Convinced 8 good friends to take their Safety Course

So over the past couple of weeks I've been working on getting some friends to take their pistol course and apply for their LTC's. Of the 8 (6 male-2 female) only 2-3 have any experience with firearms and the rest are anti's that I've slowly converted. One of which has adamantly refused the idea of a gun in the house, until now. I'm very excited for all of them and wish them the best.

Over the weekend I plan on having everyone over our place to go over the basics. It's a good excuse for a cookout too! I want them to handle a variety of guns, as well as learn to how to check and make them safe. One of the girls has never seen or touched a gun in her life (very anti family). How can I go about making this as comfortable as possible for them? Obviously there will be no live ammo around, I have snap caps for all my guns. Does any one have any links to some printouts I could give them to read beforehand and keep for reference?

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there. I've learned a lot from this forum and figured this would be a good place to ask!

Last edited:
Do not overwhelm them keep it simple and only show them a few guns. Leave the rest to the pro's I know that sounds like a cliché but they have a way of slowly bring them in to the gun world without scaring them away.

Well done. I convinced two of my friends to take the course a few months ago and now they're applying for their LTCs. They live in a green town so we're hoping for the best.
That's got a few more people asking questions. Momentum is building!

I agree wholeheartedly with bambame2.

I've taught firearms safety for approximately the last nine years as an NRA Instructor and Training Counselor and some basic suggestions for a non-certification informal "introduction" to firearms would include, given the audience you've described:

-Talk safety precautions first, include the "Three fundamental rules": ALWAYS keep the firearm unloaded until ready to use; ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction (and discuss / point out what that means and why); and ALWAYS keep you finger off the trigger until ready to shoot;

-The initial discussion should take place before you bring out any guns out (they can be distracting);

- limiting the initial number of guns brought out. You don't necessarily want to choose your most "impressive" guns but some basic models at first. Don't overload them - let them ask / want to see / handle more;

-Make sure you practice what you preach - don't sweep them or let them sweep anyone with the muzzle;

-Let them see you take off the trigger guard / lock if that's what you use to secure your guns, show them how and why you are checking the chamber and keep the chamber open when handling;

-If you're going to let them dry fire or in any way handle the guns make sure you tell them what you are going to have them do, demonstrate and ask if there are any questions before giving them the gun;

-Guns first, BBQ after.

In the end, if they become more comfortable, suggest a good safety course that involves shooting (some certification courses don't). Often teaching friends and family sounds fun, and it can be, but all too often it's like teaching someone to drive a standard.

Good for you and your efforts. The best cure for ignorance is knowledge. Even if they don't take up the sport, they should be less influenced by negative propaganda because they've now had at least some first hand experience.

I've found that people who are very nervous around a firearm, especially a pistol, react differently when it is laid out in front of them dissassembled when they see it for the first time. Then they can see that it is just a simple machine, not some crazy mind-of-it's-own being that shoots at random.

Do not overwhelm them keep it simple and only show them a few guns. Leave the rest to the pro's I know that sounds like a cliché but they have a way of slowly bring them in to the gun world without scaring them away.
Good point, I didn't plan on being a formal instructor. I just want them to learn basic stuff from me before being sent to class. I know I'm no pro and know my limitations.
Thanks Mike, replied

I agree wholeheartedly with bambame2.

I've taught firearms safety for approximately the last nine years as an NRA Instructor and Training Counselor and some basic suggestions for a non-certification informal "introduction" to firearms would include, given the audience you've described:

-Talk safety precautions first, include the "Three fundamental rules": ALWAYS keep the firearm unloaded until ready to use; ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction (and discuss / point out what that means and why); and ALWAYS keep you finger off the trigger until ready to shoot;

-The initial discussion should take place before you bring out any guns out (they can be distracting);

- limiting the initial number of guns brought out. You don't necessarily want to choose your most "impressive" guns but some basic models at first. Don't overload them - let them ask / want to see / handle more;

-Make sure you practice what you preach - don't sweep them or let them sweep anyone with the muzzle;

-Let them see you take off the trigger guard / lock if that's what you use to secure your guns, show them how and why you are checking the chamber and keep the chamber open when handling;

-If you're going to let them dry fire or in any way handle the guns make sure you tell them what you are going to have them do, demonstrate and ask if there are any questions before giving them the gun;

-Guns first, BBQ after.

In the end, if they become more comfortable, suggest a good safety course that involves shooting (some certification courses don't). Often teaching friends and family sounds fun, and it can be, but all too often it's like teaching someone to drive a standard.

Good for you and your efforts. The best cure for ignorance is knowledge. Even if they don't take up the sport, they should be less influenced by negative propaganda because they've now had at least some first hand experience.

T Dog, what you point out is exactly what I planned on doing. Showing how to properly handle, check and make secure a weapon. Nothing fancy or scary, keep it simple, a revolver and semi is all I planned to use. Snap caps, cable and trigger locks to demonstrate how to check and clear/make safe and secure.

Do any of them have young kids?

Yes, a married couple with a 2 year old.

Let me know if you want help or some other guns that they can handle. (not sure what you have)

I have a variety of glocks, an HK USP compact, a few 1911's, a j-frame revolver

Let me know if you want help or some other guns that they can handle. (not sure what you have)

I have a variety of glocks, an HK USP compact, a few 1911's, a j-frame revolver

Thanks Underwhere but I have plenty. I'm going to go with a Star PD (compact 1911), Sigma and my Dan Wesson 15-2 4" .357. I should be able to cover everything with those 3. I would like to fondle the USPc though! Maybe one of these days I'll be able to make it to a members shoot.

do you have an airsoft pistol/rifle, or a air powered bb gun, or co2 pistol, etc.

The thought is that after the safety lesson, and before the cookout and beer, to do a brief "target shoot" using air powered "firearms"...as an intro to the joy of "target shooting" and hitting a target.

If it is pellet or BB gun, maybe some balloons for the interactive aspect.

this would get them pumped to actually plan to make the effort to go to the range and the safety class.

I've found that people who are very nervous around a firearm, especially a pistol, react differently when it is laid out in front of them dissassembled when they see it for the first time. Then they can see that it is just a simple machine, not some crazy mind-of-it's-own being that shoots at random.

Good point, but due to time constraints I think I'll just bring them out secured as much as possible. Watching me re-construct the 1911 might just scare them all![laugh]

do you have an airsoft pistol/rifle, or a air powered bb gun, or co2 pistol, etc.

The thought is that after the safety lesson, and before the cookout and beer, to do a brief "target shoot" using air powered "firearms"...as an intro to the joy of "target shooting" and hitting a target.

If it is pellet or BB gun, maybe some balloons for the interactive aspect.

this would get them pumped to actually plan to make the effort to go to the range and the safety class.
That's a great idea, I do have a CO2 pistol and a nice break action pellet gun. They never even crossed my mind to be honest, but I'll have to play it by ear. See how they take to handling the intro first.

For the married couple, I'd want to say something about kids - you know the standard Eddie Eagle kind of stuff. Let them know that even if they decide guns aren't for them, it's easier to gun proof kids than it is to kid proof guns.

That way even if they decide guns are icky and want nothing to do with them, they should still impress on their kids what to do if they ever see one.

For the married couple, I'd want to say something about kids - you know the standard Eddie Eagle kind of stuff. Let them know that even if they decide guns aren't for them, it's easier to gun proof kids than it is to kid proof guns.

That way even if they decide guns are icky and want nothing to do with them, they should still impress on their kids what to do if they ever see one.

The two we speak of are probably the closest friends of the group. They are very nervous about taking the step of gun ownership, but trust me with their lives. I've pushed gun safety since the day the issue was brought up and they feel very comfortable around me and my firearms. Hence the reason I want to take this slowly and methodically with all involved. I would think the first purchase in their home will be a good safe, then a HD gun. Their son and my son are a year apart and will grow up learning about guns together. I look forward to the day we can shoot together as families.

I think thats awesome. I did a very similar thing about 5 years ago. I wanted my wife to get her LTC and she didn't want to take a class by herself so I asked the instructor how many people he required to put a class on? He said minimum of 8 so I recruited 8 people. Only 1 had even handled a firearm before and 5 of those went on to get their LTC. I have a son that I have taken to the range since he was about 9 yrs. old and he is now 16 and can break down my guns better than me. I know that if he finds himself in a spot where someone is trying to impress with a gun he is no longer full of questions and will surely ask what they are trying to do. Too many people think all gun owners have the mentality that " DEAD IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH" I have been to places where guns are outlawed and the only firearms are AK's in the hands of people that come into the villages and hurt children to control the adults. These people can't go at them with shovels. I love my sons but if you harm my wife or my daughters you will have my undivided attention, that is why I encourage people to get licensed. It's harder to take something away from someone later than to deny them. Have a great time and GOD Bless!

I second this. Try to get them to take the same class as a group or better yet a private class just for the 8 of them. It will be more fun for them to do it together. Also, they should take NRA Basic Pistol or some other course that requires shooting - the more the better. While a home safety course meets the legal requirement it does little for generating enthusiasm.

I second this. Try to get them to take the same class as a group or better yet a private class just for the 8 of them. It will be more fun for them to do it together. Also, they should take NRA Basic Pistol or some other course that requires shooting - the more the better. While a home safety course meets the legal requirement it does little for generating enthusiasm.

From what it sounds like, there will only be maybe one or two other people in the class so they should be alright.

LTC training course - GOAL

I took a semi-private Goal training course this week with Jon Green (9am-5pm). The class was excellent as was the instructor. It was very interesting and moved along quickly. We spent a few hours on the range handling different types of guns and practicing various scenarios. I would highly recommend this class to anyone.

PharmDoc

Well, Tuesday's class went very well and everyone passed with flying colors. It also woke up our libs in the group who grew up very ANTI. They have all said "I feel so much more American now!" I've gotten phone calls from all involved thanking me for the help and also asking why they didn't do it sooner. I feel good about how everything went and would also like to personally thank all those who helped from this forum. You know who you are and you ROCK!

6 of the 9 I introduced to the course have already taken the next step and I wish them the best of luck![rockon]

Back
Top Bottom