• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

cops kill homeowner, who killed intruder

terrible incident terrible incident terrible incident
chaotic chaotic chaotic
heartbreaking heartbreaking
continuing investigation continuing investigation

Jeesus, do they teach them these bulletpoint terms at the academy?

What's that about protecting and serving? That cop should be stripped of uniform and rank and given to the family of the guy he murdered for disposal. Isn't the proper protocol to say "POLICE! DROP YOUR WEAPON!" and see if the person complies before you light the fvcking place up?

What's that about protecting and serving? That cop should be stripped of uniform and rank and given to the family of the guy he murdered for disposal. Isn't the proper protocol to say "POLICE! DROP YOUR WEAPON!" and see if the person complies before you light the fvcking place up?

Supposedly. But I am sure we will be hearing how the cop feared for his life, etc.

Really makes you think.

If you are in a similar situation, fighting off criminals when the police show up, what do you do?

Hope and pray the cops don’t murder you or shoot them first and risk being killed anyways, where if you do survive likely facing life destroying charges yourself? It’s an awful spot to be put in where the only positive outcome for you is in the hands of someone who had no accountability for their actions. That’s not fun.

Correct! Nobody is above the law!!

It's really hard to tell what happened with the article. It reads like the cop shot the first person he saw with a gun. I hope that is wrong.

Not sure what else could have happened...

Need more info, but I'll take a wild guess it is more likely than not, that the cops did something stupid. I doubt the victim saw the cops coming and then responded to that by greeting them with his gun pointed at them... no one is that dumb. Although, he might have still been carrying said gun in his hands, or had it holstered, not giving it a thought because he wasn't the bad guy, and he saved the day and the friendly cops were just coming to help.

I'd say if this ever happens to anyone here, it is probably a good idea to ditch the gun before the cops arrive, preferably locking it away in a safe rather than just holstering it. That way, they can't claim they "saw a gun"... how do you see a gun that's in a safe? This does have some risk though, in case there was more than one intruder that you didn't yet know about, you'll be defenseless.

Not as long as the officer feels/thinks they are in danger or threatened. As long as taking out the threat is priority this is what will continue to happen.
Law makers, LEO , prosecutors and judges need to fall under a higher degree of accountability before anything changes.
Same goes for high speed chases. Like the one that killed 3 people in cotuit over the weekend. Was it worth it?

Really makes you think.

If you are in a similar situation, fighting off criminals when the police show up, what do you do?

Hope and pray the cops don’t murder you or shoot them first and risk being killed anyways, where if you do survive likely facing life destroying charges yourself? It’s an awful spot to be put in where the only positive outcome for you is in the hands of someone who had no accountability for their actions. That’s not fun.

Strap on the plate carrier before the cops arrive, and put your kids in the bunker.

In both case all cops went home safe. And that’s what’s important. Just ignore the fact two innocent people were killed, it isn't a factor. Police lives are more important.

In both case all cops went home safe. And that’s what’s important. Just ignore the fact two innocent people were killed, it isn't a factor. Police lives are more important.

No, one innocent person got killed and ONE INTRUDER got killed committing his crime.

Wow, since know one knows what really went down let's not jump to conclusions. 1:30am Cops respond to a call for intruder, get there hear shot's fired and rush in see armed man and fire. I'm sure all you posters are glad the Cop in the Parkland shooting didn't enter the building.

Wow, since know one knows what really went down let's not jump to conclusions. 1:30am Cops respond to a call for intruder, get there hear shot's fired and rush in see armed man and fire. I'm sure all you posters are glad the Cop in the Parkland shooting didn't enter the building.

But we do know what went down. The police killed in innocent man. It will be interesting to see how the police apologist bootlickers try to cover this one. But they showed up and it was dark and they saw an armed man! Yeah you can all F right off with that

The expectation is that LEOs should do their job, and do it right. The Parkland cop did not, and neither did the Aurora cop. They just failed in different ways. No one is claiming it is easy, but they must be held to the same harsh standard that applies to all gun owners: you own every bullet you fire.

I'd say if this ever happens to anyone here, it is probably a good idea to ditch the gun before the cops arrive, preferably locking it away in a safe rather than just holstering it. That way, they can't claim they "saw a gun"... how do you see a gun that's in a safe? This does have some risk though, in case there was more than one intruder that you didn't yet know about, you'll be defenseless.
Don't be so naive. They can ALWAYS claim they saw a gun. Either they mistook a cell phone for a gun, or they plant a gun.

Why is it that police are never held accountable when they shoot an innocent person by mistake, but when an armed citizen does the same they get put through the legal system and face serious prison time? Rhetorical question, by the way. We all know why.

Why is it that police are never held accountable when they shoot an innocent person by mistake, but when an armed citizen does the same they get put through the legal system and face serious prison time? Rhetorical question, by the way. We all know why.
Because then Cops would refuse to engage suspects that's why.

More info at:

Attorney: Aurora police should not have shot man defending his family

Speculating, but I believe this tragedy can be laid at the foot of our overly restrictive suppressor laws. None of the reports I’ve read indicate that Mr. Black (the homeowner) was using a supressed gun but I kind of doubt that he would be because of all the NFA BS.

According to the latest reports, the cops yelled at Mr. Black to drop his gun multiple times but he did not comply. The same reports indicate that Mr. Black had just shot the intruder in the bathroom with his 9mm handgun. Can you image the temporary hearing loss after firing one or more unsuppressed shots in a bathroom? I’ve accidentally fired a 9mm having forgotten my hearing protection and couldn’t hear squat for a good 5-10 minutes. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mr. Black (who was 73) couldn’t hear a thing the cops were yelling. And since they probably had their flashlights on him, he couldn’t see them either. He pretty much would have had no idea if he was dealing with law enforcement or additional intruders; so given his background I think he would have kept his gun at the ready thus giving a jumpy cop a reason to fire.

If he had easy access to a suppressor and had used it on his home defense weapon, he might have been able to hear the cops and comply with their orders. As it was, he was effectively deaf and blind when the cops showed up and this tragic shooting was the result.

I expected his hearing to be impaired. Having said that, it really should not have mattered. "I ordered him to drop his weapon and he didn't, therefore I shot him" should not be condoned or accepted as a valid argument for shooting somebody, anyway. Holding a gun is in not, ipso facto, unlawful activity, nor can an innocent person under stress be expected always to follow commands. It's just negligent to cap the first guy you see just because he's holding a gun and you have reason to believe there's a bad guy around somewhere. The only thing that I could conceive of that would turn this around for the officer would be that the guy, in his impaired state, mistook cops for threats and actually raised his gun to point it at them.

Back
Top Bottom