be easy. If you want to count each round that falls into the catch box, then that could be a bit more involved. Be creative, make something up, and you might be able to sell it. Sounds like a good reason for a 3D printer. [smile]

How you load up a bunch, then anything over 50, you put in a box and send to me. Or, I can come over to pick them up. I will be more than happy to take your excess rounds.

I've used tons of these on metal stamping machines for years. Cheap, easy, and accurate. There are even some models out there with two sets of counting wheels that are great for running both batch counts and totalizing all with a single counter.

Are you in the stamping business?

Are you in the stamping business?

Used to be .......

Owned a manufacturing company but sold it about 4 years ago. We had about 50 presses ranging from tabletops to 200 ton and stamped materials from .027" up to 1/2".

If I close my eyes, I can still hear the banging!

Me too. For the last 30+ years I've worked for a company that makes controls and light curtains for stamping presses. I've spent a lot of time in pressrooms.

Use this: Amico 5 Digit Num Hand Tally Mechanical Counter Arithmometer - Amazon.com

Rig up a spring from the lever on the counter to the linkage or shellplate on your machine.

This is probably the route I'll go. I was thinking it might be activated somehow with the downstroke of the press arm. When I rig it up, I'll post photos.

50 was just an arbitrary number I picked. It could be just 10 at a certain powder weight to work up a load. Counting primers or cases before I load kind of defeats the lazy purpose of my initial inquiry.
I load .223 on a 550. The cases drop out into a bin. I don't hand pick them off and put them in a box.

50 was just an arbitrary number I picked. It could be just 10 at a certain powder weight to work up a load. Counting primers or cases before I load kind of defeats the lazy purpose of my initial inquiry.

I thought I was the only slacker willing to spend $ and hours to save a few moments of thought. Not only that, but you have set the bar high for me. I have bought devices to avoid tying knots, and spent many hours trying to figure out how to change targets without walking down range. But, I never would have thought to out that much work into avoiding counting to 50.

My hat is off to you, sir!

Tralgar

I thought I was the only slacker willing to spend $ and hours to save a few moments of thought. Not only that, but you have set the bar high for me. I have bought devices to avoid tying knots, and spent many hours trying to figure out how to change targets without walking down range. But, I never would have thought to out that much work into avoiding counting to 50.

My hat is off to you, sir!

Tralgar

Should my feelings be hurt?

This is probably the route I'll go. I was thinking it might be activated somehow with the downstroke of the press arm. When I rig it up, I'll post photos.

I'll be interested to see how you hook it up. I bought one a while back for exactly the same purpose but never got around to installing it. Maybe it'll bubble back up to the top of the project list after I see how you did it (assuming I remember where I put it).

I'll be interested to see how you hook it up. I bought one a while back for exactly the same purpose but never got around to installing it. Maybe it'll bubble back up to the top of the project list after I see how you did it (assuming I remember where I put it).

However you work it in there, I'd suggest you incorporate a spring in the trip line allowing for a solid trip and some over travel for the spring to soak up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I hooked up a counter to my 1050 but soon realized it wasn't worth the effort. I always load in lots of 100 or more.

Back
Top Bottom