• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cougar vs. Mountainbikers (WA)

1 bicyclist dead, 1 hurt in cougar attack near Snoqualmie

Aint that something:

"“He jumped the first victim and attacked him,” said Abbott. “The second victim turned and started to run away. The cougar saw that and went after the second victim. The first victim saw his friend being pulled by the cougar. He got on his bike and started to bike away.”"
Wow great friends. But sounds like they deserved each other. You have a bike to throw at it for crying out loud.

I've sorted wondered how to carry on my bike.
I tend to fall off from time to time, sometimes in a sort of "messy" way.
In the pack is better than at home, but still isn't all that available when that pesky mountain lion is spilling your guts all over the trail.

Maybe carrying in the back pocket of one of those cyclist shirts would’ve been prudent. But then again, he could’ve been anti-gun for all we know.

No witnesses eh mr puma?
quote-three-can-keep-a-secret-if-two-of-them-are-dead-benjamin-franklin-65443.jpg

I've sorted wondered how to carry on my bike.

Not allowed on DEEP property in Connecticut, as well as most municipal properties by ordinance. [thinking]

I carry bear spray.

I rode Jungle Habitat last year, and had to leave that home as even THAT isn't allowed in New Jersey. [thinking][thinking]

I thought Ford killed off Mercury a few years back.

But seriously... I didn't watch the vid but something tells me those guys just left a Starbucks and have man buns under their helmets. Not that story above, but I came across a vid earlier today. Not sure of the content.

Last edited:
Not allowed on DEEP property in Connecticut, as well as most municipal properties by ordinance. [thinking]

I carry bear spray.

I rode Jungle Habitat last year, and had to leave that home as even THAT isn't allowed in New Jersey. [thinking][thinking]

well, they sure showed law enforcement and law makers.....wouldn't make a lot of sense convicting someone after they are dead. But hey, they obeyed the law. Good for them....

Just saw Shep's report, and now we know the rest of the story. Road bikes. Not Mtn bikes - road bikes. Almost assured no firepower in their purses, or the will to use it.

When I talked to my friends about the incident, someone brought up the point that had the two guys stuck together and used their bikes as shields, they might have been able to cover their vital areas and frustrate the cougar's effort.

There is no way on Gods green earth that I would be biking in cougar country without a .357 cal sidearm.....laws be damned to hell.
When you are in a place where you ARE NOT THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN, you take all the necessary precautions. No law making bureaucrat or law enforcing badged thug is going to force me to jeopardize my existence in the wild. Just not happening.....EVER!!

Not the brightest bulbs, those two. Attempting to run away from a mountain lion is almost guaranteed to trigger it into an attack. You might be able to bluff it into retreat. You might be able to fend off an attack with a weapon or some other large object. No chance can you outrun it, and it is perfectly adapted to catching and killing prey on the run.

Here's a good one:

"Holy snappin' arseholes!" LOL

There's another video out there of a mountain biker that does not panic and never turns his back on a young male cougar that is really trying to figure out a way to eat him. I guarantee that if these guys ran, they would have been cat food.

Back
Top Bottom