Confused over FTF

So I was hoping to find that I could save a fuew bucks over the long haul by getting my own FTF license or whatever I needed to get firearms sent directly to me (aka cut out the middle man). I went to the ATF website and clicked on what I thought I needed for paperwork and they mailed it to me. Opening it tonight, all I have is a FBI fingerprint card, and a piece of paper asking me what else I want to order. I'm at a loss as to what I need to request. Do I need a tax-exempt transfer of firearm or just a transfer and registration of firearm? Or somthing comptetely different? Anyone with experience or knowledge on this please help.

Do you mean FFL?

I think s/he does.

From what I understand, if it's a home FFL you want, it's impossible or at least nearly impossible to get. This could be in reference to a C&R FFL though, but I don't have experience applying for either one.

Last I heard about a month ago, you have to posses at least three state permits to get an FFL. Now don't quote me on this, it came from an ATF agent and we all know how realiable the LEOs are.

No, state permits in three separate states. So like an LTC in MA, CT, and NH. Again, this came from an ATF person, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last I heard about a month ago, you have to posses at least three state permits to get an FFL. Now don't quote me on this, it came from an ATF agent and we all know how realiable the LEOs are.

Wrong (again).

The BATF will only issue a type 01 FFL to a "business" in MA and state law requires the 'business' not be a place of residence. There are a lot other restrictions and there is an interview/inspection by the BATFE and your local CLEO needs to get involved. I do not have an 01 FFL as I did not want to get into the firearms business.

An 03 FFL (a.k.a. C&R FFL) is a simple application with a $30 fee. NOTHING else is required. I have one of these...as do many on this board.

An 06 FFL (ammo man'f) application is similar to an 01 FFL application in many respects. You must have established a business for the FFL, you must have fingerprints taken, the ATF will interview you and pay you a visit. You also will need a MA License to sell ammo. I have one of these as well.

An 07 FFL (weapons man'f) application is another can of worms. I don't know much about this one as I never applied for one.

Gone are the days of yore in MA where just about anyone could get an FFL and buy/sell firearms off their back porch.

A search of this forum will turn up a lot more info on the subject. I offer this post to defray/offset some misinformation.

Wrong (again).

The BATF will only issue a type 01 FFL to a "business" in MA and state law requires the 'business' not be a place of residence. There are a lot other restrictions and there is an interview/inspection by the BATFE and your local CLEO needs to get involved. I do not have an 01 FFL as I did not want to get into the firearms business.

An 03 FFL (a.k.a. C&R FFL) is a simple application with a $30 fee. NOTHING else is required. I have one of these...as do many on this board.

An 06 FFL (ammo man'f) application is similar to an 01 FFL application in many respects. You must have established a business for the FFL, you must have fingerprints taken, the ATF will interview you and pay you a visit. You also will need a MA License to sell ammo. I have one of these as well.

An 07 FFL (weapons man'f) application is another can of worms. I don't know much about this one as I never applied for one.

Gone are the days of yore in MA where just about anyone could get an FFL and buy/sell firearms off their back porch.

A search of this forum will turn up a lot more info on the subject. I offer this post to defray/offset some misinformation.

That's why I said trust it with a grain of salt.

No, state permits in three separate states. So like an LTC in MA, CT, and NH. Again, this came from an ATF person, so take it with a grain of salt.

Are you certain about what you heard? Permits from three different states?

My local dealer has about three permits from the Commonwealth to operate his store. I believe one is to sell firearms, one to sell ammunition, and I "think" a third one that has to do with operating the business. I would have to go back and check but this seems like a more likely explanation of what the ATF agent was trying to say.

Are you certain about what you heard? Permits from three different states?

My local dealer has about three permits from the Commonwealth to operate his store. I believe one is to sell firearms, one to sell ammunition, and I "think" a third one that has to do with operating the business. I would have to go back and check but this eems like a more likely explanation of what the ATF agent was trying to say.

Nope, gmmo said it was bad info. Came from an agent, so I'm not surprised.

That's why I said trust it with a grain of salt.

Then why post it? If you don't know for certain, why post something "you heard" that could be misunderstood and lead someone down the wrong road? That is just an uncool thing to do to someone. Myself and several others have offered you advice on this forum (some were nice, some not so nice). Before you touch your keyboard again, be certain of your facts. I mean you no insult. I assume you DO want your posts to be meaningful and not considered mere 'forum clutter', yes? Like I said in another post - lighten up....take it easy....slow down and think a bit more before typing.

Then why post it? If you don't know for certain, why post something "you heard" that could be misunderstood and lead someone down the wrong road? That is just an uncool thing to do to someone. Myself and several others have offered you advice on this forum (some were nice, some not so nice). Before you touch your keyboard again, be certain of your facts. I mean you no insult. I assume you DO want your posts to be meaningful and not considered mere 'forum clutter', yes? Like I said in another post - lighten up....take it easy....slow down and think a bit more before typing.

Good advice, will do gmmo. I guess I get anxious to help, but you're right, if it's not confirmed, it's not helpful.

Good advice, will do gmmo. I guess I get anxious to help, but you're right, if it's not confirmed, it's not helpful.

Cool enough then. Thats a "Q" in qmmo, not a "G". Also the name of a hobby that got way out of control and turned into a part time business - qmmo.net.

there is a great deal of that going on lately.....

Wrong (again).

Jack's the guy to talk to about the 07FFL

So I was hoping to find that I could save a fuew bucks over the long haul by getting my own FTF license or whatever I needed to get firearms sent directly to me (aka cut out the middle man). I went to the ATF website and clicked on what I thought I needed for paperwork and they mailed it to me. Opening it tonight, all I have is a FBI fingerprint card, and a piece of paper asking me what else I want to order. I'm at a loss as to what I need to request. Do I need a tax-exempt transfer of firearm or just a transfer and registration of firearm? Or somthing comptetely different? Anyone with experience or knowledge on this please help.

Welcome to the forum. [wave] FTF means "Face To Face." It refers to a private transaction between two individuals; basically, for a handgun, both parties must be properly licensed and residents of the same state. If you're talking about buying modern firearms from wholesalers, then you're talking about becoming a dealer.

I think the person who told you that was having some fun at your expense. Not nice to do. Probably the same kind of person who would hand a new shooter a S&W 500 with full-house loads to watch the reaction. [thinking]

From what I hear getting a 01 FFL in MA without a store front is almost impossible. But for an 03 FFL C&R check out this thread http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=104

If you want to buy curio and relic firearms without going through a dealer, then the 03 FFL is the way to go. [smile]

Wrong (again).

Very good advice from qmmo. Heed the parts in bold.

I had a type 01 FFL in the late 90's. At the time the 3 Licenses required by the State of Mass. were License to Perform Services of a Gunsmith, License to Sell Ammunition and License to Sell, Rent or Lease Firearms, Shotguns and Rifles. Could be different now as it has been 12 years since I had them. At the time the BATF were getting stricter on what they defined as a businees and it wasn't worth the hassle to do it out of a home.

543 posts in less than 5 weeks; many clearly erroneous, the rest little better. Perhaps it is you who should "give it a rest."

On that subject, I note your arrogance in addressing total strangers by their first names, indicating the conceit you actually have some sort of relationship with them. You don't.

You also presume to subject them to your solicitations for information, as if you are somehow entitled to have them provide it. You aren't; they don't.

Grasp the concepts.

I had a type 01 FFL in the late 90's. At the time the 3 Licenses required by the State of Mass. were License to Perform Services of a Gunsmith, License to Sell Ammunition and License to Sell, Rent or Lease Firearms, Shotguns and Rifles. Could be different now as it has been 12 years since I had them. At the time the BATF were getting stricter on what they defined as a businees and it wasn't worth the hassle to do it out of a home.

I also had an 01FFL in the 90s. I don't recall needing anything except the FFL. What hung me in the end was a zoning issue.

Keith, I apologized for the post, give it a rest. Why don't you go get yourself banned for the third time? I hear it's a charm.

You're not listening. We can't (and I won't) help/guide you if you don't or won't listen. You're not getting it - you need to stop this kind of stuff now.

You're not listening. We can't (and I won't) help/guide you if you don't or won't listen. You're not getting it - you need to stop this kind of stuff now.

he doesnt get it because he doesnt want to get it. He is a well planned out troll playing just stupid enough to get people to keep giving him info, but not so stupid that he gets picked up on the usual troll radars. I suggest no one respond to any of his posts anymore. That tends to flush'em out.

I also had an 01FFL in the 90s. I don't recall needing anything except the FFL. What hung me in the end was a zoning issue.

A lot of guys got axed by that, and profit motive. After Klinton had admin changes made with the whole thing, the number of Type 01s was cut down by a very, very large number. It used to be that everyone knew a gun friend that was a Type 01, not anymore. [sad2]

-Mike

A lot of guys got axed by that, and profit motive. After Klinton had admin changes made with the whole thing, the number of Type 01s was cut down by a very, very large number. It used to be that everyone knew a gun friend that was a Type 01, not anymore.

That and jacking the license fees up - what; fourfold? It was a deliberate program to eliminate dealers and it worked.

Back
Top Bottom