• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Considering my first SBR. Am I missing anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have just illustrated one other benefit of a trust. No need to wait for anyone or anything. Fill out the Form 1, include a copy of the trust, and mail it off. After you do 3 or 4, it will take you all of 10 minutes to complete Form 1 from beginning to in the envelope ready to ship.

Its not just the no LE signoff. Its no prints, no picture, no nothing.

Don

Eform is much quicker turnaround than mailing in forms!

Great point.

But it doesn't change the fact that a trust eliminates all of those things I mentioned. So substitute the word "Submitted" for "in the envelope ready to ship". Its the same point.

also include your LTC, some examiners seem to have an issue with folks who don't, yet other guys said they didn't have problems. it's just the "this is legal to own in my state" thing. YMMV.
Just to clarify, including a copy of your LTC is mandatory if you live in Massachusetts. Zero reason for NH residents to include a copy of your P&R License.

i agree with do not engrave it until you get the stamp. if it's wrong you're gonna feel like a total ******* with a ****ed up lower.
It's a tough call. Many people engrave first, then submit the paperwork afterwards.

I'd rather have extraneous engraving on a $120 lower than have something go wrong after I get the tax stamp (lost in transit, FUBARd engraving) and be out not only $120 for the lower, but also $200 for the now useless stamp and also X months of wait time.

Just to clarify, including a copy of your LTC is mandatory if you live in Massachusetts. Zero reason for NH residents to include a copy of your P&R License.

It's a tough call. Many people engrave first, then submit the paperwork afterwards.

I'd rather have extraneous engraving on a $120 lower than have something go wrong after I get the tax stamp (lost in transit, FUBARd engraving) and be out not only $120 for the lower, but also $200 for the now useless stamp and also X months of wait time.

But the real question is why you are spending $120 on a lower in the first place.

I must have misread something a while back on the wait of individual forms. It's still a pretty long wait. At this point I don't think I will change it and still submit it as an individual. I still may contact a lawyer in the near future and work out a trust though. I guess we'll see how it goes.

The way I see it both individual and trust filings have their benefits and disadvantages.

Thirty days for an efile is an acceptable wait for me. Six months for a paper filing isn't but perhaps I need to have more patience with .gov?

Thirty days for an efile is an acceptable wait for me. Six months for a paper filing isn't but perhaps I need to have more patience with .gov?

If we needed these offensive NFA laws at all, which I submit that we do not, there's no reason why it couldn't be as simple as running a NICS check. Yes there are various state laws to comply with, but surely they have a cheat sheet for that.

If we needed these offensive NFA laws at all, which I submit that we do not, there's no reason why it couldn't be as simple as running a NICS check. Yes there are various state laws to comply with, but surely they have a cheat sheet for that.

Well that is a thread unto its own and I don't disagree with you. I was commenting on working within the current system and how best to deal with the ATF (that also shouldn't exist).

The way I see it both individual and trust filings have their benefits and disadvantages.

I'm not trying to bust your stones. But other than the expense and effort of setting up the trust in the first place, I do not know of any disadvantages.

I tell people that if all you intend to get are some SBR ARs, which are basically worthless. (Remember we are talking about the firearm (lower) only. ) then a trust done by quicken willmaker is fine. It may not cover you if you die, but who cares. destroy the lowers and sell everything else as parts.

However, if you intend to invest in machine guns, HK SBRs, or even silencers, then its worth your while to pay for a proper trust from an attorney.

Don

I agree with what you are saying. I can't say down the road whether or not I will have more NFA stuff. In MA, I'm honestly not so sure but if I got to NH, yes I most likely will. A lot of it comes down to money than anything else. There is also nothing that says I can't do a trust down the road and submit that too. Hell, I could do a trust tomorrow and assign another lower if I wanted and get a stamp faster.

One thing, in my opinion, which is a positive from getting them to sign it, is the fact the signed it. I will say that the initial call to the chief to inquire about it was not made by me. They had really never done one before and at first really had no idea what I was looking to do. Once I got to talk to a few of the guys at the station, everyone was really cool about it. There was a little miscommunication at first but it wasn't pertaining to what I was trying to do, just meeting times got delayed due to storms. Which, I can't place blame for that. Maybe in the future they will be more open to signing the forms? Who knows? It was also kind of nice to meet some of the people down there. In my city you don't meet with the licensing officer when you do your LTC paperwork. I had a different dept. process the prints since I was able to get in there over the weekend and those guys were really cool. One of the guys who did my prints has an SBR and 2 16" AR's. He was a super nice guy. So all in all, at least in my case, I think I can take some positives out of it. For most people who can't get that initial "in" with the department I would recommend the trust and if I get into doing more NFA stuff down the road I am going to do a trust.

I think I am confused. The positives that you are taking away from this are that you had a good time at the station and that they let you do it after multiple explanations? Please help me where the positives are with you begging to exercise your rights and having them arbitrarily adjudicated by people who know nothing about the subject of their judgement?

Having a trust bypasses all of these fun conversations about exercising your natural rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom