• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Connecticut man seen brutally attacking police officer with hammer on body camera

Reptile

NES Member

Body camera footage shows the suspect charging towards the police officer as she repeatedly asks him to stop​

A female Connecticut police officer was ferociously attacked by a hammer-wielding man, police said.

The Middletown Police Department said that on Saturday, August 12 at 6:33 p.m., authorities received a complaint about noise and breaking glass on a residential street.

Detective Karli Travis, who runs the Middletown Police Cadet Program and serves in the patrol division, was the first officer who responded to the call. She approached the resident on foot and police said that she immediately noticed that the suspect, 52-year-old Winston Tate, was wielding a blunt object.

Continues...

She shot him and he survived.

That's what I get for depending on Fox Snews to get the story right.

I read the article and wondered where all of the rounds went when she did start firing? She didn't hit him, that seems obvious.

Last edited:

Body camera footage shows the suspect charging towards the police officer as she repeatedly asks him to stop​

A female Connecticut police officer was ferociously attacked by a hammer-wielding man, police said.

The Middletown Police Department said that on Saturday, August 12 at 6:33 p.m., authorities received a complaint about noise and breaking glass on a residential street.

Detective Karli Travis, who runs the Middletown Police Cadet Program and serves in the patrol division, was the first officer who responded to the call. She approached the resident on foot and police said that she immediately noticed that the suspect, 52-year-old Winston Tate, was wielding a blunt object.

Continues...

She shot him and he survived.
shot and survived? double tap

Most departments don't staff with all two officer vehicles. Boston did until Prop 2 1/2. Most departments have figured out that it's more cost effective to send two officers in individual cruisers than keep two officers partnered all the time.

Whether it's better tactically or not, I don't know.

Remember when cops patrolled in pairs?

With all the violence these days maybe cops should not be sent out on the streets alone.

Probably because he is 6'+ Iraq war army vet and she isn't. She's got multiple shots on target and is still lucky to be alive.

From
Tate has a prior 2018 case involving an assault on an officer.

She knew he had a hammer and was moving toward her while talking shit when he was still on the other side of the fence. Her commands to drop it sounded almost lazy, saying "please" like she didn't want to offend him (probably because he was black). She didn't even draw her weapon until he was way beyond the fence and almost on top of her.

Lack of command presence and command voice. "Drop the f***ing hammer or I'll shoot you." might be more effective. As General Patton said, "When I want it to stick I give it to them loud and dirty."

She knew he had a hammer and was moving toward her while talking shit when he was still on the other side of the fence. Her commands to drop it sounded almost lazy, saying "please" like she didn't want to offend him (probably because he was black). She didn't even draw her weapon until he was way beyond the fence and almost on top of her.

Last edited:
Remember when cops patrolled in pairs?

With all the violence these days maybe cops should not be sent out on the streets alone.
Cops in smaller jurisdiction usually patrol solo. Their force isn't large enough for two-officer cars.

she's really lucky...one hammer blow to her head and it would have been over. I'm wondering where she shot him and how many times. I counted six shots, and it only looks like the last one was a torso shot

Cops in smaller jurisdiction usually patrol solo. Their force isn't large enough for two-officer cars.
OK, I really didn't want to go there but..... Maybe they should not send out Women LEO's on their own to deal with situations like this no matter how well they are trained.

I am not questioning her competency whatsoever, just the ability to physically handle a situation by herself.

Screenshot-2023-08-15-at-4.13.49-PM.jpg

I thought female cops were far more likely to draw their guns earlier in an altercation since they're smaller than the perps? This detective looks like a tiny White woman being charged by a BIG BLACC. In Connecticut, cops are allowed to have the full designed capacity of their guns unlike the civilians so I'm surprised she didn't mag dump his ass the moment he started running. Way too compassionate. Take note, detective - THIS is how you're supposed to put down a dangerous black man with a melee weapon:

View: https://twitter.com/shanermurph/status/1590132108013756416

View attachment 786130

I thought female cops were far more likely to draw their guns earlier in an altercation since they're smaller than the perps? This detective looks like a tiny White woman being charged by a BIG BLACC. In Connecticut, cops are allowed to have the full designed capacity of their guns unlike the civilians so I'm surprised she didn't mag dump his ass the moment he started running. Way too compassionate. Take note, detective - THIS is how you're supposed to put down a dangerous black man with a melee weapon:

View: https://twitter.com/shanermurph/status/1590132108013756416

Grandpa luck approves.

This is a good example of how handguns suck at stopping people like this.
Even if all 6 shots hit his torso, waiting for an attacker like this to blead out takes an eternity.
The best way to stop this type of attack immediately with a handgun is to put one between the running lights.
1692288515781.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom