• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Conway woman arrested on assault, numerous gun charges

Reptile

NES Member
CONWAY — Police responding to a domestic disturbance ended up seizing seven firearms, including a fully automatic weapon, from a woman with no license to carry or firearms identification card (FID).

Grace M. Desotle, 58, of Conway, was arrested at her home on 19 charges, including possessing a machine gun; two counts of assault and battery on a police officer; assault and battery on a family member; assault and battery with a dangerous weapon; and six counts of possessing a firearm without an FID.

Sounds like a fun girl!

Still trying to figure out why they searched the house. They had her in custody, then they searched the house.

Grace Desotle did not have a weapon in her hands, but allegedly kicked officers, threatened officers and asked them to kill her, D’Amelio’s report states.

EMTs evaluated Desotle for her cut and bleeding hands. According to police, John Desotle said his wife’s wounds were not self-inflicted, but the result of waving knives around while drunk. EMTs later reported to D’Amelio that Grace Desotle said she planned to kill her husband and herself.

A search of the home found two knives, which John Desotle identified as the ones his wife had used during the assault, D’Amelio’s report states.

Subsequent searches yielded seven firearm
s, including a loaded shotgun and an unloaded “AK-47 style” rifle underneath a bed in unlocked cases; an unlocked case with a loaded .45-caliber pistol and a fully automatic TEC-9 style firearm; and several more guns in a locked safe, according to D’Amelio’s report.

Neither Grace Desotle nor John Desotle, who said he “honestly forgot” about the guns, has a license to carry or an FID card in Massachusetts, D’Amelio stated.

According to D’Amelio’s report, John Desotle said the guns belonged to his son, Westley Desotle, who lives in Virginia, and John Desotle was compliant with the officers, opening the locked safe to show them the guns. When he opened the safe, Desotle allegedly remarked that one of the guns was his.

Westley Desotle had a Massachusetts license to carry that expired in 2018, with the issuing agency being Weymouth, not Conway, the report states.

I don't understand. Conway, NH? Would it be too much trouble for articles to mention what state a town is in? NH doesn't require (or have) FID cards. Only the machine gun should have been an issue, if she didn't have the tax stamp. Why does the MA license matter? Was she caught in MA? If so, I must have missed it in the article. I looked twice, but I didn't have my coffee yet... I guess I could have missed it.

I don't understand. Conway, NH? Would it be too much trouble for articles to mention what state a town is in? NH doesn't require (or have) FID cards. Only the machine gun should have been an issue, if she didn't have the tax stamp. Why does the MA license matter? Was she caught in MA? If so, I must have missed it in the article. I looked twice, but I didn't have my coffee yet... I guess I could have missed it.

Because it’s Conway Massachusetts.

OK, so much fail as is typical. WHY did he let them in the house and THEN WHY did he unlock the safe or say ANYTHING about firearms to the coppers? They were there for a fist/knife fight.

So this happened Saturday evening and there are court documents, so we have to assume that the firearms were tested in some way? Otherwise the copsh are just calling it a machine-gun because it looks so scary............

According to D’Amelio’s report, John Desotle said the guns belonged to his son, Westley Desotle, who lives in Virginia, and John Desotle was compliant with the officers, opening the locked safe to show them the guns. When he opened the safe, Desotle allegedly remarked that one of the guns was his.

Westley Desotle had a Massachusetts license to carry that expired in 2018, with the issuing agency being Weymouth, not Conway, the report states.
Which makes possession MERELY a civil fine, NON-criminal. Yet, I'll be on those criminal charges making it to the trial a year or two from now . . . and unless they have a firearms attorney, they will get convicted of that non-crime.

The big takeaway for me is there's a Conway, MA. Who knew!
Some of us have worked in Western Mass (where the dragons are) and are aware of many obscure towns/villages with names that we've heard of in other places. I've also learned that many towns in MA have "sister" towns in CT, NH, VT, and/or ME.

Maybe I'm a bit dense here but how would they know the Tec 9 was a machine gun as in full auto as opposed to semi without firing it. Leo's are not the greatest when it comes to firearms I.D.

Good point..... I will assume it was not a machine gun until they prove otherwise. Maybe it just had a 3 position selector switch, labeled Not Killy, Killy, and Extra Killy.

The Tec 9 may be one of the early grandfathered open bolt ones and the cops are ignorant of that. or the paper is full of shit (count on that )

Good point..... I will assume it was not a machine gun until they prove otherwise. Maybe it just had a 3 position selector switch, labeled Not Killy, Killy, and Extra Killy.

Select-fire Tec-9??? I'm wondering if they even had a safety, let alone select-fire. Pretty much an old-school open-bolt, fixed-firing pin type of gun, IIRC.

The early KG-9/tec9 was a semi auto open bolt. atf had them change the design to closed bolt but the ones out in the wild were allowed and are legal.

Select-fire Tec-9??? I'm wondering if they even had a safety, let alone select-fire. Pretty much an old-school open-bolt, fixed-firing pin type of gun, IIRC.

I have never had the pleasure of using or touching a Tec-9, so I have no idea. But, I'd guess no select fire too.

Who moves from Weymouth mass to Conway mass? And never let them in!! Disturbance happened outside, keep it outside.

Back
Top Bottom