Considering upgrading Dillon 550B to 650

I've had my Dillon RL550B and considering upgrading to the 650. Anyone own both? Opinions? I currently reload 9mm, 45ACP, 357, and 40S&W, and just started 223.

I agree with Keith as well. If you shoot one caliber a lot get a 650 with casefeeder and add the K.I.S.S. bulletfeeder and you'll be in heaven. I have a 650 and a 1050 with a bulletfeeder and it rocks!!! If you shoot a lot of different calibers keep one press setup for large primers and one for small.

I agree with Keith as well. If you shoot one caliber a lot get a 650 with casefeeder and add the K.I.S.S. bulletfeeder and you'll be in heaven. I have a 650 and a 1050 with a bulletfeeder and it rocks!!! If you shoot a lot of different calibers keep one press setup for large primers and one for small.

Mmmm, Think I should look at the 1050 ?

The 1050 is definately a better machine than anything else. However, it does have some limitations. If you switch calibers often then don't buy the 1050. It takes a while to change calibers and if I need to change I will simply buy another press or just keep using my 650 as I'm currently doing. The learning curve on the 1050 is much higher than the 650 and takes some tuning (at least on mine) to get it working 100%. That being said I will never be without a 1050 again. If you're shooting a ton and want to cut your reloading down then go with the 1050 but if you're only shooting 1000 rounds or so a month then the 650 is the way to go. Save your money on the 1050 and buy another gun. LOL

Pete

Looked over the 1050. Too much machine for my needs. Going to go with the 650. Probably keep the 550 as well and keep it set up for 223.

Thanks. I needed these opinions.

My bench evolved somewhat differently.

I had the opportunity to pick up another 550, as-new for very short money. As it came w/Dillon .45 ACP dies (and a lot of other stuff!), it became THE large primer machine (which is to say, the .45 machine) and the original 550 does all the small primer calibers.

Since I had 3 spare 550 toolheads, it seemed the cost-effective way to go.

Keep in mind that the 1050 does NOT come with the Dillon lifetime warranty which may be important to some loaders. I have had the RL550 for about 15 years and have thought about upgrading a few times now. Every time I consider it I end up passing. I actually like the manual indexing of the 550, and about the only time I get to inspect a brass case is when I put it in the press so I wouldn't want a case feeder. Of course, this may be how I brainwashed myself into not upgrading. I'll never know, but for now the 550 loads 500 rounds per hour which is plenty to satisfy my 1000 rounds per month shooting habit. Rather than upgrade I spend the extra money on bullets/primers/powder.
That's my $ 0.02 worth, but with inflation it may not be worth quite that much...
-Cuz.

The 1050 is definately a better machine than anything else. However, it does have some limitations. If you switch calibers often then don't buy the 1050. It takes a while to change calibers and if I need to change I will simply buy another press or just keep using my 650 as I'm currently doing. The learning curve on the 1050 is much higher than the 650 and takes some tuning (at least on mine) to get it working 100%. That being said I will never be without a 1050 again. If you're shooting a ton and want to cut your reloading down then go with the 1050 but if you're only shooting 1000 rounds or so a month then the 650 is the way to go. Save your money on the 1050 and buy another gun. LOL

Pete

I love my 1050 but agree that caliber conversions are a problem. Extra tool heads are $110!

I replaced two 550's with one 650 and the casefeed assembly - it was the best reloading decision I've ever made. 5 minute caliber conversion, prime on the push stroke, auto index ... etc.

I reload all the calibers you specify and 38 Super.

I would highly recommend the 650!

upgrade, but keep your other one in case you want to make those 223s
i have every one of their machines (well, not super1050, just regular 1050), and each has it's place.
the 1050 may not have a stated life time warranty, but i did break mine a few years ago, and dillon fixed it for nothing but the cost of me shipping it to them.
and it's got to be 15 years old by now, don't know exactly because i bought it used about 8 years ago

My bench evolved somewhat differently.

I had the opportunity to pick up another 550, as-new for very short money. As it came w/Dillon .45 ACP dies (and a lot of other stuff!), it became THE large primer machine (which is to say, the .45 machine) and the original 550 does all the small primer calibers.

Since I had 3 spare 550 toolheads, it seemed the cost-effective way to go.

I did about the same thing. I had the original machine running with large primers and starting loading some calibers with small primers so I found a used machine for those. Also remember the conversion kits for the 650 are about $30.00 more than the 550.

Back
Top Bottom